This year I had 2 homeschool Tiger cubs. They had some difficulty initially adapting to the social setting of multiple boys and parents, however it did not take them long to be active in the den.

Paul

The reason why I was asking about other scouts who homeschool is this: my oldest son (he is 12, just finishing his First Class requirements) is one of four boys (out of 50) in our troop that homeschool. All four families utilize the scouting program. The problem we are running into is that some of the other leaders think these boys are doing "too many" merit badges.

My son is working on his 16th (in a year and a half). Another boy just finished his 24th. We have tried explaining that the boys are doing Merit Badges as their primary "curriculum"...but one of the leaders is under the impression that the parents are pushing the boys. (The only merit badge we have made "mandatory" for our son is Family Life).

I am wondering how other units handle this situation.

Regarding Paul with 2 homeschooled Tigers having "some difficulty initially adapting to the social setting of multiple boys and parents, however it did not take them long to be active in the den."

In general, the Tigers that have come through my Pack (I have been an active Cub Scout leader for 7 years, Boy Scout leader for almost 2), usually take a while to adapt to multiple boys and parents...that is a developmental issue, regardless of where the kids are educated.

We have only been homeschooling for 2 1/2 years. Both of my older boys were in a public school when they started scouting.

Just wondering...how much do you know about homeschoolers? In our area, there seems to be a prevailing attitude that homeschooling parents keep their kids in the home all day, away from other kids and adults. Not true here...we belong to an extensive group of homeschoolers...meeting with 10-50 other families several days a week (Tuesday is an "at home" day).

This is in reference to "kdhoogland". When you say that merit badges are used for their primary "curriculum", is this in regards to their home schooling??? Either way, there are "checks and balances" in the Scouting advancement program. Each merit badge has to be approved BEFORE the Scout starts, by the Scoutmaster. Because of the Scoutmaster's "Conferences" with the Scout, he/she has an idea of the Scout's advancement pace, and can guide and offer advice. It DOES sound like too many merit badges in too short of a period. Are all of the merit badge counselors registered and approved for teaching each of these merit badges? Scoutmaster Conferences and Boards of Reviews, are great places to discuss each Scout's advancement, and ensure that all appropriate policies (Troop, Council, and National) are being followed. If merit badges are being used as part of the home schooling primary curriculum, I can see how other Scouts may see an unfair advantage when THEY have to work merit badge programs into their busy lives OUTSIDE of their school work, activities, and family responsibilities. There can and should be a "balance". Sounds like a time for open discussion with the adult leaders, so there are no "concerns" with all parties.

Anderson

"When you say that merit badges are used for their primary "curriculum", is this in regards to their home schooling???"

Yes! And this topic was discussed at GREAT lenghth last September, at Philmont, during the conference "Scouting for the Homeschooled". The majority of the scouters/parents who attended are using scouting resources in their homeschools.

"Either way, there are "checks and balances" in the Scouting advancement program. "

As a trained leader, I make sure ALL the scouts which are in my patrol understand the protocol for merit badge work. Our scoutmaster allows the scouts to work on no more than three merit badges at one time.

"It DOES sound like too many merit badges in too short of a period."

In the case of my son, he has earned 16 merit badges in fifteen months. 3 were earned last year at summer camp. 3 others were earned in merit badge clinics which I set up for the ENTIRE troop to participate in. He has done 10 merit badges on his own over the last FIFTEEN months. I do not think this is excessive.

"Are all of the merit badge counselors registered and approved for teaching each of these merit badges? "

Yes they are...and all but 2 of the merit badges have been counseled by approved counselors OUTSIDE of troop leaders.

"Scoutmaster Conferences and Boards of Reviews, are great places to discuss each Scout's advancement, and ensure that all appropriate policies (Troop, Council, and National) are being followed."

I agree with you 100%. I also think these are intended to discuss each individual scout's advancement...and one scout should not be compared to another.

"If merit badges are being used as part of the home schooling primary curriculum, I can see how other Scouts may see an unfair advantage when THEY have to work merit badge programs into their busy lives OUTSIDE of their school work, activities, and family responsibilities."

