Saluting in "Class B" uniform

Here's two saluting questions that I have never been certain about ---

1. Do scouts in the so-called "Class B" uniform (Troop T-shirt) salute or place their hand over heart? I've seen it both ways.

2. Do members of the color guard salute the US flag and say the Pledge with the Troop or do they just stand at attention. I think it is the latter, but again I've seen it both ways.

Thanks!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never considered a t-shirt a 'uniform'.

Since the pledge is said before the colors are posted, I don't see how someone holding a flag can salute. I believe they are to stand at attention and hold the flag. Non flag bearers in the color guard should salute.

Here is a good description.

http://www.tidewaterbsa.com/forms/flagceremony.pdf

The U.S. Flag Code makes reference to the 'uniform' only salute. It does not appear to define uniform, although I suspect our government has done so somewhere. I will keep checking.

http://www.usflag.org/us.code36.html#171

"172. Pledge of allegiance to the flag; manner of delivery

The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, 'I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.', should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute. '

(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

Great link from Tidewater Council, thanks! It does not explicitly say that the honor guard salutes, but it has an illustration showing this.

I've always thought that they were to stand at attention but not salute (ready to catch the flag if it falls, I guess). but I was wong.

Remember, according to the Boy Scouts of America, there is no "Class B" uniform.

Your Field Uniform consists of Tan BSA shirt, BSA shorts or trousers, green with red tops socks, a webbed or leather belt, and a hat as well as a neckerchief are optional. The necerchief being up to the troop.

A T-shirt does not make a uniform - but the activity uniform is considered a uniform. The activity uniform is identical to the field uniform - socks, belt, hat, pants, etc. except for one small difference - the shirt. A troop T-shirt or other appropriate dress may be worn with the activity uniform. For many outdoor Scouting activities - the field uniform shirt is not appropriate/practical attire.

Therefore, it is very appropriate to salute while wearing one's activity uniform.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Color Guard and saluting the flags.

I did some of research on this a few years back. I came to the conclusion that there is no right or wrong way for scouts to do this. But most ceremonies I came up with is that after posting the colors, the color guard stands at attention not saluting until the pledge is done, when the pledge is done, the color guard takes one brisk step back and smartly salutes the flag, and then retreats.

One reason I asked is that our troop has a long history of making the Class B our regular uniform for troop meetings during the hot summer months when the boys are outside and active and get sweaty and grimy (ugh). (Of course for any BoR, CoH, SM conference or other special event we require full Class A. )

At the start of every meeting, summer or winter, we say the Pledge of Allegiance and salute. I can see the other side of the issue, but I think we'll keep saluting.

Class A and B are not official BSA terms. As our esteemed BobWhite might say, these terms do not appear in any BSA publication. He'd be right of course.

However, the rank and file has found them to be useful shorthand. A so-called "Class B" uniform is an "activity" uniform (as opposed to a "field" or "dress" uniform) and is characterized by a unit designated T-shirt or similar shirt. The so-called "Class A" includes the official BSA shirt with all emblems, awards, and badges of rank. Occasionally the term "Class C" is used to refer to a scout-related T-shirt other than the unit designated one, although this usage is less widespread.

(Note: I have not attempted to list all component elements to a uniform such as socks, etc.; rather, I have pointed attention to the key distinguishing element - the shirt)

For those who writhe at the mere mention of "Class A" and "Class B", I ask: who among us doesn't use slang? They are useful terms.

I guess you can put me down as one who will writhe a tad and twitch a bit at the terms "Class A" and "Class B" and while I may use slang, I wonder how we assure ourselves all who read our purported wisdom realize that indeed "Class A and B" is only slang and not official?

Our unit also uses "A+"... That's your Class A with your troop T-shirt under your uniform shirt. they requir it for most service hours - uniform shirt is for show, T-shirt for the dirty work.

OGE - "I wonder how we assure ourselves all who read our purported wisdom realize that indeed "Class A and B" is only slang and not official? "

Does it matter as long as they know how to dress for the event?