My boy does not at present play in any organized sports. Scouting is his activity. Most boys in our troop who are strong sports kids give 110% when they are off season. I think they have a lot to offer. Some boys are never off season and have probably made a mistake taking on Scouting too. Usually it is mom or dad looking at an Eagle and not realizing how time consuming that pursuit is. Frankly if a boy is busy every sports season they will eventually drop themselves out. In the meantime they should not be in a POR. Like Sunday School compared to "real" school scouting has no teeth to remove or control problem or inactive youth. I understand the need to have scouts "get in or get out of the game" but I think that the boys will come to that conclusion themselves in time.

I believe you're right about boys coming to the realization by themselves in time. But my experience has been that sometimes, the boys and their parents need to be reminded (gently counselled) about the decisions they may have to make in order to give their best efforts to all that they get involved in.

gee wiz- don't we all... i can't count the number of things i've tried to do all at once or everything i've tried to be somewhat active in. i recently joined our local Lions club and i thought, man that's all i need, but they are pretty easy going people, and i guess they're okay with me just visiting once in a while. i guess they're just thankful to have someone else with the same interests join them. i think it's okay to be active, just so long as you're not letting others down like Rooster7 alluded to. really, it's okay for kids to do a lot of stuff. most kids can handle it very well. as for their parents, well that's another story. if their grades suffer- then it'll have to be dealt with. but no one should be discouraged from living life, meeting new friends, being involved in their community, joining clubs, helping others more than themselves, etc. there's no way Scouting or school can teach them everything...

• 2 weeks later...

About 1/2 of the 50 boys in our troop are in sports. The other 1/2 are not.

The one thing I resent about the kids so involved in sports: all of the troop activities are planned around THEIR sports activities. I do not think this is fair to the other 1/2 who are not in sports. I can see accomodating the sports playing scouts SOME of the time...but the troop schedule shound not always have to revolve around these particular scouts.

I think some troop activities could be planned...and if it coincides with a sports event...the scout will have to choose. I do not think it is right to have the kids who are in sports making the troop schedule!

and since they boys (PLC) plan the program and schedule, its their fault if dates conflict in the first place. Im sure that they boys wouldnt plan a campout on homecoming weekend now would they? However, an adult Im not so sure about

"and since they boys (PLC) plan the program and schedule, its their fault if dates conflict in the first place."

Our troop has only had ONE PLC in the last year. The boys are NOT planning the activities. The adults are.

I had NO idea the boys were supposed to be doing PLC's until I attended Boy Scout Leader Training this past Spring. I have sat in on every committee meeting for the last 15 months (since our son joined this troop). There is never any input from the boys. When I question this, I am given confused stares.

Short of switching troops, which my son does not want to do, how do we get our troop to do PLC's? The advice I was given at training was to start small...within a patrol. So that is what my husband (who is an Asst. Scoutmaster) and I have done. Since our SPL has NO idea how to lead, having never been taught, we are taking what was learned at training back to the scouts.

The boys in my sons patrol are now planning their own patrol level activities. We have sought the help of the SPL and ASPL, even though they don't really know what they're supposed to do (they have never had any training). Over the last three months, the other patrols and the leaders have noticed the guys in my sons patrol having fun and earning ranks.

Until the BOYS are actually running this troop, I don't see the BOYS having any influence on the schedule. Hopefully, this situation will continue to turn around.

It is frustrating that this unit does not follow the program. If the boys have not been taught how to follow the program, through use of PLC's and such, then they are not really a boy led troop, right?

The PLC is the responsibilty of the SPL. The SPL's advisor is the Scoutmaster. The Scoutmaster is also responsible for the training of the SPL and his PLC. Ask the Scoutmaster what's going on, and if training is in the works. As always, when one questions Troop (BSA) policy, that very same one sets themselves up to be the leader.

I say, for the sake of the Troop program and the Scouts, GO FOR IT!!!!!

kdhoogland, in one word, RIGHT! If your boys are not running the program, quite simply, your troop is broken and needs to be fixed.

From the confused stares you got I would assume that your adult leadership is unaware of fact the properly running troops are boy run. Sounds like the entire leadership needs to attend a Junior Leader Training session for the boys and Scoutmaster fundamentals for your adults. Check to see if your district or council has one coming up so you can all get trained by people that know and understand how the program should work.

I went through what you are trying to do when I got active again a few years back. The adults ran the show and the boys didn't have a clue about leadership (I might add the adults really didn't either) But once everyone got trained and warmed up to the way it should be, things started happening. Just don't expect anything to run smoothly, the boys are SUPPOSED to mess up. That is part of the learning process. When things fall down don't let the adults take over again, work through it with the boys.

I have to say, it's exciting to see boys begin to take over their own troop from the adults and run with it.

Good Luck.

Thanks. We have troop elections anually. except that I, the SM, select the SPL. He must, however, complete our Council's JLT program within 3 months, or he loses that position. Upon choosing his ASPL (who must also attend JLT), the SPL then holds the elections for PL's, with the same requirement. But the APL's are not required to attend JLT, but are encouraged to do so.

As a result I have my new SPL and ASPL going to JLT training this June.The new PL's have already been trained and are doing well. Our boy run program is exactly that, even though some of our adult advisors don't always appreciate, understand, or agree with the PLC's decisions. I do know that the JLT program helps my boys tremendously. When they return from this program, they are inspired and READY!! Anyway, we do allow the boys to mess up, but we are there when they need us. Thanks.

Thanks for all of the encouragement regarding our troop situation!

To Mike Long: I was very glad to read your post...and to see that this situation can be turned around. I have found out that many of the leaders DO NOT have training. I have also found out that our council is having a training session in three weeks...and am encouraging them to attend.

I do understand that the Scoutmaster is to be the advisor for the SPL. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be happening. My husband and I are quite willing to step forward and be leaders...this is why we have both taken training. The scoutmaster does seem to be more willing to accept our help. He DID take scoutmaster training at Philmont...so I am a bit confused as to why he is not following the program.

jrakes,

Just a point of information, although I would suspect you know this, the SPL is supposed to be elected by the scouts in the troop, not appointed by the Scoutmaster, except in very unusual circumstances. If your troop is very new, very young, very inexperienced, then it might be a good idea for the SM to start things off by appointing the SPL, or if you've had a mass migration of older scouts due to graduation, etc. Otherwise, the scouts should elect him. It's not always possible to avoid the popularity thing, it happens. But it's something we must deal with if we're to make the program and the troop truly "boy lead" and "boy run".

Kdhoogland, ALL situations can be turned around wether for good or evil. All it takes is for concerned, thoughtful people to take ownership of the issue and good things start happening.

As to why a trained Scoutmaster doesn't follow the program. In my experience most of the time it is from not understanding the program (usually from a lack of training as an adult or experience with a well run program as a boy) or just old fashioned burn-out. Sometimes good people just get tired and need help getting motivated again. Most of us struggle with burnout at one time or another.

Like I said, ALL situations can be turned around.