Patch page: would anyone care to check accuracy please?

I just uploaded a page to help our families answer Cub Scout patch questions. If anyone has a spare moment (and I sure don't expect that this weekend!!), I'd appreciate any inaccuracies being pointed out please. Thanks a bunch!

The link is:

http://www.ampwares.com/scouts/patchpage.html

Merry Christmas everyone!!! I had to take a break from housecleaning, shopping, etc., and this is how I did it :)(This message has been edited by Laurie)

It does not deal with council round patches with segments around them. It seems to only be dealing with the particular patches given out in that council, so you need to generalize it or make it fit your council. Also you need to talk about other patches that have different placement, i.e. quality unit.

A Scouter friend pointed out to me that my definition of temporary was incorrect, so that is now corrected.

To my knowledge, there are no council patches with segments in this council. If so, I've not seen them.

Quality Unit--thank you! The boys are not wearing it; it may be that they don't know how.

My goal was in helping this unit (a Cub pack) with proper placement of patches. I know many don't bother with them because they don't know what to do with them.

Thanks!

Great web site! It might be easier if you group all "event patches" in one category. Keeping these up to date will be a constant challenge as new patches are earned. You could just say "patches earned for participation in events are considered 'Temporary Patches' and are worn centered on the right pocket. Only one patch may be worn on the uniform at a time, but the choice of patch worn is up to the wearer. Those patches not worn on the uniform may be worn on a patch vest or blanket."

I would also add a link to the BSA Uniform Inspection sheets, which show proper placement of uniform insignia. These can be found in .pdf format at http://www.scouting.org/forms/

Thank you, scoutldr! Great idea about the grouping of the event patches and the wording. Being concise is not my strong point :)

So, event patches (fundraisers, camping trips, pilgrimage, & the like) would be one category. GTFA is something that many of our families still don't quite "get", so that would be separate. Then there's the Recruiter patch and strip. The link to the inspection sheet would take care of Quality Unit and other insignia. Would that be easier to follow, do you think?

Thanks again!

Laurie,

Superb start.

I'd emphasize three elements of patches:

1) THE BASICS. Heaven help me, I've seen youth who wear the Council shoulder patch BELOW the numerals. I've seen numerals be vertical. These are from people who have the various Cub Scout handbooks!

The basics need coverage every bit as much as the various temporary patches.

2) USING A BRAG VEST. Maybe this is local to my neck of the woods, but most patches end up on the brag vest instead of the shirt pocket. Biggest reason is there are sooooo many patches out there.

3) PROGRESS TOWARDS RANK: The plastic blivet obliterates most of any temp patch on the r/h pocket. Another good reason for the brag vest.

KISMIF!!!!

Thank you for the wishes of Christmas. May the Naming of the Christ (sometimes called New Year's) be just as joyous.

John