What patches may be worn on red wool Jac-shirt?

Was wondering if ACAMPBELL code post the STYLE code for the woolricj shirt. I called Woolrich and they couldn't find anything about a red wool jac shirt or a two button red jac shirt. THe rep then asked me for a style number so I thought I'd come back here. THANKS in Advance !!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89 89

Oh no, personal preference dipping into this.  I have to put the red felt brag vest right up there with the red beret (which I have for some unknown reason).  I would rather drink bug juice in the dar

My gut feeling would be that the garment is an official uniform component and a lack of one authorized patch doesn't entitle you to wear a bunch of unauthorized ones. Would the Uniform Police be cool

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

It must be the sales reps that I get when i call there. One did say the style number would be on a tag inside the shirt. I figure wither at the collar or along a side seam most of the way down the side. Sorry to be a pain but being Larger-Leader these can get very expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been patiently waiting and searching Ebay for about a year.

I found a 40 Long Jac-Shirt over the summer for my father. Looks almost new, and cost less than $50 total.

I finally got mine, a 2XL, last week. Just over $90 total. (That is about the going rate for a "supersized" one). The jacket is, as far as I can tell, NEW. I got it for almost half price, compared with $160 something at the local store.

If anyone is searching on Ebay, here are the 2 searches I had running for the last year:

Search One: Search All of Ebay For "red wool boy scout shirt"

Search Two: Search Category: "Boy Scouts > Uniforms, Clothing" AND Search For: "red wool"

These two searches sometimes duplicated, but often there were items that appeared on one and not the other. Search #2 also shows many of the Red Berets that appear on Ebay as well.

I hope someone else benifits from my trial and error.

YiS,

Jon

Your post about your search for an XXL red wool Scout jacket made me do a little searching myself, first to the BSA distribution center ($152)

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?ctlg=05NDC&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=APPAREL&C3=JACKETS&C4=&LV=3&item=541BSJ

...then to the Bemidji Woolen Mills website ($138)

http://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/details.php?id=voyscout

...then to the Northern Tier Trading Post (same Bemidji jacket) ($115)

http://www.ntier.org/Adobe%20Documents/TradingPostCatalogsummer06.pdf

Only my two cents, of course, but the Bemidji jacket beats the Woolrich jacket every which way from Sunday. It's heavier, therefore warmer, and it has slash pockets in the front. Folks, it's a dandy jacket. If I ever need a new jacket, that's the one for me.

(Again, no affiliation. Bought one for my son and have seen the two jackets side by side. There's no comparison, and it costs less.)

So if I read this correctly, as you see it, the red wool jacket with the official BSA patch on the pocket manufactured by Bemidji Woolen Mills and sold at Northern Tier, a national high adventure base of the BSA, doesn't qualify as "official" simply because it's not sold through BSA distribution?

Looking at it, its a green poplin jacket, not a wool jac-shirt.

As to whether or not it was for Explorers, while many think in terms of red=boy scouts, green= explorers (now Venturers), orginally it was the other way around in terms of the garter tabs, jackets, and background color on service stars.

red jac-shirts were for explorers, green jac-shirts for boy scouts, etc. AFAIK, this poplin jacket was for Boy Scouts, as Explorer had the red one. Later they dropped the green jac-shirts & poplin jackets for red ones for both Explorers and Boy Scouts. The nylon jackets came later.

I got a red poplin jacket as a boy scout in 1981. AFAIK, no other color of the poplin jacket existed then.

Trevorum,

It looks like that jacket is indeed a Boy Scout, not Explorer jacket. However, it is definitely NOT a wool Jac-shirt. It looks like a cotton poplin windbreaker, similar to the old Boy Scout red jacket, which was replaced by the red nylon "coaches jacket".

When you look at the photos you can see the logo is clearly the BSA universal emblem, usually only used for Boy Scouts and Scouters, not for Explorers. The green color is interesting. It does not seem to match the old olive color I wore as a Boy Scout in the 1960's and '70's.

The "iron on" tag or label with the scout logo and two lines appears to read "NAME AND -------" printed at the top, then on two printed lines and the space below are handwritten letters. I could only make out "Troop 419" below the bottom line, so that would also indicate a Boy Scout or Scouter use. Perhaps it was a Leader's jacket of some type or an early version of the windbreaker before they changed to red.

I do not remember any jackets being available when I was a kid, but that doesn't mean they weren't. Wool "CPO jackets" were a kind of jac-shirt that was in style at the time, and many scouts wore these over their uniforms while at camporees rather than the ubiquitous "ski jacket", or windbreaker. Mine was a brown/green plaid that complimented the uniform quite nicely, though I secretly envied the Scouters and older scouts who had gotten the jac-shirts at Philmont. I am not really sure why I didn't buy a jac-shirt at Philmont when I went. It was August, and maybe they had run out of stock or I could not afford it, not sure.

Anyway, I got one now. Hinted to my wife to buy one for last Father's Day, and with the weather just now turning cold, had the first chance to wear it last week, while walking with my Cub Scout selling popcorn door-to-door. It was quite warm, so warm that I had to leave it unbuttoned! Now if only BSA would make a rugged parka shell(with hood) that could be worn separately or over the jac-shirt to repel the elements, I would be in Scouter heaven! It would be great for layering, possibly with its own detachable fleece or quilted poly-filled liner.

"So if I read this correctly, as you see it, the red wool jacket with the official BSA patch on the pocket manufactured by Bemidji Woolen Mills and sold at Northern Tier, a national high adventure base of the BSA, doesn't qualify as "official" simply because it's not sold through BSA distribution?"

To slice this even thinner, it seems to me that the Northern Tier jacket is clearly "scout-related," just as a T-shirt you might buy at summer camp is. Certainly it's OK to wear it. But perhaps it is not "the" red wool jac-shirt referred to in the Insignia Guide. The question, then, would be what patches one may put on it, if any. Does the Insignia Guide allow or prohibit the placement of patches on non-uniform garments?

"But perhaps it is not "the" red wool jac-shirt referred to in the Insignia Guide. The question, then, would be what patches one may put on it, if any. Does the Insignia Guide allow or prohibit the placement of patches on non-uniform garments?"

Then again, the next question is, even IF there is a standard for the red jackets...what if you don't abide by it? In my mind, it simply becomes a non-uniform garment. Most leaders in our district use the red jackets as bragging vests, patches all over the back, etc...I don't know about most of you, but I wear jackets a lot more than I wear vests...the vests aren't very stylish on adults, in my opinion.

The jacket I got from Woolrich the only number on it is on the neck tag. Next to Official Jacket is WPL 6635 . Now for NON BSA garments, I dont think the hand book covers non BSA cloths. So anything you put on the garment is fine. As long as you dont try to pass it off as an Official garment. The Uniform Police will come down hard on you. The only thing I think I might put on my jacket is the BSA patch, US Flag, and Wood badge critter.