While I cannot speak for other homeschoolers, I do know that my son has similar responsibilities and obligations to other youth who are in traditional schools. No, he is not in a traditional school for 6 hours a day, but he IS busy. His "school", outside of scouting work, takes about 2 hours each day (he uses a regular math text and a grammar book). He does community services three days a week. Everyone has the same 24 hours a day...he chooses to spend much of his free time on scouting activities. By his choice, he does not sit in front of a TV for hours each day. I don't think this is an unfair advantage.

By the way, none of the other scouts have complained that he has earned too many merit badges...just some of the leaders. (and there are other scouts with a like number of merit badges...and they go to a traditional school). The problem I see is that most of the scouts are involved in TOO MANY activities. My son is involved in scouts and in a homemade-band with some of his friends. He isn't juggled baseball, soccer, wresting, and scouting at once.

KD - Being a member of the District Curriculum Coordinating Council, having regular contact with several differant parents who homeschool, and having considered it myself (my disableing conditions are too severe for the day-to-day rigors of home school), I know a fair bit about home school.

> Just wondering...how much do you know about homeschoolers?

Unfortunately that is not a rumor, but a fact here. The homeschoolers here GENERALLY meet with each other once a month. One of the mothers was very rude to the new den leader for daring to PHONE her to let her know about a scout activity - it took too much time away from her kids, and the only contact she wanted was via e-mail, which the new leader did not have!

I realise that this woman is an exception, however when she shows up to a meeting, she is a distraction (she always has her infant with, and cannot do anything with her son because the infant is used to the constant attention).

>In our area, there seems to be a prevailing attitude that homeschooling parents keep their kids in the home all day, away from other kids and adults.

When you mention that the "difficulty associating" was an age issue, I was speaking relative to only other Tigers. I have been a Tiger coach for 4 years. 2 with my own sons, and 2 without any of my family there. I also have several years tutoring the same age children, as well as extensive education with human development. One child obviously had spent almost no time with anyone but his family. The other had some outside contact and adapted much more quickly.

Now to your concerns about the other parents or leaders thinking your sons have advanced too fast. The reason I have been named Cub Leader of the Year in the past was due to the involvement of my den boys. I have a better than 90% advancement (only 1 boy in each of Wolf and Bear did not advance, and they could not get a parent to help with the home based items). My Webelos had all earned 10 requirements inside 7 months of promotion to Webelos, and only 1 boy is likeley not to earn all 20. Again, this boy has no parental involvement, and must depend on his grandmother.

IF the boys are being counseled by registered MB counselors, doing all the work, and learning the material, don't worry about the other leaders. If your school district allows you to use the MB items in your curricula, good. Keep up the good work.

Paul Johnson

Paul:

You said: "IF the boys are being counseled by registered MB counselors, doing all the work, and learning the material, don't worry about the other leaders. If your school district allows you to use the MB items in your curricula, good. Keep up the good work. "

Yes, all the boys in the troop, regardless of where they attend school, only work with registered MB counselors.

Regarding the school district here (in Illinois), it has NO involvement in my homeschool. In Illinois, and in several other states as well, homeschools are considered private schools. We are not required to have any school district approve our "curriculum".

Congrats on being named Cub Leader of the Year...it is a great honor to earn that award. Both my husband and I have earned that several times as well. Like you, we have been den leaders for several years (hubby was also Cubmaster for four years...just stepped down to Asst. Cubmaster). I currently am a Webelos Leader.

In our area, Chicago Area Council, I am helping to set up a position of homeschool liason...someone to help Council figure out what to do with homeschoolers who are in scouts...what their needs are (especially if there are learning disabilities that need to be addressed...we have several families in our local homeschool group who are now joining scout units, and they homeschool primarily to address the individual needs of the boy with learning problems). SOME of the requirements need to be modified for homeschoolers (off the top of my head, the Scholar badge for Webelos has to be adjusted a bit...the outline of a homeschool is pretty different from a public/private school in terms of who is "principal", "administrator", etc).

