Webelos - Blue to Khaki

I'm a faily new committee leader and we have a new Webelos I den/patrol that is struggling with whether to go blue or khaki and, if khaki, whether it should be 'earned'. Most of the boys have their blue uniforms from their previous rank, but we do have a transferring Webelos that has his khaki and all the boys want it.

I like the idea of having the 'earn the priviledge' of wearing the khaki but not sure of an appropriate accomplishment to tie to this. Any experience or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

TD

This has been discussed before, but you may have trouble finding it. One thread that I recalled was:

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=53759

I don't agree with the "earning the privilege" idea. They are members of scouting, and as such, they have the right (and privilege) to wear the uniform. Therefore, an active Webelos Scout actually has the right to wear either of two uniforms, the Cub Scout Blue or the Boy Scout Khaki.

We encourage our parents to purchase the khaki during their first year, around the time they earn their Webelos rank. But we leave it up to them. If financially that is too much of a burden, we don't press them. Some want their boy to wear it until he grows out of it or he wears it out.

Peer pressure will usually bring the stragglers along. Once a couple of boys get the khaki, they usually all want it.

There is no need for a "struggle" and no decision to be made by you as a pack leader. When to switch to the khaki/olive uniform is not a choice to be made by the den, or the pack -- it is up to the parents/guardians of each individual Webelos scout. The right to wear it is "earned" by being a member of a Webelos den, which in most packs would be achieved by completing the third grade.

Now, I can almost hear you saying, "What's the point of having a UNIFORM at all if it is not "uniform," i.e. half the boys are in blue and half in khaki?" (Or words to that effect. I know those words because I've thought them myself, as have a lot of other people.) The answer seems to be that the BSA, at least so far, would rather leave it up to parents to decide when (within a time span of 18 months, give or take) to shell out the bucks for a new uniform. That seems like a reasonable choice to me.

Of course, it may be that from this point forward, the issue starts to takes care of itself, because of the recent change from the orange Tiger shirt, to putting Tigers in the blue uniform. It used to be that the blue uniform was purchased at the beginning of second grade, which (especially if it was purchased somewhat "large" as many people do) made it possible that the boy could be well into the fourth grade, or conceivably all the way to crossover, without outgrowing the uniform. (It may have "helped" that in my son's pack, nobody wore the uniform pants, which of course is another issue.) I think that becomes less and less likely when the blue uniform is purchased at the beginning of FIRST grade. It may now become common for the uniform to be outgrown at or shortly after the boy becomes a Webelos. And that MAY eventually lead the BSA to prescribe the khaki/olive uniform as soon as the boy becomes a Webelos; but for now, that has not happened.

Great minds think alike, huh Jersey? I agree that the Tiger cub uniform decision will likely make the transition to khaki happen sooner and with less resistance.

I heard a while back that they no longer sell the diamond shape Webelos rank. If that is true, and only the oval patch is sold, it gives credence to your idea of requiring the khaki for Webelos.

I agree with the above two gentlemen. (Both NJ and I have philosophical objections to using the phrase "ditto".)

I tell our parents to make the change whenever size becomes an issue, although I'm sure peer pressure is a factor. No one wants to be the last kid in the den wearing blue.

Not that it really matters to TD's question, but the last I heard was that the Webelos diamond badge would continue because the LDS units will still use it. The rest of us will need the oval badge as there will no longer be a slot for the diamond on the uniforms.

The Blue to Khaki debate is now raging in our Pack. I have advised our Web I leader several times that the choice is not his or mine as Cubmaster (or even some parent committee) to make. It is up to the individual Scout's family. This had irked the Web Leader as he feels the boys should have to "earn" the Khaki shirt. I told him he can do as he wishes with his son and that's the extent of his shirt power.

On a side note, the Tigers in blue may reduce the number of Blue shirts making it to Webs but won't remove it completely. LDS Cubs aren't the only ones that don't earn Tiger. Many boys join in 2nd grade and will have room on a blue shirt for the Web diamond as opposed to needing the oval.

just my 2 coppers

Michelle

CM - Pack 102

Orland, ME

My son is a Webelos 1 this year. His blue uniform just fits and the shorts are getting a little tight. I told him I would get him the tan and green uniform after he earns his Webelos badge. Well, his comment back to me was that he wants to stay in the blue because it looks better. Who am I to argue fashion? :)

Sorry to disappoint all of you but there is no khaki Webelos uniform! There is a Blue Uniform and a Tan Uniform (or Tan/Olive). The Blue Uniform consists of the Blue shirt, blue trousers or shorts (NOT blue jeans, but official BSA items), blue socks with gold tops. The tan/olive uniform consists of the official tan shirt, olive (not GREEN) trousers or shorts and olive socks with red tops.

The hat and neckerchief is identical in both formats.

A Webelos (not Webelo) Scout may wear either uniform. Tradition in my household was to buy the first blue shirt too big and when outgrown, if a Webelos Scout, go with an oversized tan shirt. Most of the boys outgrow before they outwear at this age.

Last Monday I held our yearly parents meeting for my den, now Webelos. The first thing on everyones mind was the uniform change. Right, wrong or indifferent, here is what I told them.

If the uniform fits wear it! Dont run out and spend $105.00 on the new uniform unless you really want to, not yet anyway. You can buy the hat, neckerchief, and slide for now! If you insist on buying the new uniform, dont transfer over all of your sons badges and arrow points, it will only ruin the new shirt, and make it sloppier in the long run. One push point to buy the new uniform will be when they earn the Webelos badge. Even then if you dont want to buy the uniform yet, your son can wear the Webelos Badge in Temporary holder until he has the new uniform. In the end, you will have to buy the new uniform for the Bridging Ceremony in Feb. 2006, when the boys bridge to Boy Scouts.

Again, right, wrong, or indifferent, thats what I told my parents.

(This message has been edited by fotoscout)

An absolutely reasonable approach, foto.

I don't think many parents understand that they can purchase additional rank badges. My son just started Webelos. He needed new pants, so we when ahead with the "tan/olive" (we cool, acco?) uniform. I bought a full set of Cub rank badges to go with it. Our Scout shop sells a diamond shaped plastic holder which we are using. I know the holder isn't official (and the national Scout shops won't sell them), but I'm not taking the chance of wrecking the tan shirt for the few months it takes him to earn his Webelos badge. We'll take our chances with the uniform cops.

There is no requirement for Webelos Scouts to wear the tan/olive uniform for a Bridging (or Crossover) ceremony. It may be a good idea, but not a requirement.

For myself, I like the blue uniforms.

Twocubdad - you're cool! I go off the deep end sometimes but if people are going to debate the minutia of Scouting, get the facts straight!

Acco40 you are of course correct. At this point in time Im not going to go thru the macerations of earning the AOL, doing Troop visits, signing the BS application, and ultimately joining the Troop. If they are bridging they will be going to a Troop, and theyll need a BS uniform.

In the past this wasn't an issue, but now if you go strickly by the book, the boys will be in the Tan uniform before they bridge. I have to think of it as one more step in the transition process. Perhaps if they wear the Tan uniform earlier, they will think of themselves as BS earlier.

foto