tattos and percings

Ok I must be confused. How can a CO regulate what shoes I wear to scouts, or which backpack I use? Can it also decide my hair style, or color? What about which pocket knife, or hiking staff? How about making a certain brand of tent "legal" and others not supported?

I could go on, but I think you get my drift... How then can they say whether I have tats or piercings? If asked I would think we could all share our opinions about this topic with the youth we work with, but as for enforcement of those opinions, I really do believe we can't, so why try? Besides we've all seen youth make good choices after discussing things with us, why don't you think they would do that again in this case?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh those wacky CO's. they hold most of the power in the BSA and only a fraction actually know it, (IMHO)

Anyway, there is a lot of talk about teaching responsibility and facing consequences of your actions. A tatto or a piercing is as perfect example as any. I support a persons right to get a legal tattoo or piercing anywhere they want (sic) I also support my right to say, what the heck are you thinking

when you have a gauge in your ear the size of a Titantic porthole. While at Camp School I met a great guy who happened to have red and orange flames on both forearms wrist to elbows and a little beyond. Took a little getting used to, but after awhile, I didnt notice it. I do wonder if in an interview I would have the same opportunity to overcome my revulsion as I did during the week. So, go on, pierce and tattoo all you want, dont be afraid to show off who you are, but realize, there may be people you will want to impress who may be afraid of who you present yourself to be.

BTW, one mans self-mutilation is another mans self enhancement, n'cest pas?

Oh Morticia (OGE), you spoke French!

But it's still self-mutilation whether viewed positively or negatively. The range is already quite large...and tattoos and piercings are down on the scale when compared to the cutting and removal of parts that some cultures think is necessary. Nevertheless, a piecing requires inserting a foreign object through part of our body leaving a semi-permanent hole that is maintained by keeping a foreign object in the resultant hole. Tattooing employs a needle (that is often shared by many persons) as an instrument to insert colored dirt into a permanent position in the skin. An ear ring may be minor compared to FGM but they are both still part of a single continuum of mutilation. The question that BSA evidently does not address is where the OK line is drawn. I feel clear about the answer for the extremes but I too am undecided about the position of the line.

Mutilation is such a negative word. It means damage, injury or maiming. African tribes have women that adorn their lips by inserting wooden rings and think this the height of beauty. Others purposefully create scars on the skin that keloid (a scar that does not stop growing) for the same reason. Those that pierce or tattoo do not consider this to be mutilation at all.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

One man's cult is another man's religion.

One man's mutilation...

>>HOWEVER, neither tattoos or piercings are a big enough issue for me to make a problem for a boy over. For those in my sphere of influence, I attempt to explain (sometimes often) that there isn't enough value in such ornamentation to make it worth the hassle, but if I can't be successful convincing him, it's a dead issue. It's not my place to allow metal or ink displayed in what I consider a silly manner to effect how I treat a boy.

scoutldr:

I really don't know. The discussion was about tattoos, not dietary laws. It was only meant as a point of reference about tattoos. I personally am not bound by any dietary laws thanks to St. Peter's vision of the large canvas filled with all good things to eat, some of which were previously considered "unclean". I know of no New Testament reference for, or against tattoos.

The current trend of demonic and gothic tattoos do not convet a very positive message. Perhaps a good old fashioned heart shaped tattoo with "Mother" etched in the flesh would be a little more kosher!

Packsaddle says:

The question that BSA evidently does not address is where the OK line is drawn.

But I think that's perfectly fine in this case. The BSA leaves the line to be drawn on the local level where local attitudes, and attitudes between one CO and another even in the same town, may differ. I wish they would allow local line-drawing on at least one other issue also. :)

And the discussion about Leviticus reminded me of something. There are, concentrated in the state of New York and scattered throughout the country, troops chartered to Orthodox Jewish organizations, some of which are either exclusively Orthodox Jewish or so overwhelmingly so that they could be considered "Orthodox Jewish troops." It's probably safe to say that you would not see a leader or Scout in one of those troops with a tatoo.

• 2 months later...

As an Eagle Scoutand CubMaster and Assistant Scoutmaster, I have too say that I see nothing wrong with tattoos. If it were'nt for tattoos, I would not be back in Scouting today.

I had been out of Scouting for about 15 years. I started getting tattoos and ended up marrying my tattoo artists sister, whom had boys in Scouts.

I see nothing wrong with tats, if they are vulgar, by all means cover up, there is a time and place for everything .

My tattoos are all Native American, they can be covered if I choose to do so.They are also part of my heritage. I am the guy you see at camp with a ponytail too my waist and a big bushy beard.

Yours In Scouting,

Jaybird

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone who chooses to participate in the scouting program (for the right reasons) really shouldn't be judged for their choices in styles. Whether it be hair, tats, piercings, jewelry, clothing, etc; as long as it is safe and not vulgar or offensive it should not be more important than their charactor, contributions, or willingness to learn. Respect doesn't always lead to conformance either, sometimes it just fosters tolerance which is just as important.

I think the bottom line here is that what is going on inside is way more important than the outside of a person.