What patches may be worn on red wool Jac-shirt?

I have seen it mentioned in other posts that the "official" red wool jac-shirt is limited to only a few patches, so it is not appropriate as a display medium for a patch collection. However, I am curious as to what IS allowed, and what document is the basis of this claim? I saw nothing on the Jac-shirt on the official uniform inspection guide which is available at the BSA scoutstuff.org website.

I remember back when I was a Boy Scout, besides the BSA scout emblem, many a Jac-shirt displayed the Philmont Bull black felt patch above the left pocket, as well as OA lodge patches, both on the right pocket flap and larger patches on the back. Sometimes you would occasionly see council strips, troop numbers and even Badges of office (e.g. Scoutmaster, etc.) on the sleeves as well. Nowadays, I would think the US flag patch would be appropriate as well, since it is now standard on the shirt.

What is the official word?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89

Oh no, personal preference dipping into this.  I have to put the red felt brag vest right up there with the red beret (which I have for some unknown reason).  I would rather drink bug juice in the dar

My gut feeling would be that the garment is an official uniform component and a lack of one authorized patch doesn't entitle you to wear a bunch of unauthorized ones. Would the Uniform Police be cool

Posted Images

Look at the Insignia Guide.

What I found was:

BSA Emblem on the left pocket

Order of the Arrow Jacket Patch centered on the back (If an OA Member)

Philmont Bull on the left side above the pocket

Canoe Base Loon on the left side about the pocket

Sea base conch shell on the back (I presume centered it doesn't say)

Philmont Scout Ranch emblem centered on the right pocket

Philmont Training Center emblem centered on the right pocket

High Adventure Base emblem centered on the right pocket

Large Philmont emblem centered on the back

NESA emblem centered on the back

Jamboree emblem centered on the back

National Camping School emblem centered on the back

Scoutmaster Award of Merit emblem centered on the back

International Participant emblem centered on the back

(Only one emblem may be worn centered on the back)

There may be more but I couldn't find them.

Personally I just wear the BSA emblem on the left pocket. I don't like wearing a bunch of insignia on anything.

And, I wish the jacket was available in some shade of green (I hear that the were once available in green). I don't like the color red.

The above post is correct.

The reference is the Uniform and Insignia Guide available at your Scout Shop for about 5 bucks.

Forget about putting troop numerals, council strips, lodge flaps, etc. if you want to be correct in uniforming.

One back patch is allowed, centered up and down as described by Owl62.

Owl62

The only green wool jack-shirts I've seen were a professional recognition from Boy's Life and were only presented for a year or two some 17 years ago. I'm not familiar with any BSA jak-shirt in the last 16 years in any color other than red.

Hope this helps.

Unc.

Green wool jac-shirts were made in the 60's (and maybe before, but I'm not THAT old). Green was for youth and red for Scouters and Explorers. I recently saw a BSA supply catalog from around 1965 and on the cover was a Scout wearing the green jac.

OWL62 is right on w/patch info ...per guide

only color offered by BSA is red...

red jac is thin compared to "old days" and very much out of line on price...get better goods else where for less! ... had one, @20 years old...thick and warm and new ones have @ half the wool...old one got 'wrecked' don't think I want a new one...

anarchist says "get better goods else where for less!" and this works for more than just price.

If you get anything other than the official BSA jac-shirt, those insignia guidelines do not apply. You can put whatever you feel appropriate wherever you feel appropriate. Personally, I chose the LL Bean "Trail Model Fleece". Mine is in bright red but they also have it available in Hunter Green for those looking for that.(This message has been edited by ManassasEagle)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

I was doing some searching for information on the felt Philmont Bull that typically gets sewn on the front left shoulder of the red wool Scout jacket.

Upon reading the thread above, I see a reference to the red wool Scout jackets getting thinner and more expensive. I agree.

Here's a great option... and it's an official jacket and looks the same.

Bemidji Woolen Mills in Bemidji, MN makes the red wool Scout jackets for Northern Tier. It's a heavier material AND it has slash pockets in the front. THEN, when you throw in the fact it comes with the same BSA patch already sewn on the pocket, they come in TALL SIZES and are in the range of $30 less than the one made by company "X", I say it's a case of getting more for less.

http://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/details.php?id=voyscout

Bought one for my son and I'm already envious. It's a nicer jacket than mine.

When you look at the link, the jacket appears to not be available in the TALL sizes. The Scout jacket is the same as their Voyageur jacket which is available in the tall sizes. Simply give them a call.

The other option is to call Northern Tier and order it there. Their trading post inventory is online. Go to www.ntier.org and click on the Trading Post Catalog link.

(No, I don't work for either Bemidji or NT. Just a happy Scouter who likes their product.)

If you are really wanting an older heavy red wool...Ebay is the place to go! Got mine for about $30 as opposed to the $150+ for the new ones! True that you sometimes do have to play around a while in order to win the bid on one..but it's worth the time and effort.

sue m.

I tried for a while on e-bay, but I never could find one in my size, 5X, while it was on the rack at the Scout Shop, unlike the other uniform parts which I had to special order.

So, when ScoutStuff.org offered a free framed back pack ($50 value when checked on Amazon.com), which we needed for our son anyway, for purchases of $100 or more (excluding awards), I told my wife the jac-shirt was what I wanted for Father's Day. Looked at another way, we bought a $50 backpack we would have bought anyway (it or one like it), and got a $50 discount off the jac-shirt! I am happy!

Besides, if it gets so cold I would need the heavier version (Norther Tier 4-pocket, or older Scout 2-pocket) I would rather wear a parka with a hood! Then I will wear my "thinner" wool jac-shirt under the parka for a nice "layered" effect!

I tried for a while on e-bay, but I never could find one in my size, 5X, while it was on the rack at the Scout Shop, unlike the other uniform parts which I had to special order.

So, when ScoutStuff.org offered a free framed back pack ($50 value when checked on Amazon.com), which we needed for our son anyway, for purchases of $100 or more (excluding awards), I told my wife the jac-shirt was what I wanted for Father's Day. Looked at another way, we bought a $50 backpack we would have bought anyway (it or one like it), and got a $50 discount off the jac-shirt! I am happy!

Besides, if it gets so cold I would need the heavier version (Norther Tier 4-pocket, or older Scout 2-pocket) I would rather wear a parka with a hood! Then I will wear my "thinner" wool jac-shirt under the parka for a nice "layered" effect!

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if you can use a Wood Badge back patch? Ive seen a few nice Wood badge back patches. I also bought my jacket from Woolrich. They made the jacket for the BSA. I paid $80.00 + Shipping and handling. You need to call them its not on there web site.

Used to be a Beaver

To Chief Decorah,

THANK YOU for posting the link on Bernidji Woolen Mills. One thing Supply Corporation does not do is size stuff for tall folks ... my son is on the small side of adult Large, but he's LONG, and he outgrew the standard Large in the sleeves a year ago.

I trust the Uniform Police here will understand if they ever try to confront me when I say "May I see your arrest warrant please? Oh, you don't have one? Excuse me, I'm going to go serve some youth, thank you."

• 1 month later...