Time to talk of beads, knots and other things...

I wear knots, service stars, and WB beads any time I've got the uniform on. I'll put the WB neckerchief and woggle on for COHs, beading ceremonies, and other formal stuff. I've given up on temporary patches, though. Too much hassle. I just sewed on the International Activity Patch and I leave it at that. I've got the OA pocket flap proudly displayed, and the most current QU patch, and trained strip too. If I earned it, I wear it. I'm nowhere near the point where I need to be concerned about "too much fruit salad". If I ever get above two rows, I'll start thinking about it.

When I meet another Scouter for the first time, his "layout" tells me something about him; where he's been, what he's done. When I see him operate, it tells me much more about him, and the latter goes further toward forming my opinion than the former.

KS

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your beef is with the BSA who has seen fit to recognize leadership with knots to be placed on uniforms, not the people who wear them.

There are those that disdain knots and other patches. Almost like a holier-than-thou attitude that says "I'm so holy I don't need no silly patch to prove it". Of course I'm not referring to any member(s) of this discussion group, just scouters in general.

The vocal objections to patches remind me of a couple of boys, and parents I've encountered. The boy doesn't sew on his new rank patch, or quality unit patch, or event patch. He dismisses the patches as being "not important". He makes fun of other boys that have patches sewed onto uniform, sweatshirt, or whatever. Push the issue and you discover that he doesn't have a clue about using needle and thread, and his mom hates to sew anything and won't do it. So the boy decides he doesn't like patches.

• 1 month later...

Time to talk beads, knots and other things! For many years I would only wear my HONOR MEDAL knot because most youth and adult members of the BSA have no clue to what it means! If some of you out there are offended by that, then so be it. If you ever get the chance and hopefully that chance never comes, you'll appreciate that Knot and Award a little more. So on with my story. I decided recently after ignoring the other 20 knot awards I've earned as both a youth and adult, that I was going to wear them all to encourage the youth and adults in scouting to be proud of who they are and what they do for this world of ours. If wearing my woodbadge beads or 21 square knots offends then so be it. I'm not ashamed of what I've done for the last 48 years and I don't need to boast about it. But I'm not going to hide in a corner so to speak so that others complain about what some have done in scouting and have failed to do themselves. Scouting is a youth program and the youth of scouting deserve to have examples set for them to go by. Set the example of not wearing your awards at all or not wearing them properly and they will do so likewise. If that makes your day then do it and don't complain when it happens. If the BSA ever does away with the uniform then there will be no more issue regarding beads, knots and other things! Until that time comes, lets get on with the program. Yours In Scouting from a Scouter who is proud of this movement and all of the aspects of it.

Amen to that. As far as I'm concerned, we should all wear what we're entitled to. For one thing, if I meet you for the first time and you're wearing your knots, I know at a glance which portions of the program you've worked with, if you're an Eagle Scout, and so on. In other words, it's an instant visual resume' -- if you're wearing the Webelos DL and/or Cubmaster awards, I know I don't have to teach you a ding-dong school on AOL and it's relevance to crossover...saves me some time. Second, a knot symbolizes a lot of hours of unpaid service; wear it with pride because you've earned it. Same for beads, OA flaps, etc. All of them can also generate curiosity among the lads, and you have their attention even if only momentarily.

There's countless thousands of us trench-level volunteers, most with very similar-sounding jobs. Our uniforms introduce us as much as a handshake and a greeting does. I know, if you look at the Scout Executive's picture in the front of the handbook, he's wearing just shoulder loops and a position patch. But you know what? That's all he needs to wear -- he's the national Scout Executive, for pete's sake! Anywhere he goes, he's got his posse doing the advance work, opening doors, and making sure everybody knows who he is -- his position does that for him. My shirt does my advance work, and opens the doors -- maybe only a crack, then hard work and common sense have to push it the rest of the way.

