Uniform - spun thread

Just returnd from Philmont and against the wishes of the staff who continuously warn us "out of control volunteers" not to quote what they hear as gospel at Philmont ....

A question and answer session was held as professionals from the national council were cordial enough to take questions from the volunteers at the PTC that week. One question concerning uniforms came up. Paraphrasing, "Why do so many official BSA publications depict Scouts and Scouters incorrectly wearing the various BSA uniforms? For example, wearing the shirt with the top button buttoned up." At first the professional tried to answer the question by explaining when to wear the field uniform and when to wear the activity uniform. After a clarification was made, he finally answered simply that mistakes are made. Another professional from the national council went on to share a story. The artist who has been commissioned to paint various BSA posters (I forgot his name and no, it is not Norman Rockwell Jr.) is currently commissioned to show an Eagle Court of Honor scene. His painting displayed an Eagle Scout wearing his OA sash around his chest and he has his merit badge neatly folded over his belt. Upon review, the artist was told that 1) an OA sash should not be worn at a Eagle COH (not an OA event) and 2) a MB sash should never be worn folded over one's belt. The artist stated that he had seen just that at the many Eagle COHs he observed. Too bad was the response. The artist is now in the process of "editing" his painting to include only the MB sash worn properly. National also suggested that the artist make sure that the MBs shown on the sash be such that they qualify the Scout for the Eagle rank. I was glad to hear the the BSA wanted to "get it right."

On a different note, the question of what training is required of a Scoutmaster to take the Socuts on an outing was asked. The correct answer - none. So, while a Cub Scout leader (BALOO), Webelos Leader (OWL or equivalent), and Venture leader must have specific training before taking Scouts on an outing, a Scoutmaster needs none. It was pointed out that yes, while one of the adults needs youth protection training, it does not necessarily have to be the SM or SAs. Interesting!

What training does a Venture leader need in order to take his unit on an outing?

Also if I am correct, Baloo is only needed for pack camping (overnight) and a Webelos leader is not required to have the overnight training to take the Webols den on their overnights. Overnights though for other dens are not allowed. Dens leaders may take their den on day outings without any training.

I went to the National Museum this weekend for the first time and loved it.

Acco40,

The other artist that was featured besides Rockwell was Joseph Csatari. The web site for the museum also lists Remington Schuyler but I don't recall seeing any of his on display.

Csatari's work, although not as nostalgic as Rockwells of course, was very inpressive.

Just thought I'd add this side note in.

It is interesting to note that artists generally enjoy painting what they consider to be their reflection of life or life as they see it. Norman Rockwell ran into this several times when he painted and was later instructed by James West and others to fix it and make it correct.

A picture sometimes is best when it reflects life as we not only observe it but are attached to it through our emotions. This means that the mistakes we make as people are more important than the simple demonstration of the correct method of wearing a uniform. Am I against wearing the uniform correctly? No.

I am saying that learning how to wear the uniform is a growth process (*a method of Scouting). I have an emotional response when a Scout has glued his patches on in the wrong places. It is both funny and sad. I know that several small training sessions are now in order to help him become uniformed properly. It will take time but it is in those moments that capture my heart and it is how I remember the best of times. If I could just get it on canvas...

FB