HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

Can anyone help me find a copy of 'Follow me Boys'? E-bay had a copy but wow $75.00 was way too steep for me.

Thomas Heavey from Tacoma Wa. posted on 'Embers' 4/25/01 that his local cable network will be showing 'Follow me Boys' on the Disney Channel 2 am PST.

This movie prompted me and others to join the Scouts. I hope it is as good as

I remember. If not don't tell me.

Popcorn anyone.

Uncle Bob

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also love Follow Me Boys, I got a copy off Ebay at an outrageous price. It is listed as Out Of Print (OOP) by Disney which consistently says it has no plans to release it. I would think the movie would be a natural to sell in the Scout Shops with some proceed going to the council that sells it.

I showed my copy on a bus trip, the kids where almost comatose, but the adults thoroughly enjoyed it. It is pure Disney, with a little town, no little girls ever seen and just boys being boys. I reccommend it for not just the scouting values, but also for a snapshot of innocence long since gone.

Lillian Gish, Charles Ruggles, Vera Miles and of course Fred McMurray as the scoutmaster.

Included is a prepubescent Kurt Russell, I told the boys to think of it as Snake Pliskin's childhood.

The boys professed to have hated it, but somehow, the phrase "follow me boys" has crept into our troops lexicon.

Disney does show it latenight, so keep an eye on the listings and keep you recording devices handy.

I was lucky enough to have been able to copy this off the TV. I enjoyed this back then as a Scout and enjoy it still. I think this would make a great addition to adult leader training. Lem seems to be the Scoutmaster we would like to be. Now if my cousin would return my copy...

I wonder if 'Snake' learned any of his skills at summer camp...

Have a great day gentlemen.

I never knew the name of this wonderful movie, and have never seen the start. However I think every adult scouter should watch it. So many of the issues it dealt with are just as applicable today, and may be an excellant way to discuss how to deal with issues in your own troop.

Thank you so much for bringing this movie back to mind.

BTW - if anyone does hear of it being released on video, please let me know!

God bless all,

Paul Johnson

• 2 months later...

I had a conversation with a Disney Representative about this, and they have no plans to ever re-release this film at this point. Even if they should decide to add it to the release list, it would be several years down the line. So that being said,,,, Anyone want to let me make a copy of theirs for personal use?

Dsanner106@aol.com

• 11 months later...

This is speculation, but people are probably buying from the Song of the South site and selling on Ebay with a 200% markup. Try to stay away from the gougers. By the way, even when kids don't appear to be interested in something, they can be undetectably paying attention. Kind of like Church. Show the movie anyway. To make it fun, prepare a list of questions that they can answer about the movie while they watch. The most correct answers gets a prize!

Doug

Just curious? Since Disney has the film out of print and has no plans of re-releasing it in the near future, where does Song of the South gets it's videos? Are tehy pirating the video and seeling it because there is a market for it? Their site does not address whether the videos are liscensed or not. It does make reference to the tapes being in new boxes with laser art.

Since Disney has the film out of print and has no plans of re- releasing it in the near future, where does Song of the South

gets it's videos? Are tehy pirating the video and seeling it

because there is a market for it? Their site does not address

whether the videos are liscensed or not. It does make reference

to the tapes being in new boxes with laser art.

I will find out soon enough. I ordered it and will let everyone know.

To all have a Happy Xmass and Merry New Year. :)

I just ordered a copy, too. I think this was the second movie I ever saw at a theater (Sword and the Stone was first) when I was about four or five. I'm looking forward to watching it with my two cubs.

It appears that these people are buying the videos in Europe and Asia (apparently it's PC over there), reformatting them in to US video standards, then selling them with the original packaging. Sounds like gray market, but Disney's getting their cut up front, so the heck with them.`

I'm next...check will be in the mail as soon as I can get to the post office. As an aside, there's no pirate copies coming from Asia, 'cuz I've checked everywhere with no luck!

The obvious demand for FMB, and the prices people are willing to pay on E-Bay makes me wonder what the Disney marketing people are thinking by not releasing it. After all, the production costs to re-release a movie are negligible, and materials cost about a quarter. Could it be that Scouting is so non-PC among the Hollywood elite that releasing FMB would appear to be a corporate endoresement of what we stand for? Just wondering...

KS