Requiring Troop to wear uniforms

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catching on to this topic kinda late but, thanks Bob you helped clear some items up for me. What I would like to ask the board is it's NOT a requirment for the uniform but I know I read somewhere that for a BOR

" a scout had to be properly dressed" Now I'm interpeting that as full class A

Can a BOR be postponned say if a scout is wearing jeans? And that the CO has not implementated such a policy of complete uniforms

Thanks hops, in this case, the scout WAS wearing the uniform at the time. He was put on probation for not showing proper scout spirit. His failure there was in the way he wore the uniform in the year preceeding his conference... specifically he wears it about 50% of the time and usually needed to be reminded to tuck it in.

Our SM has repeatedly told the boys (and the committee) that if a boy doesn't wear the uniform, they really don't belong in the troop and should go down the street to the Boys and Girls Club. He has also said that if they don't follow his direction regarding wearing the uniform they are willfully disrespecting his authority. Personally, I think some of the boys "forget" to wear their uniform as sort of a silent rebellion.

Obviously, we have some issues to resolve, but I don't believe they can all be fixed at once. I'd kind of like to address this specific issue since it seems to be having the biggest negative impact on the boys. And I am really hoping to fully understand the policies to boost my own confidence before confronting him. He can be very intimidating and tends to yell (very loudly) at anyone who doesn't agree with him and "support" his decisions.

• 2 months later...

Our troop has gone through different phases on wearing uniforms and we have send some scouts home because they were not or did not attempt to wear their uniform correctly. In our case, money is not an issue and the scouts who dont wear their complete uniform are just lazy or dont care (part of a parent problem). If the uniform issues is due to their parents(s), we dont push the uniform issue at the scout since its not his fault.

We do however bring the uniform issue up to those scouts who just choose to be lazy when it comes to their BOR and SM conference. The uniform category usually falls under scout spirit. Depending on the situation, we may hold up their advancement.

Comments?

Thanks

rsg

We set expectations with the parents up front that they will buy a uniform. Usually, this means buying pants and shorts. I haven't had any grumble yet. You're talking about a cost of about $40 a year (or $10 if you shop on eBay). For most of us in the good-ole US of A, that's not a big deal. Or, it shouldn't be.

And, if the problem is with the boy's attitude toward the uniform, then you are correct about the scout spirit issue. I had a boy back-talk me about wearing a uniform on a recent trip. He was coming up for a SM conference the following week. I asked him if he could think of anything recently that he did that did not live up to the scout oath and law. He mentioned the incident. I went ahead and approved him (2nd class). But, if it happens again, we'll have another talk.

• 3 years later...

I as SM expect my boys to have full uniform, necker, shirt tucked, patches all on. But like anything else, what I get and what I expect seem to be two different things. I do however, take in to consideration how hard a boy tries to comply with the rules of scouting and uniforming. Sometimes the necker is forgotten, shirt is in the wash, etc. but for the most part my boys all wear the full uniform.

Stosh

Kind of funny how its such a problem for some parents to have their son in uniform. My grandfather was kicked out of Scouts because he did not have a uniform (which he could not afford).

As for my troop we used to come in full uniform (minus the sash) to meetings. But then our new scoutmaster allowed uls to come in our activity t-shirts. Somehow people translated that into "come in whatever you want." Now, even though we held a vote to lay down guidelines in which we would wear our activity uniform (overwhelming majority) its still hard to get everyone to comply, even those who voted for it.

For Pete - no reference to this as to the new uniform for me.

We will allow the wearing of existing uniform and have asked parents to buy the new uniform as the old one - becomes unwearable due to age, wear or size and in the case of simply buying new/additional pieces.

The fact that the Troop will be mix and match is of less importance to me than that they all wear uniform parts. In this area I still haven't ever seen a full and correctly uniformed Troop or Patrol. Would I like to see it, sure, even hopefully starting with my Troop but until I can buy for everyone AND can enforce the wearing of same - well it just isn't likely.

Now we do look uniform in that everyone will wear the Field shirt with jeans on occasion, but then even the Scoutmaster is not looking like everyone else since I wear my Switchbacks (almost) without exception.

I'm confused!!!!! If I'm to believe as some have stated that the uniform is an optional item in the scouting program, then how do you explain why it is needed, by the BSA, to be part of a national or world jamboree contingent?(This message has been edited by Eagletrek)

You don't have to have a uniform to be a scout, but to attend various functions is may be required, and that is because it is the scouts option to go. No one is required to go on the activities where a uniform is required.

I know it doesnt sound logical at first but the reasoning is the BSA would not want a youth who wants to be a member of a program to be shut out of that program because the uniform was an issue.

The above is providing all membership requirements were met of course

No it doesn't sound logical at all. When I was a kid, the scout uniform was required for most activities: weekend camping, camporees, summer camp, scout retreats, jamborees, and yes, even troop meetings. That was the standard and my parents and I saw no problem with that. In fact, my first uniform was a hand-me-down from my cousin but it was a complete uniform.

As I've been away from Boy Scouting for awhile, can someone tell me when blue jeans were allowed to be worn as part of the uniform?

Jeans, or their equivalent for the period in history; always technically. As already noted, uniforming is not an absolute, at least on paper. Some troops have very specific policies, but it is not required; and partial uniforms have generally been considered as better than none at all. Many old photos will show all kinds of mis-matched attire, especially in the depression, but very few larger group photos from the early days have 100% uniforming.