The Campaign Hat/staff

Spun off from "Stop the Insanity". OK, so I got asked to be on the new NYLT (previously JLTC) staff as an ASM. I feel pretty inspired and am looking forward to it. Then I was reminded that I would need to get a Smokey hat - knowing that it cost a friend $75 for hers a few years back, I go to the catalog - $94!!

Tell me again the point to staffers having to wear that hat? I know it looks cool and all, but that's a lot of money to spend for a hat, when I don't wear 'em unless I have to...

Vicki

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fscouter, I guess I don't understand the question. Maybe it's the way our district does things - all staff on JLTC and Woodbadge wear the hat. It's considered part of the uniform.

But I still don't understand the question...

Vicki

Vicki, I beleive FScouter is trying to inject humor in a rather sticky situation. I think the point is only those who have a campaign hat would require others to buy them. There is no national requirement about head gear, but if thats what the course director says and you want to be on staff, then thats the price you have to pay. I find it interesting to say the least that people are often offered training posts, committee positions and the like and then almost immediately slammed with FOS requests, ( now that you are on the Executive Committee, you should support...) Its to the point if you hear, "hey you are doing a good job" hold onto your wallet

It's not that uncommon. I know our Woodbadge staff all had campaign hats. Some of them bought it just for the event. Also, Summer Camp staff had to all wear Venturing uniforms, even though most of them were not in Venturing prior to that.

Ah, if OGE is right, then a belated "tee-hee". As one who generally contributes enough to FOS to support at least me two scouts, I do appreciate the humor.

EagleinKY, as I mentioned, it's standard for our staffs too and I understand your point, but $94 plus $13 for the press, and $6+ for the rain cover seems a bit much. Not to mention having to store the darn thing! Why not do the expedition hat? It's only $34...

Maybe they're thinking once you have the hat, you might as well say yes a second or third time? Amortize the cost? (My own feeble attempt at humor.)

Vicki

Gee, maybe the hat should be part of the course equipment. Did the staff from last year turn in their equipment?

In our council, staff is expected to pay the full course fee too, the same as participants. And the CD does not get reimbursed for expenses if revenue is short and the event doesn't generate the required surplus.

I have not seen the syllabus for this new course, so I really ought not comment on it.

I think I remember hearing that the course would or could also be open to Venturers? If so being that the campaign hat is not part of what might be termed the "Official" ( I know already about what a Venturing uniform can be!!) Uniform, then it would be out of line to ask adults who serve in the Venturing program to wear or buy one.

I have to admit when I was CD for a Wood Badge course, the idea of having the staff look like a Rockwell painting did really appeal to me. But being as we had Cub Scouter's, Boy Scouter's, and Venturing adults on staff I would not be following the insignia guide.

I suppose we could have got away with asking everyone to wear the Red wool jacket, but when I really thought about it, the important thing is that the staff were in correct uniform and that the syllabus was followed.

Add to this I look like a right twit with a campaign hat on -Even more of a twit than I do without the darn thing.

For the course we had ball caps made. It added a little over five bucks to the cost of the course.

Scouting does seem to cost more and more as you do more. The CD conference was not reimbursable and was a fair sized chunk of cash, I think it was $225.00, plus the trip to New Jersey. Gifts for the staff cost over $300.00 and the course fee was $200.00. Add that to the everyday Scouting expenses and it really does add up. Most of the meetings have become dinner meetings and someone is padding the bill. $25.00 for a stuffed chicken breast!!

Board members were expected to donate at the $500.00 level, that expectation is now $1,200. Who ever coined the phrase "Give till it hurts" must have belonged to the Council that I'm in.

Still it's a lot cheaper than hunting!!

Eamonn.

Good guess, Eamonn, I am indeed female, a bear at that! There are enough women amongst the adult staff who own Smokies that I would not presume to exercise my option. But thanks for the tip.

FScouter, I should obviously just count my blessings. At least I don't have to pay the course fee...

Kristi, I have my eye on e-bay - haven't seen $20 yet, though! Thanks to you, too.

Vicki

I am /was a Bear when I took the old Cub Scout course.

Now my Her Who Must Be Obeyed informs me that I am a Bear at different times during the day. I had better watch myself or she will be telling me that She "Can bear no more !!"

(She can't send me back, after more than 20 years I'm non-returnable.)

Eamonn.(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

Eamonn,

One little correction about Venturing leaders and campaign hats.

The adult leaders in the Venturing program may either wear the green shirt/grey pants of the Venturing program or the may wear the tan shirt/green pants of the BSA field uniform with green Venturing shoulder loops. With that uniform the campaign hat would be appropriate.

I could be wrong, but can't all adults registered with BSA wear the BSA field uniform (which also happens to be the Boy Scout/Varsity Scout program's uniform)?

Oh, EagleInKY, if you remember, let us know if the staff at your camp are in Venturing green this summer. It is my understanding that the national camp standards are being changed to prohibit Venturing Crews and Sea Scout Ships from attending BSA resident camp at the same time it is being used by Boy Scout Troops and Varsity Scout Teams. In fact, your council has information posted on-line indicating Venturing units are not being accepted at Camp Crooked Creek this year.

Wow, thanks! Just went to that website and the hats look exactly the same. Any way you would post when you get it to comment on the quality?

Almost didn't start this thread cuz I didn't want to seem to be complaining. But one-third the cost would be too hard to pass up...

Thanks all!

Vicki