I also wear a patch vest on outings -- wonderful conversation starter. I can't tell you how many times I've felt that little "hairs standing up on the back of my neck" thing, to turn around, and there's a little guy reading the patches on the back of the vest. "That's right, little buddy, that's our Troop's Polar Bear award. Lemme tell you how cold it got at that Klondike Derby; why, we put out a cup with water in it the night before, and in the morning...".

How many of us who've earned our beads HAVEN'T had a boy ask what they were, so that we could explain B-P and the Siege of Mafeking?

C'mon, sew that stuff on and let the stories begin!

KS

I have a bunch of knots, beads, patches, etc. Sewing them on became a hassle and I quit doing it. I was out of Scouting for a while and I noticed that after I returned that I could only wear two shirts and both were bare. Also, I lost a couple of knots in the move that I had not sewen on my shirt. I tried several pairs of my pants and found that I could wear my shorts. The other day I wore those shorts. It was winter and all I could think of was all of the long pants that were too tight hanging my the closet. I got mad at myself for gaining weight. I am now changing my diet and beginning to change my activity schedule. After I reclaim my pants, I might consider looking for the lost knots, tearing some off of the older shirts and sewing on a few. I am also hoping that someone will listen to me when I can finally wear pants again. FB(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

Guess what folks? I just found out that I shortly will receive two more awards, that will make square knots numbers 22 and 23. And you know what? I'm going to sew them on my uniform also! My uniform looks like some kind of knot display tac board! Or is that tacky board. Either way, I earned them all and I'm proud of it. Lot's of hard work for this has been. Actually I really couldn't care less about those knots, but I sure do care about all the time and in one case almost my life in earning them! Your's In Scouting!

• 1 month later...

NOT wearing knots is a lot of fun. Like many of you, I have a knot filled unifrom that mostly stays in the closet and the plain one I wear most of the time.

I really enjoy being underestimated. You either have "it" or you don't. The vast majority of Scouters I meet recognize "it" without visual clues. I find that period between first meeting and discovery to be highly enjoyable.

Another thought, and please pardon the analogy if it offends...

If a man ever wonders what a woman must feel like after being "scanned" when meeting a man, consider the parallel to a knot display. I prefer being looked in the eye when meeting someone new.

• 1 month later...

I used to talk with my dad at some length about this. I have earnd my Woodbadge beads and I proudly wear them in an effort to get others in my Troop trained. I wear my Eagle, Arrow of Light and my Adult Leader Training knots and leave it at that.

I would ask my dad ... you've done it all, there are really no other awards for you to earn, why the plain uniform? He just never said it appealled to him to put everything on the uniform.

He is still on the National Finance Committee. He doesn't wear his uniform much anymore. When he does, he only has the purple World Crest emblem and a Council Patch.

He only wears his 4 Woodbadge beads ..... I think those meant the most to him.

Here's the stuff he doesn't mention ... (I will because I am kind of proud of him. He's been doing this since the 60's)

Life Scout

Vigil Member of the Order of the Arrow

Scoutmaster

Member, National Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America

National Cub Scout Chairman

International Commissioner

Vice Chairman of the World Scout Committee

Woodbadge Course Director and Co-Author of the Previous Woodbadge Course

Recipient of the Silver Beaver, Silver Antelope, and the Silver Buffalo, Scoutings highest commendation

Recipient of the Bronze Wolf, the only award made by the World Scout Committee

Knots and Beads...

Good topic...

I encourage our Scouts to wear everything that they are awarded.

A temp patch is not an award, so I don't really push those, besides in our Council we all wear district patches on the Temp pocket.

I currently have three knots, and I wear them all. Fourth knot is forthcoming.

What I have found is 1. It helps provide an example. I wear my uniform properly. Nothing out of place, the full uniform, and in good repair. I wear it the same way every time in every situation. The boys will never see my shirt untucked or badges out of place.

2. The knots and service stars do lend credibility to the leader. I have found this over the past year as a newer Scoutmaster. It also helps with recruiting new Scouts. When I sit in the living room of a prospective Scout and his mom and dad, they can see that I am trained and that I have been around the block a couple of times. Hopefully it sets their mind at ease about what they are getting into.

