BSA Beret Source

These have been out of production for close to 30 years now. I know of no other source other than eBay, thrift stores, estate sales and collectors. Unless you are with a Venture Crew, you can't wear them with the current uniform anyway.

"Unless you are with a Venture Crew, you can't wear them with the current uniform anyway."

I agree with the statement, but if they are building a replica uniform from that time period they can wear them.

Also, I thought the troop had the right to create their own headwear.. Maybe I misunderstood that discussion.

I believe the "policy" is that the Troop can vote to wear any of the headgear from the current BSA uniform catalog. But it's an all or nothing thing, e.g., everyone in the troop wears the same thing (hence the term "uniform"!). Same with neckerchiefs or bolos.

I think that I have seen them advertised in the pages at the back of one of the Scouting Magazines. But I might not be right.

You could do a Google on head shrinkers, but that sounds as if it might be painful. Also I'm unsure what the BSA policy on head shrinking is. (Joke.)

Eamonn

"Unless you are with a Venture Crew, you can't wear them with the current uniform anyway."

Not true. Any Boy Scout uniform hat/cap may be worn with any Boy Scout uniform.

I'm not sure if I buy into the unformity of headgear rule. If that were really the case then when the ball cap changed last year, everyone would have needed to replace their cap.

I have a campaign hat, two garrison caps (one wool, one cotton), a beret, and now one of the old flat fronted ball caps (ca. 1975). I wear them all at different times.

s-nerd, I've seen many large sized berets on ebay. My problem was that I needed an extra large. I waited for more than a year before one showed up. Be patient.

The beret price on Scoutstuff.net is a bit high, IMHO. I paid a bit more than $20 for my extra-large beret on ebay. When I was trying to get my extra large beret, I saw many large sized berets going for about $10.

They are out there, just be patient.

You might want to set up some search parameters on ebay and then have ebay send you new emails when new items become available. Unfortunately, people don't describe things very well. I've seen berets listed at "baray," "bearay," "barrets," and "old red wool hat."