Patch problem

I have a question for you all.

I am now listed as the ACM for our pack but my DE has me as CM of a newly formed pack at the Boys and Girls Club. I really don't want to buy another shirt. Which patch should I put on my sleeve? I will be CM of my son's pack after Feburary. Should I just go with the CM patch?

Kristi

I am a little confused - are you operating as a CM of the B&G club now? Are you going to be the CM of two packs? If so, are you crazy?

Out of respect for the CM of your current pack, I would not put a CM patch on until you assume those duties. If you think the ACM patch may throw people off at the B&G club pack, then you can explain it to them or maybe just consider not wearing a leader patch for the next two months. Of course, there is always the velcro solution.

It is confusing. I am the ACM of one pack getting ready to become it's CM, I am now CM of another pack (until we get it up and running and recruit some adults). My shirt sleeve says "Den Leader". I was hoping for a simple solution to the problem. Does Velcro work well?

Just for a laugh, my "assistant" is now registered as a den leader in my original pack but is the ACM of the new pack (B and G club). We could both do velcro and just swap patches around :)

Kristi

So, it sounds like the B&G Club pack is not off the ground yet and you are just in a recruiting stage now.

Your shirt says Den Leader now, so is it safe to assume you will continue as a Den Leader after you become CM? When I was a CM and DL, I just wore the CM patch, although if you want to do the velcro thing (there is another recent thread on velcro) you could switch the two for your Pack and Den duties - although you haven't done that in the past with an ACM patch.

Personally, I would just leave the uniform alone until February and then sew on the CM patch.

Not to hijack the thread...I think the best solution is Velcro, but you also have to switch unit numbers, not just the position patch. However....sounds to me like some DE is desperate to make Quality District by chartering new "units" on paper before the end of the year. Let's just put names in the slots then worry about recruiting real leaders next year. How common is this and is it ethical? You need a minimum number of scouts and leaders to charter a unit...seems to me that borrowing leaders from other units just so the computer will accept the paperwork is not really in the spirit of Scouting. Or maybe I'm inferring too much here.

Guess I've got to be a little contrarian here.

Velcro will work, but IMHO, it's not worth the trouble.

Here are my thoughts . . .

The Cub Scouts aren't going to look at, remember, read, or recognize the position patch on your sleeve. They will know who's in charge (at the Boy's and Girl's Club) because you'll tell them. And because you'll be in charge.

In your current pack, the boy's don't really care what wording the blue patch on your sleeve says you are, they care about what you're doing.

The parents in the pack don't (mostly) know how to read your uniform, so they really dont' care what patch, if any is there.

I know you're concerned about uniforms, Cajun, but I also have a feeling from reading many of your posts that if you had the money to buy a second uniform, it would be for a boy . . . and not yourself. I love that.

My recommendation is to pay 2 bucks for some velcro from the local fabric store and switch unit numbers when needed.

The more obscure option is found in small print in the insignia guide . . . wear the uniform of your paid, registered position in Scouting. Assuming the B&G Cubmaster is a multiple registration (you only pay for BSA registration, not for each position) you don't really need to worry about switching position patches between units.

Unit numbers may be a different story, but only because the boys may care about that. Probably not, but it's possible.

Unc.

Buy one patch for the position you want to work for one year. One position per person is enough because you can only do the job duties of that one position well. (Note: Read your job duties first and hopefully you will agree. The duties are in the Cub Leader Training Manual.)

If you really want to be helpful to your D.E., then volunteer to help recruit for the other position. Recruiting is difficult and is a job that most leaders regretfully disregard. Use the 'Selecting Leaders' method in your Cub Training manual. Follow it closely. Have your D.E. go with you when you recruit.

Velcro is an easy solution for a bigger problem. If you follow that path, it may lead you to a sticky destination.

Good Luck with your decision,

FB