what is in a color for shoulder loops

Hello Scouters,

Thought I knew all the colors in the shoulder loops, blue, red, gray, and yellow. The other day I had seen a man with purple epilets. Had to look twice, thinking maybe the were faded blue. They were definately purple. Does anyone here know the meaning of purple loops?

Thanks,

alex

Purce:

Can you give us a source on the purple shoulder loops. My problem is this: The Boy Scouts of America has an international division and there are some international volunteers, but they are members of the Boy Scouts of America.

I've never seen nor heard of purple shoulder loops before and I'm curious.

Unc.

Odd, that if these were national approved shoulder loops that they are not listed in the international divisions website under how to wear international scouting insignia. There is no mention of them in the uniform guide either.

Sounds like someones local idea.

That was my thoughts as well. Maybe he has his own idea or is making some kind of statement. I have looked all over the web sites and could not find any thing about purple epaulets, although, there was purple backgrounds in some of the international websites. If I see him again, I'll ask him then I'll post the response on here.

Several years ago, Bill and I were accidentally put in charge of a Scout JLT for our district. To designate different patrols, we made shoulder loops of many colors, none were official. Our intent was not to be rogues but to do something that didn't need to be sewn on but just slipped on temporarily for the training.

Did you get the guy's name wearing the purple loops? Was it Bill? If so, he may have forgotten.

FB

Like the way you put that, "accidentally put in charge". You know how we scouters are, we raise our hand to scratch the top part of our head and we volunteered for something :-).

Nope, the guy's name wasn't Bill. Bill wasn't there this time.

alex

While serving on Summer Camp staff last year I saw a unit where the adult leaders were wearing red-white-and-blue loops. Definitely a unit thing. I also got really peaved years ago when a lot of people in my previous council had a round OA embroidered sticker in the center of their loops saying,"Our advisor said we could."

At the 2001 National Jamboree the Scuba Staff had red loops with a white triangle to mimic the dive flag, I could see wearing black loops to a funeral, We have a district committee member who wears blue (cubs) red (boy scouts) and green (Ventures) because he holds a positon in each and says this way he is always in uniform. I struggle with having a sense of humor, such as when I see scouters sporting the "untrainable" patch and the absurd, such as the 25 year old with an Eagle rank patch challenging you to take it off him. I mean ,if they are wearing the shirt and pants, thats a start, but at what point is it too much ?