Official Names of Uniform Types

Easy: there's the "uniform" and there's "everything else".

This crap about "Class A" and "Class B" is a carryover from the military -- you'll find no mention of "Class A" or "Class B" in the Insignia Guide. There is no mention of "Class A" or "Class B" in chapter 12 of the Cub Scout Leader Guide ("Uniforms and Insignia").

A Scout is either in uniform or he isn't. Why muddy the waters?

Fred while you are right about the Cub Scout Leader book.

There are different uniforms.

We have the Field Uniform. Which most of us wear. There is the dress uniform that some professionals wear.(Blue Blazer, gray slacks and red/silver/ blue tie) The blazer can have BSA buttons and badge on the pocket) Some volunteers also wear this.

What people call the Class B uniform, is the activity uniform, the same as the Field Uniform but the shirt is replaced by a Scouting type T-shirt.

Eamonn.

Eamonn, I understand what you're saying, but I thought the question asked for an "official" reference to such nomenclature.

As far as I can tell, there are no official sources that refer to "field" and "activity" uniforms. All the documentation refers to the "uniform", period.

Of course, I don't claim to have seen or read everything, either.

I found this reference in Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leaders Specific Training: Session ThreeThe Uniform :

The parts of the field uniform are:

BSA Long-sleeve or Short-sleeve

BSA trouser (long) or shorts

BSA socks or knee socks

BSA twill or mesh cap or campaign hat (troop option)

BSA web belt and buckle

BSA troop neckerchief (troop option)

The parts of the activity uniform are these:

BSA t-shirt or activity shirt (designed by the troop or Scout camp shirt)

BSA shorts

BSA socks or knee socks

BSA belt and buckle

BSA cap, expedition hat, or campaign hat

p. 150

My copy of The Boy Scout Handbook, 1998 eleventh edition fourth printing 2002 on those pages describes the activity and field uniform but does not make any reference to class a or b, or that matter to field or activity.(This message has been edited by NWScouter)

I was always under the impression that the so-called "Class A" was the most formal - what scouts wear to a BoR or CoH - and consisted of the full "Field Uniform" plus the merit badge sash and medals, if any.

The "Field Uniform" is as described above and is what they wear in the field and at regular meetings.

And while the "Class B" is not an official term, it is common short-hand for the "Activity Uniform" as desc