Sewing, glue and laziness

There is a new product called Badge Magic that is a peel and stick adhesive for attaching Scout badges. It is cut into the shapes of the badges and survives many wash cycles. It can be removed with a solvent like WD-40. I have tried it and it really works as advertised! They have a web site www.badgemagic.com. It saved me hours of grief!

The Scout store in Seattle told me they (Badge Magic)have tested Badge Magic for over 40 wash cycles on all 4 uniform materials and not one badge fell off. I haven't had any trouble. They do say in their instructions to put the uniform in the dryer for 10 minutes (before the first washing)to let the adhesive set into the cloth.

We have always used Badge Bond for merit badges (because you generally don't have to wash the sash), but have sewn rank advancement in place. I have been known to use hot glue if we forgot to sew new rank advancement in place and realized it only minutes before we were to walk out the door. Badge Magic sounds great, but now I'm down my last boy in scouts, and he only has one more rank advancement to go. Obviously, that last one isn't changing. Wish I'd known about it 10 years ago...

• 4 weeks later...