Young American Award

@PeterHopkins, welcome to the forums!

I've always found the Insignia Guide to be a much better read if we interpret it as encouraging scouts and scouters to pursue new achievements, rather than discouraging them from wearing a vintage insignia that they may tell an interesting story.

So, if this year someone from council issues a vintage knot to recognize some youth, I certainly would not consider the youth to be out of uniform if the knot was neatly sewn over his left pocket. (The IG does define how knots are to be arrayed so as to produce a neat appearance.)

In general, I hope that councils do due diligence in explaining to the youth when they are awarding a knot out of their vintage collection, and tell him what equivalent knot (if any) could be purchased from the scout-shop if he/she wanted to stay current.

I love it when ancient threads percolate their way up the food chain...

The Young American Award sounds like a very interesting program, though I imagine it's of limited interest to most scouts and scouters because it's for ages 19-25, and most scouts I know, disengage by that age and move on to college, military and other endeavors.

I find it interesting that national discontinued making these awards, but that councils can continue their Young American Award programs.  

Do very many councils do so?