When do you wear them?

In your troop when do you require scouts to wear there uniforms? My troop seems to be a bit laxed about our policies. In my troop they are required for BoRs (they will not be allowed to have a BoR if they are not in uniform). We also request that scouts wear their uniform to all meetings, although their are usually a few who don't. At campouts they are not required, unless we will be having interaction with other people (anywhere other than one of the Scout camps). What do you do to enforce your policy?

Scouts (and adults) are expected to wear their Class A's to troop meetings, courts of honor, at BORs (with sash), to service projects (unless it will involve a lot of dirt and mud), and on daytrips. For campouts, they are required to bring their Class A with them to wear if we are going 'out in public'. Class A's are not required 'in camp' unless otherwise specified. Everyone is in Class A's for our Sunday morning services at camp. The 'enforcement' is generally just a private word of encouragement.

Just amoung us peeps, there really isnt a such thing in Boy Scouts as a Class A, I know its a term that gets used a lot, but if we are trying to set the example, then we shouldnt say class A. next, I have to ask, if a scout says he doesnt have a uniform and is not likely to have money for one, then what does you troop do ?

OGE - Our fully stocked closet of experienced 'Class A's' is available to any scout, especially those who cannot afford one. There is no reason that a scout should go uniformless in our troop. For a troop without a uniform exchange, create one. At a minimum there should be some used shirts floating around to outfit a scout with at least a shirt, unless it is a brand new troop. If it is a brand new troop, then it will be a process that will take some time until fully uniformed. In a truly desperate charity case and prior to our emphasis on the uniform exchange, our scoutmaster staff presented a scout with a uniform as a gift on his earning second class.

Ah, the old uniform policy debate. This one has come up many times. But, we have some new folks, so it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

First, I don't like the idea of troops having "policies". I used to use that terminology myself, but I've purged it from my vocabulary. We may have guidelines and parent handbooks, but I avoid the concept of a "policy". I also avoid the "Class A / Class B" terminology. It's "Field" and "Activity".

Simply put, our "policy" reflects scoutings princples. The uniform is one of the eight methods used to deliver the program. You can't do away with any of the methods and have a "BSA program". Therefore, we recognize that there are two uniforms - the field ("class A") and the actvity ("class B"). The field uniform includes pants, shirt, belt, socks, etc. The sash and hat are generally optional, depending upon the activity. The acitivity uniform is comprised of scout shorts/pants, socks and an approved shirt (troop, camp, etc.).

Scouts are expected to be in uniform at all meetings (troop, patrol, PLC). The majority of the time, this is expected to be the field uniform. Sometimes, due to the activities planned, or during the summer months, we'll announce that the activity uniform should be worn. Sometimes, a scout's field uniform is dirty, or they're coming directly from an after-school activity, they may show up in the activity uniform instead of the field uniform. That's fine, as long as it's the exception instead of the rule.

We also wear the uniform when we travel to a campout, on most activities, service projects, etc. Again, this is normally the field uniform.

And, yes, we wear the full uniform. How do we do it? We tell parents before they join that it is expected. We tell them we can help if it's a financial burden. We also tell them they can take their time and get it within a month or so. We've had very few problems with it. When a boy doesn't wear the uniform, I may choose to make a comment to him. If I know his situation (coming straight from soccer, for example), I don't worry about it. If I think he's not wearing it just for the sake of not wearing it, I'll talk to him about it.

I me mine,

I me mine,

I me MINE!!

My Troop?

MY program?

My Rules?

(Whatever happened to belonging to the BSA and serving the needs of the youth members?)

How about letting the PLC decide when to wear what?

Eamonn.

My troops policy was:

Uniforms at all meetings, hikes, day trips, scout Sunday, ect.

Civilian outdoors type clothing (wools, flanels, ect.) for campings trips. Only the hat was required (unless wearing a knit cap-which was required along with boots, mittens, and heavy coats for cold weather camping).

Our scoutmaster required every scout and leader to have a shirt (short or long), and pants (old or new style and we did mix and match). The hat and neckerchef was required but the type was up to the boys to vote on by patrol (we were still wearing overseas caps, ball caps,and berets at the time). The PLC determined what uniform was worn for what occassion (we had troop t shirts too).

It worked. We looked good. And it is how I expect my scout troop to look if I am ever given the honor of being a scoutmaster.

