Appropriateness of Scouter wearing patches earned as a Youth.

Now I know that the insignia guide is very clear on Adult wear of some patches/badges/insignia earned as a youth. For example, Scouters may wear the appropriate square knot patch for Eagle rank, Arrow of Light, and religious awards earned as a youth. Of course, Scouters do not wear youth rank awards, but what about other accomplishments from their youth Scouting days?

Specifically, is it appropriate to wear patches from Philmont, or other High Adventure base which you "earned" as a youth, but have not (yet) experienced as an adult Scouter? For example, having been to Philmont as a Boy Scout, but not as a Scout leader, is it appropriate now to wear the Philmont bull on official jackets (especially the Jac-shirt) as described in the insignia guide ("for Scouts and Scouters")? What about the Philmont Arrowhead patch or the round Philmont bull patch? I remember buying the Bull patches in the souvenir shop, but the Arrowhead patch was presented in a special campfire ceremony at the end of the trail. We also did a conservation project to earn the 50-miler Award, but I know that is for equipment display only.

If I wanted to wear a BSA patch vest or similar garment (not official uniform of course for Blue and Gold, Court of Honor, other ceremonies, etc.) for meetings, roundtable, activities, etc. would it be appropriate to wear my old Council Camporee, Scout Reservation Reforestation projects, Council hiking trail, Summer Camp, Junior Leader Training Camp, etc. patches? Or would that be looked on with disdain and thought of as inappropriate by other Leaders? Should I only wear patches for activities I have been to as an adult Scouter?

I am proud of many of these accomplishments and do not think of it as bragging, but as a way to connect with the boys. Incidentally, my two Cub Scout sons thought my old Boy Scout patch vest was very "cool", especially with all my old Boy Scout rank patches and position patches (Patrol Leader, Instructor, Asst. Sr. Patrol Leader) as well as the ones named above.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At some of our special events like Camporee or Scout Fair adult show off collections of antique BSA equipment, uniforms and patches. And they may even dress themselves in vintage uniforms, not necessarily representing their current adult positions, but their Scouting days as a youth. Almost everyone agrees that this is a special way to show Scout Spirit and enjoy the heritage of BSA.

I can think of another example in my troop, which I helped found 6 years... we had all new boys age 11. At the troop's first Court of Honor the SM encouraged all the ASMs who were Eagles to wear their Eagle Medal for that occasion, to motivate the boys, many of whom had never seen one. It really served a purpose and I would still not have any problem with anyone doing that at COH, but not at a regular troop meeting.

Personal taste dictates some. One can buy the Philmont Bull and wear it on ones red jacket and not have ever been to Philmont! Some are earned (i.e. Philmont Arrowhead Patch) and may not just be bought outright.

Now, I must admit that I am not a into patch trading. If I have not experienced an "event" why would I want the patch that commemorates that event? Also, if you experience something as a youth, such as a Philmont Trek, and you would like to wear it on your Scouter shirt (as a temporary patch worn correctly) I say go for it!

Now that Jamboree patch. I think there is a time limit for when to wear/not wear it. I'm sure someone will inform us on that one.

I'm proud of some of the accomplishments of my youth. I have three Philmont Arrowheads, and still wear one today, even though it's been over 20 years. One of these was earned while I was a (very young) adult. But, even if it wasn't, I would not have a problem with an adult wearing a Philmont patch, Jamboree, or any other patch earned when he was a youth. Kids will ask "hey, what's that", and you can tell them some great stories from your scouting experience. Hopefully, it inspires them to want to experience the same.

I personally don't wear any of my patches from youth other than the square knots. I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing so as long as it is done correctly, like the Philmont bull on the red jacket and the Philmont Arrowhead with the uniform and the red vest with whatever. It might be good advertisement, so advertise.

I prefer the guided discovery. There are so many unique and wonderful things in Scouting. I love being a part of growth experiences, so that when "it" is discovered, it is as if it were for the first time.

FB

I believe the time limit is on Jamboree council strips and unit numbers, not the event patches themselves.

I wear both my Philmont Arrowhead and a 1973 Jamboree patch. The jambo patch is sewn on above the right pocket, and I wear the arrowhead as a temporary patch.

