Guess How Many Scouts were in Uniform at Campout this Weekend.

What I said was that I have a pair of pants from Wal-Mart. I also stated that I do have a pair of official uniform pants that cost me $45.00. I wear the Official ones for SHOW and the Wally World ones for GO. That it. I am not saying that young man thats family can't afford a full uniform should not be ative in Scouts. I am saying that I as a Den Leader and Eagle Scout would rather have tht young man in the Pack or Troop and in a used shirt and a pair of jeans than not have him at all.

I also stated that I came from the "Old School" I was taught to wear my uniform have it neatly pressed and looking good all the time.

A person should not be judged by wordly wealth.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there are any Cub packs out there that choose to as a Pack to not be uniform. What I can relate is my own experience as a DL and a WDL. The pack my son joined was no different than any other Cub pack I have seen since or before with regards to wearing the Cub uniform,i.e...if you have your shirt-ok,..neckerchief-good,..hat-wow you are happening,...pants? we dont require the boys to wear scout pants, jeans are just fine...yadda,yadda.... I decided I would wear a full uniform and try to set an example. Alas, my example only garnered the boys in the den I led to normally wear at least the blue Cub uniform shirt,neckerchief,slide and for 5 out of 8, the hat. I was told by other pack leaders that I was a little too hard line since I would wear a complete uniform, and also that my den looked great but they dont have to be in uniform for everything (everything was never defined). I heard this line especially from a den leader who ran a monthly den meeting, never wore a uniform herself as she said the colors are "icky". This same DL also didnt make much use of the program either, most den meetings were handled as birthday parties (they were monthly after all). One of the boys in my den had a brother in this persons den and I found this info from the boys parents who complained first to myself at having to send anywhere from $5 to $15 per den meeting for "prizes". Why is this relevant? Well, none of the boys from the "party" den lasted long enough in Cub Scouts to earn their Arrow of Light. I had all 8 of the Cubs I led cross over to Boy Scouts. That crossover was almost 4 years ago and of the 8 scouts that crossed 5 are still Boy Scouts and out of that 5 most still wear only the shirt,neckerchief,slide and hat. One will wear a full uniform, but one is better than none. I am now an ASM of a Boy Scout troop and I continue to wear a full uniform, because its not up to the Pack,Troop,district,council,region,or national as to how to get the Scouts to wear the uniform, its up to the leaders to set an example for the Scouts to follow. Some Scouts follow the example better than others. Some folks seem to forget that the BSA is a uniformed youth movement. If you cant handle wearing a uniform, then maybe a less stringent group would be to your liking.

Around a year ago, the Pack leaders were reviewing the pack's bylaws. There was a section on uniforms. One part was basically an excuse for not wearing the full uniform stating that, and I paraphrase, "the expensive and unflattering pants." That may actually be the exact phrase but I'm not sure. Now, I am at a loss why something like that was ever put in the bylaws. I was able to get it removed though. I do think it is a good example of the problems out there concerning uniforming.

SWScouter