Displaying patches and awards

Thought I would throw this out to really tick off a few of the other forum members (FOG-are you ready).

When I took over as cubmaster, I found several of the cubs wearing their temporary patches on the back of the uniform shirts!! My head nearly exploded. So I asked the Moms why did they sew them there. They answered that the girl scouts wear them on the back of their vests so they thought the boys could wear them on the back of the shirts. I guess the deer in the headlights look I gave them was enough for them and they took the patches off.

Did anyone else run across this or is this just proof that their is something wrong with the water in our town??? ...---...

According to the insignia guide, it is "legal" to wear temporary patches on the back of the MB sash. Nothing is permitted to be added to the OA sash. My temp patches are in shoe boxes in the closet, and when I die, my sons will probably sell them for 5 bucks at the yard sale, since they mean nothing to anyone but me. I wear one temp patch on my uniform shirt...a 1966 patch from our council camp...the first year I attended. I do have a red wool jac-shirt with my 50 miler patch on the right pocket, but that's it. The darn thing keeps shrinking, though!

Why not take all of the patches, both temporary and progress awards and sew them together into a rug for the front of your tent. I haven't seen this done yet but I am sure it would make for a good conversation piece.

I got this out of a Martha Stewart book.

FB(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

I've been thinking of getting a mil-surp wool blanket from Sportsmans' Guide (www.sportsmansguide.com) and doing a bit of tailoring to it to make it into a cape. The idea is to sew all of my excess patches onto the cape and wear it on chilly campouts.

So far, it is just an idea.

Sears has, now on sale, a large (red or yellow) rolling tool box for those of us that enjoy fixing up the old jalopy. How about hot gluing those old patches to the top and back of the 15 drawer cabinet with the die cast rollers. It might draw some of the neighbors to the garage or shade tree to talk about Scouting while we are underneath working on the gizmo.

idea taken from Mechanic's Illustrated, June 1983, Gene Rodenbury author.

I just saw this and thought it might make a great display.

FB

I believe it is decorative license plates. She has a section on dressing for dinner and sprucing up those old stripped PJ's to make a real showing. I also heard that she is going to adapt one of her last lawn furniture books for certain kinds of metal framed furniture found around the old cell block. These are but a few of the many ideas and sporty new looks that will be coming to us in the near future. We eagerly await!