Wearing of older Jamboree Patches

I attended the 1973 National Jamboree in PA as a 15 year old scout. I am now 46 and a Asst Scoutmaster..I was a Webelos Leader with my son and we both have crossed over to Boy scouting. My son is 11..I was away from scouting for along time..The question I have is that the Uniform Guide states, "The jamboree emblem is worn over the right pocket by Boy Scouts/Ventures/Scouters who were registered to attend or attended the jamboree as a registered participant or staff member." This is from the Official BSA Uniform Guide..The website www.scoutmaster.org states, "That once earned, the jamboree emblem can be worn for a indefinte amount of time or until you participate in the next jamboree.." Talking of the 2001 National Jamboree Emblem. There are 2 ways of thinking here..I was a participant as a 15 year old scout but now I am a adult scouter..and should not wear the emblem..There are only a few awards that Scouters can wear as adults that they earned as Boy Scouts..The other way of thinking is like the scoutmaster.org states..That the National Jamboree patch earned either as a Boy Scout/Venturer/or Scouter can be worn until you participate in the next Jamboree..The uniform Guide is vague and scoutmaster.org is more detailed but the website is not Official and is only a guide..I know this may not appear to be a problem for I did earn it as a Boy Scout, but now I am a adult Scouter and it has brought up some dicussions and disagrements..For if we as adults are to enforce uniform regs for our younger scouts to follow,,than we cannot wear emblems or awards or anything that we should or cannot wear or wear what we should wear incorrectly..My thoughts are that BSA does not want a 15-17 year old scout to wear the Jamboree patch or World Jamboree Emblem, for most a once in lifetime event, only to have that scout remove said emblem when the scout turns 18..I went ahead and put my National Jamboree Emblem on my uniform and am proud that I attended and still have fond memories..Any thoughts or suggestions or Policy or has this come up before..

Thank you for anything you can provide me.

sam

I've never been to the national jamboree yet I proudly (and correctly) wear my Jamboree patch. Remember, if you were or are registered to attend, you may wear the patch. That is the reason you may see many individuals wearing the 2005 Jambo patch on their uniform now even though none have attended the 2005 Jamboree.

East or West? I was at Moraine, subcamp 3, I think, down the hill from the big trading post.

I have my 73 jambo patch on a couple of my uniforms. Being a Cub leader, boys often ask me what all the patches represent. It is a good opportunity to tell them about the things I did as a Scout and to talk to them about all the things in store for them.

I went to Moraine, PA..I was in troop912 from Fort Lee Va..I am not sure what part of camp but i still remember playing the Friendship game where you had a colored letter and you tried to find other scouts from different parts of the country and world to spell out FRIENDSHIP. You Then had the scouts sign the back of your card..Than you all stayed together while you find other scouts with the letters you needed...I also liked the colorful patch..And I am wearing it proudly and correctly..I remember Danny Thomas on opening night.It was great..

But as you read the BSA Uniform Guide it says Boy Scout/Venturer/Scouter as a registered participant..I am now a Scouter and did not go as a Adult Scouter..I know this is cutting hairs. I agree with the postings that it is a Emblem/Patch and is not an Award..and if you went as a Boy Scout or Venturer then you can still wear it as a adult Scouter..and I am..But there are a few that have raised the question for there is a difference between a participating as a Boy Scout and participating as a Adult Scouter and it is a matter of interpretation of the Guide..I wish BSA or Scouting Magazine would put out something official instead of 1 paragraph in the Uniform Guide. Esp since the 2005 Jamboree is coming up as well as the 2010 National and World Jamboree and 100 years of Scouting..Thanks

Sam

sam

I proudly wear my 77 Jamboreee patch on my uniform and wear it with pride. You should continue to wear it and not worry about other people splitting hairs.

As for memories I have many from that week. But I think it should be "More Rain" state park. It seems it did nothing but rain in 77.

cmf

"But there are a few that have raised the question for there is a difference between a participating as a Boy Scout and participating as a Adult Scouter ..."

There is nothing in the Insignia Guide that says you cannot wear that patch. There is nothing that makes any distinction between a adult and youth participant. If somebody is chiding you about this, ask them to show you the written reference supporting their position. There is none and that should end the discussion.

No it did not...My mom had put the patch from my uniform in a drawer and I had 2 brand new patches in the sealed plastic they came in..So I do not know about them drying out or fading...Sorry I was not much help..sam

To acco40

"I've never been to a National Jamboree, yet I proudly (and correctly) wear my Jamboree patch."

How do you wear it proudly and correctly for you said you have never been to a National Jamboree..For even visitors to the National Jamboree only can wear the Patch as a Temp Patch on the right pocket..For only registered participants can wear the National Jamboree patch ABOVE the right pocket.

Did you misspoke yourself..or were you mistaken..Just checking..

Sam