Hey!

I'm currently serving as an ASM and just volunteered (or was it shanghaied?!) to be the District Roundtable commisioner.

Seeing as how this is two different positions with two different patches, I was thinking of using Velcro to attach them to my uniform; swap patches and tabs and I'm ready to go!

How much grief would the Unifom Nazi's give me? Anybody else do this?

Well, I'm sure if you have read any of my posts and don't agree with them, then perhaps I'd be considered A uniform "nazi". As to your question, why not use velcro for positon patches if you are serving in more than one office. I have seen nothing forbidding such an attachment system for Scout badges in general. And as fond of older uniforms and styles as I am, I would gladly welcome supply division offering velcro of a matching shade for the current issue uniforms. I feel such an attachment method would go far towards getting badges on uniforms and having the ability to correct mistaken placement rather easily as no sewing would be needed.

I have seen people do it. Although it is not common, it is also not uncommon.

Like most other things it depends on how well you pull it off. Two big problems I've seen with it are these: 1) extra Velcro showing on the uniform, usually where some other patch would be worn but is not appropriate for the position you want to identify with at the time, and 2) when attached, the patches must be placed properly, not tilted one way or the other.

Since you have to buy the patches anyway, go to ebay and bid on another shirt. Any way you slice it, this would be neater.

I have seen that alot, especially with scouts that change position every 6 months. But...your just putting off the inevitable, if the shirt is more than a year old go buy a new shirt for your ASM patch and retire that old stinky thing to your Commish patch. If the new position doesn't work out you still have a servicable fieldshirt for camping and keep the new one for indoor wear.

i use velcro with my 30+ year old OA patch, to switch between my long sleeve and short sleeve shirt.

Walmart (Heaven forbid, i shop there as a member of a Red State) sells them in the Craft Section.

i'm sure some "Nazi" will slam me for it, but what the heck, its my patch & my velcro...

eSM

Back when I was a scout, my Mother sewed three snaps onto my OA flap patch. I'm not sure why she did. All I know now is that my OA patch stayed dirty when my shirt got washed. Now I have a dirty 30+ year old OA patch with three snaps. :)

SWScouter

Technically speaking, commissioners are district level Scouters and should not wear the unit numbers of their unit with the Commissioner patch (same for other district positions such as District Committee). About the only correct option for Scouters dual registered in both unit and district level and about positions is to have separate shirts.

I have seen MANY Scouters who are unit Scouters also serve in District and Council positions who use velcro to attach their position patches and just change the position patch and colored shoulder loops depending on the activity. Again, technically speaking this is not correct uniforming. Check the insignia guide.

However, I see nothing wrong with it. Its shows involvement in the program at varying levels which I think is good.

One situation where velcroing position patchs would not technically violate uniform policy is for Scouters serving in more than one position above unit level - such as serving as both a Unit Commissioner and as say a member of the District Committee. A separate shirt (Without unit numbers) could be used with velcro where the posiion patch goes and then just change it based on the role being performed at the time.

I have searched and searched and have not found any mention of how patches are to be attached to the uniform (sewn, ironed on, or using velcro, pins, snaps, even staples (and yet I have seen staples used).

As for me, I have a separate shirt for distict services (without unit numbers) but it did cost me an additiona $40+ which I consider an unnecessay expenditure of funds when if the the option were officially available whe could just change position patches and shoulder loops. But I do try very hard to wear the uniform properly right down to the socks.

I wear velcro on all 3 of my shirts for unit numerals and position patch. i started doing so years ago when I was in 3 different positions on district, troop, and pack levels. That way I can remove the number when wearing a district position, or change unit numbers and positions. I found tan velcro at a fabric store, and use heavy duty, self adhesive rough side velcro on the back of patches. If the patch has plastic coating on the back, the self adhesive sticks and stays. I've never been given any grief about it, even while on district and council training teams or summer camp staff.

Aardvark;

I'm in the same boat you're in, and haven't gotten a second shirt yet. I don't wear silver tabs at my RTs either, 'cuz my only shirt has troop numerals and a sewn-on SM patch.

I need to get a new shirt pretty soon anyway, and like KDMill's idea; velcro for the troop numerals, too...

KS

I use Velcro. Heck I even put Velcro on the unit number so it can come off when I'm a UC.

Don't sweat the small stuff. The uniform nazis ain't going to put you in front of a firing squad.

Sure wear the uniform correctly, but the main thing is that you're going a great job helping out the youth in a great organization.

Remember we're in this for the boys, not self glory.