New Class A/"Field" Uniforms?

I was just chilling with an older scout (camper) up on the COPE course this week when he started complaining about his council (one of the NY state councils).

He says that they are goin to a new A for the jambo next year, and he was complaining about how he was gonna be required to buy the new uniforms by next year.

Is national going to a new A soon? if so, are there pics of it anywhere?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Fat Old Guy, you wouldn't happen to have been an ASM with Jambo Troop 439 last time around, would you?

My conversation left me with very little information ("it's yellow" and "it looks gay" were the only concrete descriptions) but it did not seem like he could have been refering to the current uniform. The scout in question had worked at his council camp for a few seasons, so presumably he would already have (multiple) class A's from that gig.

I have heard rumors of a new field uniform for 2 years now. Remember, though... The BSA uniform is acceptable in any form. Some of the oldtimers wear the dark green from the 60's. (Just don't mix and match the styles, my advice only).

A DE told me that he's been hearing a lot of noise about a new field uniform coming after Jambo. One rumor is that the new uniform will be unveiled there. It would seem to make more sense (and cost less money) to make the new uniform be the Jambo uniform.

What is a Jambo uniform? Its not any different than the present uniform except it is all tricked out with jamboree patches, troop number, patrol etc, is it? Or are you talking about an activity uniform for the jamboree?

Its not any different than the present uniform except it is all tricked out with jamboree patches, troop number, patrol etc, is it?

That's my understanding.  Current field uniform, with Jambo troop #, patches, etc.  From what I understand, participants are encouraged to purchase a new uniform for the Jamboree.  Many then convert them to their regular uniform after the event.

If a new uniform is forthcoming, it would seem to be less expensive on participants to have them buy the new uniform.  But that may be too logical.

For Gods sake, make them stop.

If there is any truth to this then we are doomed. There are enough people complaining about the tan/green uniform (which really don't bother me), so what's next; a "new" new uniform??? I don't remember being asked what I like, or for that fact, anyone in my council, or the neighboring council, being asked?

If they changed the field uniform again, I will just continue to wear my old OD's and the current tan/green. I hope everyone does the same.

Please, just leave well enough alone.

...---...

If we come out with a new uniform, people are really gonna think we are in the US military. First the Marines get the digital camo, now the Air Force is looking at Blue Tiger Stripes among other things, and the Army just introduced a new camo that is supposed to work in all enviroments.

"If it aint broke, dont fix it"

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Who says it ain't broke? You'll get as many answers as there are scouts and scouters. The colors are not broken. The quality and cut are in my opinion. The pants could be a little more roomier and have functional cargo pockets. The shirt needs an honest to God collar instead of that floppy piece of fabric they have. I wouldn't mind reversing the colors to tan pants and olive shirt. I think the boys might come closer to wearing a khaki pant than an olive pant. Again, my opinion. I'd like to see the uniform made from a fabric that repels stains, dries quickly and wicks moisture away from the body. All of these innovations are out in the market for half the cost of the scout uniform pieces. It could be done.

I think each council will have their own requirments for Jamboree. My son and I will be going with our contingent. Our requirements are three full uniforms. We will be there 10 days and we won't be doing laundry to my knowledge. Therefore, you need enough uniforms to switch out and stay clean. No talk of a "new" uniform here. The only difference will be the Jambo patches that replace our normal patches.