• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my copy of Follow Me Boys from thesongofthesouth.com yesterday. Although it looks like a new tape, the artwork on the box makes it look like it may be less than an original release.

When I ordered it, I never even gave a thought to the fact it might not be a legitimate tape. Puts me in a real quandry: I preach all the time, especially to my own boys and to scouts, that Copyright infringement is not only illegal, but truly is wrong. Although I am going to try to determine through thesongofthesouth.com if this is a legitimate tape or not, and if it's not, if they'll take it back, I certainly will not play it. Looks like I might have thrown away $30.00. It really ticks me off that I never though about this!!

Mark

Instead of contacting thesongofthesouth.com, I put the tape in the VCR. Watched the first 10 minutes. The quality was much worse the any knock off Rolex watch I ever saw.

For anyone who cares, my opinion is that the tape I received is pirated. Unless someone can convince me that it is not, I won't be watching the rest of it. Which is sad. The first 10 minutes had me fondly remembering seeing this movie when I was in grammer school.

Mark

• 2 months later...

What a great movie, I remember it and will order it as well. But I am very suprised by the opinions of people here as to why Disney will not re-release this movie. Don't people pay attention? My point in other threads, but IF you remember three years ago, I know, a big request. Disney approved full equal benefits including health insurance and co-profit sharing status to gays who work for Disney, Inc.

I,m not against the move by Disney, but, how does anyone think that a corporate team like this one at Disney who supports equal rights for gays would ever re-release a film that supports the prime opponent if its opposition?

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to let everyone know that a theater in SLC, UT is having a special showing of this film on April 16, 2003. I am not sure if it is through the Council or not. If theaters are showing it, might this be coming to the open market soon?

I wonder exactly what it is the theater in SLC is going to show. Could they have the original celluloid film in cans after all these years? If not, that leaves an original copy of the VHS tape, since it hasn't been released digitally...

KS

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say why Disney won't release Follow Me Boys again but I can say why original copies are so expensive. There are a lot of people that collect original Disney movies. As with any collectable if it is all original including the packaging and few copies are still around it commands a higher price. While I do not collect Disney movies I did want a copy of Follow Me Boys and purchased one off EBAY for $75. You can find one on EBAY for less if catch one that was a rental and does not have the original clam shell case.

OILMAN02

Just wanted to let everyone know how the movie was last night. It was great. There were over 600 people in attendance. This was not a VHS or old real copy; Disney actually created a new copy for this advent. It showed perfectly.

I am (as a working writer) not one to take copyright lightly, and would never urge anyone to support video piracy. . .

BUT:

Disney is far from being the wronged innocent here. They have ruthlessly pushed (on more than one occasion, if memory serves) to have copyright law rewritten so that valuable Disney properties (e.g. Mickey Mouse) that *would* have passed into the public domain in the 1990s or early 2000s remain under copyright. I don't object if they want to manipulate the market by (say) creating an artificial scarcity of _Bambi_ tapes by releasing it for three years and then pulling it for ten . . . but it mightily annoys me that they (and their fans in Congress) are willing to rearrange the law for the same purpose.