Jac-Shirt Usage

I bought my first jac-shirt (a boy's large) at Philmont when I was 14 years old.

Yes, they are (or at least were) available in boys sizes. However, few people are willing to pay the money for them, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were discontinued.

I guess the answer to the real question, from this humble guy is, I don't know.

Unc.

Thanks, guys...

I sincerely appreciate your feedback. I recall that years ago the Jac-Shirts were colored green for the boys and red for the adults. Seems almost sacrilegious to see something that was once reserved for the adults go by the wayside. Happy trails!

-Kemosabe

I checked the Insignia Guide 2003-2005 and there is a section on Jackets and their insignia. The red wool shirt-jac is mentioned but it does not mention who is authorized to wear the shirt-jac.

The 2004 Boy Scouts of America Official Retail Catalog shows the red wood shirt-jac on 6 of the LEADERS Section and page 5 of the BOY SCOUTING section (And it is listed as a "Jac-shirt". It is available in a variety of youth and adult sizes.

I am not sure if the catalog is implying that only "Leaders" and BOY SCOUTS can wear the shirt-jac or jac-shirt or not.

In my nearly 40 years in the program, I have seen adult leaders in all program areas wear the shirt-jac - especially those who have been in the program a while. And I have see some BOY SCOUTS wear it - especially the older young men. I have never seen Cub Scouts, Webelos, or Venturers were it.

I am registered as both a Boy Scout and a Venturing leader and I wear my shirt-jac with both uniforms.

It is very warm but it is not of the same high quality of older versions.

I really wish it was available in a forest or olive green though. Red is one of my least favorite colors.

Kemosabe,

I don't know when you were a Boy Scout, but I was from 1971-76 or so. I had a red jac-shirt then. Actually, I still have it, complete with the OA Indian Chief back patch. I'd really like to get a new one but haven't built up the courage to spend $152 for one... :(

SWScouter

Your solution is EBay. Bought two red wool jackets this month. You will need to check it from time to time as size availibilty varies. Right now there are about 20+/- listed.

Bid prices range from $20 to $75, typically adult sizes going for more, but it is an auction, and if some one wants one...

YIS

Thankfully my Red Wool Jacket is a family heirloom... I was actually just looking at the BSA catalog the other day, and never really noticed the price of the current jackets. My jaw dropped when I saw the $150+ price.

So for anyone interested in buying one, either go to Ebay for a used one, or save $10 a month for about a year and 4 months and you can have a new one :) Goodluck!

YIS

When I started as a Scouter in 2002, the catalog listed the jac-shirt for something like $99. The next year, when I thought about getting one, the price increased to $152 where it is now. Wow, what an increase!

I have been looking on ebay for one, thanks HopewellT8SM for the reminder. I ended up buying one off ebay this weekend. Hopefully it will be in as good of shape as it looked in the pictures.

SWScouter