Cub Scout Interpreter Strip

I am trying to find an official reference to the Intrepreter Strip (IS) for Cub Scouts. I have been told by Pack leadership that Cub Scouts can not earn/wear the IS. However, I have seen several references on the web in which the requirement refers to "scouts" and not Boy Scouts.

I have at least three scouts in my Wolf den who are perfectly bi-lingual and can meet all of the requirements of the IS.

Any thoughts?

I had the same question, and after hunting it down, I agree that the references are somewhat ambiguous in most places. The insignia guide does not mention it for Cub Scouts, which would lead you to think it's not available.

However, I found what I consider to be the definitive answer that it is available. In the Sports and Academics Guide, the requirements for the Language and Culture pin start off like this:

Earn the Language and Culture belt loop, and complete seven of the following requirements:

1. Earn the BSA Interpreter Strip.

2. Write the numbers 1-10 in Chinese or another number system other than the one we normally use (we use the Arabic system).

and so on. So the answer is "Yes".

Oak Tree

• 2 weeks later...

Our pack has 3 Wolves and Bears that are bi-lingual in Vietnamese. How do these boys prove to their leaders that they complete the requirements for the BSA IS? These boys go to Vietnamese school every Sunday to learn how to read and write the language,(they speak it fluently), but I don't know how far along they are in the written language. Thanks.

Do leaders also qualify for this award? If so, how do they prove their competence?

foreign language or the sign language for the hearing impaired by:

Carrying on a five-minute conversation in this language.

Translating a two-minute speech or address.

Writing a letter in the language. Does not apply for sign language.

Translating 200 words from the written word.

Source: Boy Scout Re

requirements, #33215, revised 2004

The Interpreter Strip award can be earned for any foreign language. However, the BSA only sells strips for more common languages. Interpreter Strips for other languages are sometimes available from sources outside the BSA.

Oak Tree

Maybe my earlier question wasn't clear. I already know what the requirements are, I'm asking how a den leader knows that the Scout can do all of the requirements. I know absolutely no Vietnamese, so do I take the boy's word for it or try to bring in a third party or what. Thanks.

I would do the same thing for this award as for any other Cub Scout award. Normally we take the parent's word that the Scout has completed the requirements.

But you could also work directly with the Cub. Have him translate a conversation between you and a native speaker (the Cub's parent?) Have him show you a wri

a written translation. Watch him carry on a conversation. Even if you can't understand it, you can pretty clearly tell if it's real.

There's nothing special about this award that would mean it has to be treated differently than others.

Oak Tree