sewing patches on pockets

I also use staples, with a fairly long stapler so I can reach down into the pocket. Then I sew it by hand alternating l-o-n-g stitches inside the pocket with tiny stitches up through the patch. I like AuntGuinea's method, though, and will try that next time.

The little plastic envelope jobbies that hold a patch and dangle from the pocket's button are another solution, but I think they're kind of tacky.

A related question to consider is WHY the two pockets have patches that periodically get changed, while the ones that rarely if ever get changed are on the sleeves and other areas where you CAN sew by machine? Yeah, I know, "We've always done it this way". Wouldn't it be nice if the BSA revised its patch placement to be more practical?

A brief anecdote.....one evening my father was sewing a bunch of my sister's girl scout badge on her sash, asking "what's this one for?" about each one. Her answer for the third or fourth badge was "sewing" - and that was the end of Dad's sewing service!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is how I get patches sewn on uniform shirts. "Son, I'll get the needle and thread for you."   It really is that simple.

Sew it on by hand. It's not exactly a piece of cake, but it can be done so the finished job looks good and the pocket is still a pocket.

This may be sacrilegious but I use a professional tailor! I don't have rank badges anymore but temporary insignia on the right pocket. It's the same principle.   My tailor will do this: "take the

I just financed a new machine for one of the contract embroiderers used by the BSA. The machine had to be able to apply the iron-on adhesive to the back of the patch. I was told by the manager of the business that the BSA plans to start switching over to iron-on options in the near future. We shall see....

In regards to getting duplicates of rank patches:

Our scout shop will sell them to you as long as you have proof of them being earned. I recently picked up my son's Wolf Badge (CM forgot to buy it) and all I had to do was get a copy of his current rank at the front desk of council. Quick and easy.

Kristi

Re duplicates - Our scout shop also sells duplicates with either the rank card or signed book.

Re iron-on - that sure would be nice! I mistook the plastic backing for iron-on backing on a Webelo patch; Ironing did make the patch stick, but I was never able to completely get the melted plastic off when he moved up to a scout and it was time to change patches.

Eamonn...

hehehehehe...what a hoot:)

Let Her Who Must be Obeyed know I'm upping the sewing challenge. Come spring, I'll be planting flax, and cotton. Going to make my own thread and yarn....

maybe I'll buy a sheep or two, too...;)

• Downvote 1

acco40's answer RULES!

t'was the way my mom did it exactly.....back in the good old dark ages...

course then oldest son discovered scout shop patch glue (smells like silicone caulk?)

Younger son went to beige velcro...matches nicely

Thankfully, we have a SM that says when a boy reaches 1st class they are required to do all patch sewing themselves. I have 3 uniformed scouts (a star, a 1st class, and a tiger) and 2 uniformed scouters. This means there are an awful lot of patches to be sewn. For pockets specifically I have taught the boys to use an upholstery needle that is curved. This makes it easier to catch the outer rim of the patch and hook it straight back down. Thus matching thread isn't an issue because you don't go all the way through the patch. If you really want to worry about anybody seeing the stitches use quilters thread as it is clear and will therefore match everything.

We just sacrifice the pockets and sew straight on through...

I usta sew on his Cub patches, but when he earned his T'foot I showed my son how to sew. He really got into it and asked, "Dad, is there a sewing merit badge?"

Now, he's wised up and avoids needle and thread as much as possible. :)

• 9 years later...

Here's an idea taken from the military: buy a couple of strips of 2" beige Velcro (I actually use Country Brook Hook and Loop - linked below). Stitch the soft side the old fashioned way to the pocket using many of the tips already given. Use a sewing machine to attach a strip of the hook side to the back of the rank badge. Trim neatly. Attach the rank badge to the uniform pocket. This method means sewing one time by hand. The machine takes care of the rank badges. Since the boys change rank often, it's a matter of simply pulling off the old patch and sticking on the new one once rank is attained.

Welcome to the forums, Mr. D. I have to tell you I had a bit of deja vu at first and almost rewrote my suggestion to the question in the original post until I realized it was almost 10 years old, lol, and found my response on page 1. It was nice to see some old names that we rarely read anymore. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does anyone know if all the patches are converted to 'iron on' as one post predicted? If so, our shop must still have the old ones.

Thanks, Packsaddle. Lot's of good advice here. It helped me out yesterday. So, in take-a-penny/ leave-a-penny fashion, I felt compelled to leave something of value behind. Though the string is a decade old, I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles (or will struggle) with pockets.

To answer your question, patches are as they always have been - at least where I live. Badge Magic sells a popular product that is like a sheet of gummy two sided tape. Link Below. It works, but after a few uniform washes the patches can start to peel away - especially the shoulder patches that tend to be under a little pressure.

I've also found myself You-Tubing how to take the patches off when it came time for upgrades. The WD-40 method seems to work, but it mottles the color in the synthetic uniform. I bought a sewing machine, taught myself how to string the beast, and went back to stitching - until that pocket confounded me. I very nearly took the pocket off so I could sew the patch or Velcro on with the machine - except I figured I'd never get it back together correctly.

The Velcro option helped me justify the pin pricks to my big hands in that little packet. Velcro means that I will do it once and use it many times. I also found that attaching the hook portion to the back of rank badges makes mounting in a shadow box a snap. Bonus!