Is it time for BSA National to revamp the uniform..

The current uniform has been on the shelf now for over a decade. And it's a uniform I really do not care for. IMHO...it's not a uniform that say's outdoors.

Would be nice to have a uniform that demands to be in the wilderness....I would suggest that the next designer be say someone like Royal Robins, or at least someone in his class. Not a 5th Ave fashion designer, hey....

Royal is the one responsible for starting the Yosemite school of climbing way,way back when climbers were considered by the general public to be somewhat insane. He's is also responsible for starting the current climbing trend in this country.

After retiring from mountaineering, he went into kayaking; and after that, he started his own line of outdoor clothing (since sold)

BTW..I'm one of his many students from that era...nice to be trained by the best:)

I really don't have any strong feelings about the uniform that we now have one way or the other. Kinda like the engraving on a dollar bill!! I never really take time to look at the dollar bill, I just know that it is a dollar bill and use it.

As an organization our expectations of the uniform are really unrealistic. Some want a super smart "Dress" Uniform, while others would like to see a "Activity" uniform. What we have at present seems to meet the needs of most troops and the level of activity that they are participating in. When the activity level becomes more advanced or more specialized, the unit members tend to buy the specialized equipment and clothing that they need.

The moan and groan I hear most often, is not about the uniform but about the cost of the uniform.I don't know much about the price of clothes,but I think $66+ for a shirt and a pair of shorts does seem high, and rarely if ever do I see them on sale.

I think we need to look at what we are "In the business of", which to my way of thinking is covered in the Vision and Mission statements. We are not very good at retailing or manufacturing, so why can't we find a company like L.L Bean, that is good at manufacturing and selling clothes and let them become the BSA uniform supplier? I don't know if this would result in any savings? Or if this is even possible? It might mean that National would have to increase the fees.

I don't think that we will ever be able to compete with the Wal-Marts or K-marts,but our uniform prices are getting a bit too high.

Eamonn.

I am a big fan of the "uniform price is too high" party. I am trying to outfit financially challenged volunteers for my pack. It may seem to some that parents should be able to pay their own way but it is hard here in rural East Tennessee.

Kristi

(Anyone have a tan 2xl to donate? ;)

Today's youth respond to clothing labels and types of clothing. Ask, look, listen to check this out. The uniform doesn't fit what we do or what we think we ought to be doing. The uniform is not functional for outdoor events and is easily destroyed when used that way. For the price, we could get useable, durable outdoor clothing rather than the dress-up clothing that makes it look like we are going to a church meeting. It is past time for this change but I doubt anyone is listening or open to such a suggestion.

When people decide to go backpacking or want to participate in outdoor events, the BSA uniform would never be considered by any stretch of the imagination by anyone for any rational reason. That should be the message but it must be written in a foreign language.

FB(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

Destiny's child already did that, and stirred up quite the fuss. The BSA formally notified their management of this. Of course, their method of wearing the uniform, coupled with their popularity and the fact that it was on national cable TV added to the mess.

http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/celebs.htm

Now, this singer is wearing a true vintage uniform, even with the old rectangle rank patches. I'm not sure when they switched from those (it was before my time). I couldn't make out the name of the council, but it did say "Washington", which is where she's from. Maybe it belonged to her dad.