My cub pack is not too different. I require all cubs to be in uniform for all pack meetings, pack outings, and parades. Camping trips, hikes, ice skating, ect. they can wear the t shirt and their scout cap. Leaders have the same guidelines. As cubmaster I am always in field uniform.

My pack? My troop? Sure, why not. UK is "my team", my employer is "my company", etc. Saying "My" doesn't mean you are a dictator, owner or anything else. It just shows that you feel a part of it, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

So Eamonn, love your stories and I agree with a lot of what you say. But, let's say the PLC decides that "hey, we don't want to wear uniforms any more". Is that okay? I certainly give the PLC latitude in making decisions. They are the ones that wanted to do activity uniforms after summer camp. But there are certain core parts of the program that they are not going to touch. Uniform is one of them. The Outdoor program and the other methods are as well.

SemperParatus

You say that like it is a big deal, is that not your role as an adult leader? Why did you not train you SPL to know why the BSA is a uniformed org. That way a younger scout may have brought up the idea, but the SPL should have been able to explain why, we wear uniforms. The way you wrote that it sounds like you slammed your fist on the table and said NO WE WILL WEAR UNIFORMS, and did not explain why.

I am just asking for clarification.

EagleKY

You said

"My" doesn't mean you are a dictator

BUT it seems like a lot of the posters here that do not follow the program do say MY troop, and it seems that they run it and not the youth.

So saying MY could mean you are a dictator. DO you see the position you put yourself in when you say My? is it your PLC? is it your SPL?

Is not my troop it is my sons troop.

Dan,

I say it because it was humorous, not a big deal. The proposal was by the SPL and his assistant both of whom had been in scouts for over 8 years and who have attended troop JLT and council JLT. They know all about the 'uniformingness' of scouts and why we wear one - they were just trying to push the envelope before their term was up. I couldn't slam my fist down on the table since I had fallen off my chair from laughing so hard.

I guess in the future I have to use those little smiley things so that those with little jocularity understand humor.

in OUR troop FIELD uniforms are expected to be worn to all regularly scheduled meetings, ceremonies, and during travel to & from campouts. We do have one meeting a month that is game night where ACTIVITY uniforms are expected to be worn. Other than that, what to wear is decided after a discussion with the SPL & SM.

Ken

Dan - Actually, in casual talk, I usually use the pronoun "our" instead of "my". "Our PLC", "our SPL", "our campout", etc. For some reason, in typing on this board, I usually say "my" instead. Either way, I think it's much ado over nothing. Actions speak louder than words. There are many people that make their own rules and think that their flavor of the BSA is what is right. Personally, I just try to interpret and deliver the program as designed, to the best ability that I can (along with the other leaders) and within the ability limits of the boys.

My policy, or maybe modus operandi, is to set expectations for the youth - including my own (yes MY) boys. The expectations is that when at a Scout function, a Scout uniform is always appropriate. The boys always ask me, the SM, do I have to wear my uniform to a PLC meeting? My pat response is that it is a Scout function and I will be wearing my uniform but that nobody is required to wear anything at all. That confuses some, gives some the feeling that they have the liberty or SM okay to wear anything they want and to the bright ones who "get it" re-enforcement that yes, they should wear their uniform.

Similarly, I tell the parents of these boys that the expectation is that they contribute in a positive manner to the success of the troop. Some, like their sons, get it, some don't.

EagleInKY and Eamonn,

The use of the possessive adjective 'my' is used (subconsciously in most cases) when communicating on this forum because you are communicating with people who are not part of your troop and, hence, who are not inclusive in the possessive 'our'.

In other words, saying 'in our troop, we...' is the most appropriate usage of the possessive form when you are speaking with other members of your troop since you are all part of the 'our'. When communicating with people who are not part of your troop (i.e., those on this forum), the possessive 'my' is the most appropriate usage since you are the only subject relative to the referenced noun.

To better understand the fact that there is a difference and that the possessive forms are not necessarily interchangable, let's look at these two sentences:

"In MY troop, WE always change OUR underwear on Saturday night."

versus

"In OUR troop, WE always change MY underwear on Saturday night."

Eamonn - I hope you see that the use of the word 'MY' is entirely appropriate from a grammatical standpoint when referring to one's troop to others that are not part of that troop.