New jacket ideas, how tosuggest to Supply Division?

What would be really "cool" would be a BSA version of the old USAF MA-1 flight jacket, which is commonly available in many colors already at your local military surplus store. Dark blue would be suitable for Cubs and Sage Green (close to olive, since Olive is not available).

Since MA-1's are not official issue in the Air Force anymore (being replaced by a newer "nomex" flight jacket), why couldn't they be adopted by the Scouts? After all, the current red and blue windbreaker jackets are simply a version of the old nylon "coach's jacket", with the official patch or embroidered logo added on. Face it, the Scout uniform is a "military style" uniform, which is really part of its appeal to the kids, so why not make it "cool" instead of "dorky"? Plus, multiple MA-1 manufacturers means a contract bid could be highly competitive, give BSA the lowest possible price.

Unlike the current windbreaker jackets, the MA-1 is actually insulated, instead of just "lined". It is much more durable, for only a little higher price, yet nothing like the price of the jac-shirt, yet just as warm. It is much more practical, being reversible with a highly visible safety orange lining, pockets on both inside and outside, as well as a utility pocket on the sleeve which can hold pens/pencils in outside slots and small items inside a zippered pocket. Originally designed for crewmembers cigarette packs, it is nonetheless quite useful for scouting items such as a compass, small first aid kit or emergency "space" blanket, matches (for fire starting), sewing kit, etc.

It is also much more comfortable, following natural body contours in the sleeves. It is also short-waisted, preventing sitting on its tail, and allowing more freedom of movement. The knit collar is also more comfortable and cleaner looking than the floppy collar on the coach's jacket which is now official wear.

At least if the supply division does not want to adopt the actual MA-1, they could look to it and other military jackets as a model for a new-generation uniform jacket that would actually be worth what you would pay for it!

Another option would be an offical version of the popular "layered" jacket, having an outer "lined" nylon shell, with an integral, yet detachable fleece jacket liner, which zips into the shell, attaching to the sleeve ends with elastic loops over buttons. The fleece liner could even be made to resemble the wool "jac-shirt" for those styling "traditionalists". Sell them together or separately for those needing to save a little money or spread out their payments.

I think most would agree, we desperately need a new official uniform jacket, otherwise we are doomed to appear as a motley crew whenever any unit assembles outside in cold weather! I especially like the reversible idea, because then a uniform jacket with BSA insignia could pull double duty as civilian wear, making its purchase much more justifiable.

Are you listening Supply Division?

Rip,

Your idea is good.

I had made a suggestion earlier that the BSA should adopt some type of jacket/coat "system".

My recommendation was a 3 component system consisting of:

1. A waterproof wind/rain parka with a hood that rolls up into the collar. This would serve as a wind/rain jacket and a a light jacket. (Matching trousers would be another option to form a "rain suit")

2. A wind/rain resistant jacket that has light insulation.

3. A fleece jacket that would could be used as a liner for all of the above in cold weather, or as a light jacket.

These could all be bought and worn together or separately as needed. Similar components are readily available on the market.

As for color(s): I think that one color for all programs would suffice - perhaps some shade of green anywhere from a faded green to a dark green.

As for insignia for this: I would recommend that the red BSA patch be used on all three components but be optional.

Not only would this system "standardize" cold/cool weather jackets, but it would make available rain gear, and 3 different options for selection based on personal choice and local need based on weather, etc. It would have a ready made layering system that we recommend anyway. It could be relatively lightweight, easily worn, carried and packed.

I have made my own version of this with system for both programs that I am involved in (Boy Scouts and Venturing). For Boy Scouts I used olive green and for Venturing I use forest green. Consists of a lightweight fleece jacket, a lined hooded jacket and a water resistant nylon parka with a hoon that rolls into the collar. Each component system cost me about $60. In cold weather it can be beefed up with sweatshirts or sweaters.

As for the wool Jac-Shirt - I would recommend that the color be changed to a forest green and be optional - it could be integrated into the system I discuss above.

Rip and Owl, you guys are definitely heading in the right direction with your ideas on an outer-wear system. Rip; I like your idea to use an MA-1 style a lot as I have a very "experienced" MA-1, and in short, its one versatile jacket. The reversible color to international orange would be helpful in situations where visibility would be needed. One other thing an MA-1 style could used for is displaying patches, after all, the flight type outer-wear just seems to look "cool" with a couple extra patches on it, and by using velcro, the Scouts and Scouters could vary the patches they chose to wear. Owl; your outer-wear system would be the answer to a uniform and functional need that a Jac-Shirt and a poncho just dont quite cover effectively. I feel that the Jac-Shirt could be a part of an outer-wear system, and it would be welcomed in a shade of green. I'd personally like to see a sweater similar to the USMC style "wooly-pooly" in a shade exclusive for the BSA, and it could have velcro attachment spots for CSP's and unit numbers. I hope the folks in the supply division read these posts too, lets hope for the best.