3. To the other leaders in my Troop and the Pack that I serve, it encourages them to get trained.

Someone earlier stated that while this is the boys program, it is ours too. I don't know about you all, but I have a lot of fun doing this Scouting stuff.

The BSA has these knots to recognize the work, dedication, and committment of the leaders of Scouting. Therefore there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Oh... and next year when I finish my ticket and get my Wood badge beads... I will wear them everytime my uniform is on. My Dad earned his beads, my father in law wears his... and I will be just as proud as those two to wear mine.

Also, someone made mention of the military awards and the "option" of wearing them in the military. You are wrong. You are required to wear awards that have been awarded. There are no options. Barracks lawyers will suggest you have the right to wear what you want, but the regs say other wise...another topic for another day and another forum, just thought I'd share.

BP wore all his stuff... I'll wear mine.

Jerry

Great posts. As a Committee Chair for a troop, I wear these six:

AOL, Eagle, Adult Religious Award

AoM, Silver Beaver, SM of Merit

As the District Chair I wear all 12.

Both times I wear my 3 beads, my OA sash, and a PTC patch as my temp patch.

The fancier uniform has everything to do with "I understand," while the simpler one allows me to take a back seat to my friend, the SM.

I've noticed that we have a tri-fold flyer we had to visiting parents. It lists the SM as a contact, and lists most of his awards, even though he doesn't wear them all. My name is the other contact, and yes my awards are listed too. It works for us.

I only have two knots currently (AOL and Eagle) and I am working on my beads. I wear absolutely everything I have earned on my uniform. I do it for the boys.

When we joined our current pack, my boys and I were the only ones to show up to den meetings in uniform. Not even the leaders were in uniform. I also found out that only half of the leaders were trained. At my very first meeting, I had kids and adults alike turn to me when they had a question about the program, not to the Den leader or the Cubmaster.

I use my uniform in a presentation on the importance of wearing the uniform. I tell the boys that they should be PROUD to wear thier uniform and all of thier patches because everything on the uniform tells a story. I then proceed to point out each thing on my uniform and tell a little bit about what it means and how/when I earned it. At this point, I even get parents who want to know more about the various things I wear.

Heck- the uniform is just one of many tools at our disposal. Why not work it too?

I generally keep one shirt 'naked'- bare minimum display with the exception of my Eagle. Not even the Quality Unit award (which I dislike anyway- resewing that dang thing every year drives me batty!) This is my normal working shirt. In my mind, this helps take the focus off me a bit and put it on the Scouts, program, and other leaders.

My 'full' shirt has most of the bells and whistles- but even then not all of them- only 3 rows of knots, for example. I wear this shirt for recruitment, training, ceremonies,... and whenever I am around big groups of other Scouters and feel a need to 'establish' myself quickly.

When I have a wearable third shirt, it is a compromise- a few knots, a few more patches, but not most of the pin-on stuff (except a nice name tag- I always wear a name tag, and with my memory, I wish everyone else did as well!)

When I'm in a situation that has it's own recognition system (Roundtable beads or OA devices, for example) I am sure to wear that as well to show my support for and participation in the program.

• 2 months later...

First - Knots. What puts me into a low simmer for a short time is cub scout leaders with their two rows of tiger and cub scout leader knots. I wear my ribbons and WB beads with pride, but when the parent of a boy just entering the troop after bridging shows up with all those ribbons, yes, I see a dedicated scouter - in need of a lot more training. Guess who doesn't want to go to any boy scout-level training? Bingo. And guess who wants to know what those beads around my neck are for? Bingo.

Speaking of Beads and Such. Put "cimarron art gallery" in your search engine and you are going to find All Sorts of Critters, every stripe or feather, in all sorts of stuff. I got my favorite critter from the cute little critters on necklaces found on page 5. Now the little guy hangs around just south of the overhand knot securing the beads on the leather thong. Yes, I know it's not part of the uniform. If you cannot be full regs, at least be cute.