You said: "The homeschoolers here GENERALLY meet with each other once a month. One of the mothers was very rude to the new den leader for daring to PHONE her to let her know about a scout activity - it took too much time away from her kids, and the only contact she wanted was via e-mail, which the new leader did not have! "

Sounds like you have had some experience with homeschoolers...and learned what I have learned: there are rude parents everywhere...not just of public/private schooled kids, but also of homeschooled kids. I have not had any bad experiences with rude parents of homeschoolers in my Cub Pack because we are the ONLY family that homeschools in our Cub Pack. But you can bet I have had parents become rude and irritated when I have phoned for some reason or another. I know several folks in our Cub Pack that prefer to be notified by email, rather than a phone call.

Regarding the Tigers learning to "socialize"...I think it is pretty rare for most homeschoolers to keep away from other families/kids, etc. I HAVE run into two families who pretty much keep to themselves...this is not something that I have ever chosen to do for my boys. I think it is important for kids to be out in the world...both with their families and with other kids. Most of the homeschoolers in the group I belong to (over 100 families), are of the same opinion.

Can you tell me more about the District Curriculum Coordinating Council? Is this something to do with BSA? or is it a school thing?

Thanks,

Karen

Regarding the CCC, it is made up of 2 staff, and 1 parent, and principal from each school within the district, as well as 2 "district employees" and 2 school board members.

The purpose of the CCC is to review changes proposed to the curricula within the district, ensure that it meets state standards, and when it is acceptable, reccomend it to the school board. This saves the school board a lot of work.

Here, in Wyoming, home schoolers must have approval from the district. They must present the curricula and, once approved, the students are required to take the same "standard" tests at the same grades as in the public schools. If the student is failing the standard tests, then they are required to register in either a public or private school. (There are 3 private schools in our county, larger than the state of Rhode Island)

Although serving on the CCC is relatively "easy", we do run into the usual controversies, especially in "health" and a few other topics.

We also ran into a major conflict when the state declared that it would be raising standards for graduation. There are a number of parents (and a few staff) that deal with "normal" kids who do not apply themselves that want a lowering, not raising of standards for a diploma.

This is probably a "done deal" with a raising of the standards (math, reading, science, etc.) to recieve a diploma.

As for homeschool of "special" students, especially those with a mental or psychological impairment, I think it is a good idea. This will give them the 1-1 attention that ensures the best possible success. (Assuming the parent is capable!) Especially if they have the network you do there. And utilize the area resources.

As of last month, I became the Cubmaster for our pack. For this last month, I wore 5 hats - Tiger group coach, Webelos Den Leader, Cubmaster, Troop Committee Chair, District Committee Member.

God bless,

Paul Johnson

Paul Johnson

In my small town there is a local troop. Currently running about 6 families, used to be 10 but that's another story. My son, on my advise, joined a much larger troop in a town 20 miles away and we have both been happy about the decision ever since.

The local troop several years ago was run by a family (SM and another office) with home schooled boys. Those boys had scouting as a big portion of their curriculum. I know their acquisition of an obscene number of badges did cause a lot of resentment. It seems inappropriate to use scouting as a school curriculum although I can understand the temptation.

Yarrow said: "It seems inappropriate to use scouting as a school curriculum although I can understand the temptation."

What is inappropriate about incorporating scouting in curriculum? I know many scouters/homeschoolers who have done this. My own family utilizes the many scouting resources in our homeschool. Each child has his/her math text, grammar book, and then we use scouting resources for the rest of our studies. Also, much of material that is taught in traditional schools can be applied to merit badges (in boy Scouts) and other achievements (within cub scouting). An example would be the studies of citizenship and government.

"Does anyone remember Daniel E. Witte? Stunningly ambitious scout, bright, home schooled and extremely successful today. Earned all the merit badges."

I have not heard of Daniel E. Witte...but he certainly sounds like a good role model for any scout. While I don't advocate a scout earning every merit badge, I applaud those who do.