I know of no official restriction on wearing any official patch, as long as it is worn properly -- which usually means as a temporary patch. I get questions from lots of boys asking the significance of the various patches and it gives me an opportunity to sell that part of the program.

Twocubdad wrote:

"I know of no official restriction on wearing any official patch, as long as it is worn properly -- which usually means as a temporary patch."

Does that mean only to wear it on the right pocket, or that it must be suspended from the right pocket button, either by its own tab or in a holder, without being sewn on the pocket. Can a temporary patch be sewn on, if you wish to wear only that patch, and not change patches frequently?

What about getting duplicate arrowhead patches to sew on extra shirts or on the jac-shirt? Tooth-of-Time Traders, which sells Philmont patches, does NOT sell the Arrowhead patch.

When I see the Philmont Bull on a jacket I think the wearer has been to Philmont. I don't think about when he or she went there.

The Patch for each jamboree is different, the guys who attended wear it above the pocket the guys who visited can wear it on the pocket. Again when I see it I just think that they attended a jamboree. Depending on where you live the trip to a jamboree or to Philmont could be a once in a life time experience. So I see no harm in wearing them.

While I don't have a problem with adult Eagle Scouts wearing their medals at Eagle Scout BOR's I kinda think this is not kosher. But I'm almost sure that it's not a hanging offense.

Eamonn

Eagle Scout medals can be worn as adults (in either uniform or civilian dress) at appropriate events, such as an Eagle COH. Back in my day, they even gave us a red, white and blue ribbon where you could wear the medal around your neck, if you prefer (I never have).

What would constitute an appropriate event?

Everyone seems to agree that an Eagle COH is. What about other formal awards ceremonies? Blue and Gold? District Awards Banquet? Silver Beaver Presentation?

Personally, I think that it would be appropriate to wear at formal events.

I see folks who pile on the beads and other assorted things for a round table. That is not a place to wear the Eagle (or the beads and such in my mind, but thats another thread).

I believe it should be left up to the individual. If they feel an event is appropriate, then that is fine. I would probably not wear it to any of these you mentioned (except maybe the Silver Beaver presentation). I did wear it once to a Scout Sunday, which was followed by a COH. I remember debating that one in my head.

I agree with you about Roundtable, it is not a formal ceremony, so it should not be worn for that.

I don't have my insignia guide handy, but I don't believe there is any difference between a temporary patch sewn on and one hanging from the button. The only restriction is that you can't wear both, except that is is permisible to wear both a temporary patch sewn on with a Progress Toward Rank totem hanging over it. I've seen boys -- especially Cubs with every patch they own hanging from their button. I figure if they are proud enought of their participation to wear all the patches, I won't be the one to call them on it.

I don't know if there is any procedure for replacing Philmont arrowheads, but I do know they are restricted to one per trek. Have you tried looking on eBay? (Whoever asked about God and Country medals may try there too.) I bought one there several years ago for about $30. Because they are restricted, they ain't cheap. I wear the one I bought and have the the original one I earned hanging in a shadow box in my office.

One thing to remember that many forget, strictly one should not wear the medal and the knot together. Most knots (Eagle, AOL, Training, etc.) represent the medal so that wearing both would be redundant. Now, I realize that one probably does not want to remove is red, white and blue square knot if he puts on the medal so many, like I instruct my sons, wear a medal directly over the knot.

One of these days, I'm going to go to roundtable wearing the red, white and blue medals I won at the Cub Scout pinewood derby!!

All I can say that there is nothing more ridiculous than seeing an adult scouter wearing so many knots, etc on their uniform that they look like a military general. Too many scouters are in this program for their own self gratification and "look what I did attitude" than helping the youth advance themselves. I do not wear any of the many awards and knots on my uniform that I am entitled, except my Woodbadge beads, because it is my job to see the youth succeed and earn awards.

There are some scouters who need to grow up and realize that the BSA is a youth program not a program for adult advancement awards. There are great training programs in the BSA to take advantage of, but not to see how many patches we can earn. I don't know how many times I have heard some old time scouter say ,"I think I will attend that event to get another knot for my uniform." It is time for those scouters to come back to reality and do the job they signed up to do, help the youth. Just my two cents worth.