Losing Service Stars, hat pins, etc.?

I have lost Service Stars, hat pins, etc. in the past because those little clasp things popped off the pins. I found a little device that may be helpful if anyone is interested. The S.P. Grip can be found at the address below. A nifty solution to the more mundane uniform problems!

http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/c-12-p-253-id-12.html

S.P. Grip Pinback Made of chrome plated brass the S.P. Grip locking pinback locks to the back of your collectable pin with an allen set screw assuring lockability. 12 pinbacks per package (wrench included). Made in the USA. Sku: Price: SPG01 $5.99

Thanks. I've never seen these before but they look promising, especially for hat pins. I've long replaced the regular clutch backs with something that the uniform shop called "jewler's back" which look like the back of a tie tack. Much more secure than the original back. Unfortunately, my supply of them is drying up.

• 2 months later...

Those setscrew pinbacks look pretty solid, although perhaps uncomfortable for wearing on shirts for items like nametags and service stars. There is another alternative. Some of the new souvenir pins are supplied with a soft plastic injection-molded pinback that seems to rely more on adhesion than the mechanical holding force of the old brass pinbacks.

Unfortunately, I have not yet found a source for these newer plastic pinbacks. I have used the tie-tack holders also. While better than the cheap brass pinbacks, they also can slip off. This is because they are usually made for the longer tie-tack pins that must pierce several thick layers of tie.

For hat pins, those setscrew units look really reliable and at roughly $.50 per each would be well worth the money to protect a valuable or prized collectable pin. The only problem could be with all that weight in your hat (if you have a lot of pins) you might become top-heavy!