Toten' Chip Badge

My son got a Tote'n Chip patch at summer camp and he was told that he could put this under his right pocket on his class "A". Because the only way that he could get this patch was to show his card he was told that this acts like his card when he is wearing his class "A".

I can't find anything about wearing this patch on the class "A". Can anyone give me some information?

I am not sure I am familiar with the Toten' Chip badge/patch. Take a look at this link

http://www.usscouts.org/advance/boyscout/PaulBunyan.html

If this is the patch you have, do not sew it on the uniform, note that it is a pack or blanket patch, it is not to be placed on the uniform. You might also clarify whether or not your son earned the Paul Bunyan or Toten' Chip. If its indeed Toten Chip looks like I may have to expand my idea of certifying Troops to include camps :)

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

I have seen these back when I was a scout. There are two issues here: 1)Can you wear it on the right pocket and 2)Does it allow the wearer to forego carrying the card.

The short answers as I see them are 1) Yes and 2)NO!

On the right pocket You can wear any patch that will fit. Incidentally here is a link to what I believe is hands down the best Uniforming guide available in print or on the web: http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/insignia.htm

Shane

That patch varies by council/region. I have seen different versions in different places.

I have also seen scouts wear it on their right pocket flap and below the flap as a temporary, albeit permanently sewn on. The insignia guide does not provide for its wear, so our troop takes that to mean it shouldn't be worn on the uniform (although there are scouts in our troop that do put it on their right flap because they have seen other scouts do it - we don't make a big deal about that).

As OGE said, the Paul Bunyon and the Totin' Chip patches are not for the uniform, although they may be worn as a temporary patch on the right pocket. The shape of the patch looks somewhat like a pocket flap, but there is no provision made in the Insignia Guide to place it there.

The requirments for the Totin' Chip are exactly the same as the 2nd Class rank. If a boy has earned that rank, he has met all the Totin' Chip requirements, and there is no need to carry a card to prove it, provided his 2nd Class rank patch (or higher) is sewn on his uniform.

Fscouter, can you point me to any pics of the patch you are talking about? The Tote'n Chip patches I remember were round. Just Curious.

Nevermind! I found one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13886&item=3946145108&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

You are right, that does certainly look like a flap patch. But the Uniform guide doesn't allow it to be worn there.(This message has been edited by Sylvar)

I have researched all that I could and have listened to many points of view, but I feel that the best advice I have received is to combine what I have learned. The Tote'n Chip patch can be placed on the right pocket of the class "A" just like any other temporary patch. Since it hasn't got a date on it, it may be removed at the discretion of the wearer or if the council takes objection to it. Sometimes it is just easier to ask for for

Many years ago, the Totin' Chip patch was authorized for wear on the right shirt pocket flap. For some reason though the patch was made "temporary" and can now be worn on the right pocket as a temporary patch or it is my understanding that the local Scout Executive can authorize the patch.

My personal feeling is that the Totin' Chip patch should be allowed for wear by anyone who has earned their Totin' Chip. It would be a visial indication of that, and will remind the wearer to handle woods tools properly.

I think it should be allowed for wear on the LEFT shirt pocket flap. I can't see a reason why not...

There is a great website about Totin' Chip:

http://home.comcast.net/~totinchip/

It has history, and images of the cards and patches. Enjoy.

Yes the Totin' Chip requirements are contained in the 2nd Class rank but I didn't see anyone mention here yet the practice of SM, SPL or Instructor cutting corners off the Totin' Chip card for violations of the safety rules. For example, if a boy does not make a proper safety circle before using his knife, he may get a corner cut off the card. No eye protection when chopping wood he loses a corner, etc. When the last corner is gone the Scout must get the Totin' Chip instruction again (no matter what his rank) and re-qualify for a new card. Some troops even take the card away for one violation of safety if it is serious, like running with a knife open, or having too many boys inside a wood yard perimeter, whether anyone gets hurt or not. Because of this custom of cutting corners off many troop require that the boys carry their cards even if they have a patch sewn on somewhere.

• 3 years later...

Is there any reason the toten' chip badge could not be placed on the left pocket flap? Our council TCB is a flap patch. Our troop has it on the left pocket flap, which leaves the right for the OA patch and is a nice balance. Temporary Patch, Council Special patch? Why dosn't BSA just standardize it and give us a definate answer?

Mr Maxwell,

Welcome to the Forums.

Other than the insignia guide might reserve that pocket, ...

When I was a kid all those patches went on a BSA nylon windbreaker Mom and Dad bought me as a birthday present.

Gotta love the tradition, but I don't think there's anything written about taking corners off of Toten' Chit cards. When I see a boy doing something unsafe relative to the card, the card is tossed into the fire or torn up. I don't see why it's necessary to tempt fate 3 more times before someone takes it seriously. In 20+ years of scouting only one card went into the fire by my hand. The boys know the rules, respect the safety. On the other hand, I have seen PL's tear up cards and other Troop Officers as well. There's nothing wrong with having a boy retake the training when it is evident he didn't learn it well enough to be safe. Taking corners off is just another way of saying safety isn't important enough to know how to do it right first time, the second time the third time, but we will get serious the fourth time. I teach my boys there are no second chances on safety. Card's gone! Scouting may be a game, but safety isn't. And by the way, I hold that standard for all scouts, not just those in my troop. I've taken some heat over the years from SM's who play the 4 Corners Game, but until that scout retakes the course or the SM reissues him one on the sly, I know that scout is spending time thinking about the problem.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

I can't believe the OA isn't in here breathing fire when the right flap is mentioned!

Toten Chip is a temporary patch, therefore it belongs where ALL temporary patches belong, on the right pocket. While it is pocket flap shaped, it is also the same shape as the lower edge of the right pocket, which is precisely where it belongs. ;-)

Here's a question regarding Totin' Chip vs. Whittling Chip:

(BTW, here's a good site on Totin' Chip as well: http://www.usscouts.org/usscouts/advance/boyscout/totinchip.asp)

This actually came up last weekend at my older son's troop campout. If a Boy Scout earned his Whittling Chip as a Cub, but has not yet earned his Totin' Chip as a Boy Scout (because he just crossed over, not because he had it and lost it), would you still let him use his pocket knife?

Obviously, using an axe or saw on his own (not part of instruction towards the Totin' Chip) would be out, but even though Totin' Chip mentions knives also, should having earned the Whittling Chip still be good enough?