What patches may be worn on red wool Jac-shirt?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89

Oh no, personal preference dipping into this.  I have to put the red felt brag vest right up there with the red beret (which I have for some unknown reason).  I would rather drink bug juice in the dar

My gut feeling would be that the garment is an official uniform component and a lack of one authorized patch doesn't entitle you to wear a bunch of unauthorized ones. Would the Uniform Police be cool

Posted Images

You know. "THE UNIFORM POLICE" The one person in any group who takes great pride in telling everyone there uniform is wrong. I still wear my Woodbabge patrol patch. He tells me I'm wrong all the time. So I went and bought on off E-Bay that is non BSA just to bug him. HAHAHAHAHA.

• 3 weeks later...

So Rip is what you saying is youve got a lot of patches like the rest of us and you want to proudly display them at camporees and such? When I went to a BSCanada Jambo in 84 most all scouts up there had "Patch Blankets" usually wool and covered in patches. I thought that was great and am currently working on transferring them to a new green fleece. Of course the U.P. would say those BSC patches are not official BSA but you know what Rip? You and I PAID for those patches and therefore have ownership rights.

"I don't think the "Sea Base Conch Shell" is still in use. "

Oh? Last time I was down at the Sea Base (early this year), I thought they were still selling them.

"Our troop just went there and received a "shark" patch instead.

Anyone have any info on this? "

Yeah. See the Insignia Guide.

The Philmont Bull, Northern Tier Loon, and Sea Base Conch Shell or Sea Base Shark, all get worn on the red jac-shirt in the same location: above the left pocket, near the shoulder seam. You only wear one.

• 2 months later...

Getting back to the original question: What patches may be worn on the red wool Jac-shirt?

Owl62 answered Philmont Training Center emblem centered on the right pocket

The insignia guide states (under the universal & nonunit insignia section) that the "Philmont Training Center, cloth, Scouter, right pocket of uniform or red jacket" and shows two patches. The patches look very similar to each other. the caption under one is Identification and the other is Conference participants. The one with the Identification caption looks what appears to be Cimmarron Something on the bottom. The other one has Conference on the bottom. I assume the first one is for staff but am not sure. I attended a conference and received a patch for the course I took (Strictly for Scoutmasters) and also a generic PTC patch. The course patch has SCOUTING PHILMONT around the top and STRICTLY SM on the bottom. The center has a picture of the Tooth of Time with the year.

My question, may I wear either on the right pocket?

• 1 month later...

I know this is a very old string... but I figured that others might stumble across it in newer searches on the topic just like I did.

Found a very informative webpage in my surfing efforts. You might find it useful:

http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/jacshirt1.htm

Got my Eagle... left when college beckoned me to drink and chase women... back for my 8-yo stepson.

Mike Walton has a nice website with a lot of good information and history. It also has a lot of personal opinion and policy interpretations which differ from the opinions of others (kinda like what we have on these forums). His opinion that the owner of the jac-shirt can decorate it in any manner he desires conflicts with the Insignia Guide which lists the specific patches that are permitted.

I have read that you can wear Jambo patches on the back of the jacket but is it approproate to wear a jambo patch from when your were a kid on there? I have a nice 1998 jambo patch that I got when I was a Boy Scout that I would love to put on there.

And not following the Insignia Guide when it comes to my jacket affects my Scouting Paycheck HOW???

Oh. It takes a zero off of it. A whole order of magnitude.

0 - 0 = .... volunteer time and energy.

"I have read that you can wear Jambo patches on the back of the jacket but is it approproate to wear a jambo patch from when your were a kid on there? I have a nice 1998 jambo patch that I got when I was a Boy Scout that I would love to put on there. "

Are you entitled to wear the 1998 Jamboree patch on your uniform? (ie, were you a Jamboree Participant or staff member at the 98 jamboree?).

If so, yes, you can wear the 98 Jamboree Jacket patch on your red jacket.

If you did not attend the 98 jamboree, no, you can't wear it.

• 12 years later...

Actually the green jacket was offered during the 1990s but were not very popular. They were pretty heavy and had a BSA logo embroidered on the pocket. When they sold out they were gone forever.  The red jacket is a personal item that is not regulated by the BSA.  Therefore you can wear any patches you want anywhere you want.  Careful research will show that all of the suggestions about patches are just that, suggestions. There are no hard and fast rules about decorating your red jacket.  I would suggest carefully checking the BSA uniform regs.  So, as long as it is appropriate for scouting activities, sowe away and have fun.  Sorry to those who have graduated from the Federal Patch and Insignia Police Academy, but you have no jurisdiction of red (or green) jackets.