What patches may be worn on red wool Jac-shirt?

4 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

It wasn’t part of my youth in the ‘82-‘96. Now I see adults wearing them on the lapels of their uniforms - all too often. 

I was presented with a set of pins when I earned my Eagle award in 2003. I think they may have come with my medal. I don't recall seeing many parent or mentor pins on display before then. If @mrjohns2hadn't seen them by 1996, I'm guessing they were first issued around 2000 - does anyone know for sure? I lean toward being more of a uniform minimalist, but I would probably wear an Eagle Dad pin someday if my son continues with Scouts.

Pins look nice on the pocket flap of a Jac-shirt, but have diminishing returns on an actual uniform shirt.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89

Oh no, personal preference dipping into this.  I have to put the red felt brag vest right up there with the red beret (which I have for some unknown reason).  I would rather drink bug juice in the dar

My gut feeling would be that the garment is an official uniform component and a lack of one authorized patch doesn't entitle you to wear a bunch of unauthorized ones. Would the Uniform Police be cool

Posted Images

2 hours ago, BetterWithCheddar said:

Pins look nice on the pocket flap of a Jac-shirt, but have diminishing returns on an actual uniform shirt.

Perfect place for these types of things. Wear your eagle dad pin there and on your heart. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

OK since my other recent posts have been so serious, I figure I might be able to necro-post on this "fun" one! 

I recently bought a BSA red jacshirt and affixed the official BSA patch on the front. I wore it to a Council Klondike Derby, and let's just say, the red shirt is making a SWIFT comeback! So many of them were there, but I was "called out" for not having enough patches! All the other guys had their shirts covered in patches. They had every camporee they've ever been to, unit insignia, council patches, OA patches,...just covered. Mine was blank.

So ok, the uniform police say just the BSA patch, maybe an OA thingy, and a Philmont or other high adventure patch....but uniform police aside, what do people think about this nowadays (I say that since this thread was started 20 years ago!). 

I'm specifically wondering if, as a scoutmaster, it would be appropriate to place previous scouter position patches like Cubmaster, 50 miler award, week long scout camp patches, Scout Show patches, and even non-scouting patches from Appalachian Mountain Club high mountain huts? I guess maybe I'm answering my own question, by saying if I'm not willing to follow BSA guidelines, then why do I care....but just looking for opinions, especially about the Cubmaster patch....or even my old rank patches (I still have them all up to Life!).

Thoughts?

IMG_8685.jpeg

Position patches, maybe,. Places gone to, events visited,  honorary stuff, sure.  This is the adult version of the "Brag Vest".  

Be aware, there are SERIOUS patch collectors out there.  When you sew on, sew on TIGHT, and  keep track of the coat. PUT YOUR NAME IN IT IN PERMANENT INK.  Maybe a phone number , too.   I have heard stories of Scouters sitting at a big campfire event and realized SOMEONE was attempting to razor blade a patch off their back !  A Scout is ... but some may not be...

Treat your jacket as a "work in progress".  Mine has enough space for a few more, as the mood and event strike me. 

See you on the trail.... 

Edited by SSScout
27 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Treat your jacket as a "work in progress".  Mine has enough space for a few more, as the mood and event strike me. 

Would love to see it? Maybe worth a "show us your jac shirt" thread of it's own? I mean, if we are going to make a brag jacket, we might as well brag about it, right?

This is one of the numerous judgment calls from my perspective.  The Insignia Guide notes certain limitations, but ultimately, they are not absolutes as long as the owner can field objections by the Uniform Police.  So, do what is right for you and deal with the nonsense as able.  Not worth a serious verbal debate.  JMHO of course.  And, since I no longer am able to wear mine due to girth, I guess I could just turn it into a hanger brag rag of some sort.

Edited by skeptic
14 minutes ago, skeptic said:

And, since I no longer am able to wear mine due to girth, I guess I could just turn it into a hanger brag rag of some sort.

No worries, brother! Uniforms have a tendency to shrink all the time! ;)

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, skeptic said:

This is one of the numerous judgment calls from my perspective.  The Insignia Guide notes certain limitations, but ultimately, they are not absolutes as long as the owner can field objections by the Uniform Police.  So, do what is right for you and deal with the nonsense as able.  Not worth a serious verbal debate.  JMHO of course.  And, since I no longer am able to wear mine due to girth, I guess I could just turn it into a hanger brag rag of some sort.

If there are no patches on it, wanna sell it?  I give these as gifts to awesome Scouters...

5 hours ago, Maboot38 said:

No worries, brother! Uniforms have a tendency to shrink all the time! ;)

I think there is some kind of bug in closets of older people.  Though, I do know a few old friends that have gone the other direction, and one old HS flame that can still fit in her HS clothes.  Her now almost forty daughter used to wear her mom's old HS stuff when she was in HS herself, especially for those throw back days.  

12 minutes ago, scoutldr said:

I'll even pull the applicable verbiage out:

"Members should make every effort to keep their uniforms neat and uncluttered. "

"Jackets and Their Insignia

Multicolored jackets are available for optional wear by youth members and adult leaders. The universal emblem should be worn on the left pocket or, in case of a jacket without chest pockets, in the same area. The Philmont bull emblem is especially designed for the red  wool jac-shirt to be sewn on the left side above the pocket.

On all jackets, Philmont Scout Ranch, Philmont Training Center, or high-adventure  base emblems may be worn centered on the right pocket or in the same relative position if there is no pocket. The Order of the Arrow has adopted the jac-shirt as its official jacket, and members may wear the 6-inch national Order of the Arrow patch centered on the back.

The large Philmont, NESA, jamboree, National Camping School, and international participant emblems are approved to be worn on the back of the jacket. Only one such emblem may be worn at a time."

• Upvote 1