What? No Pants or Socks?

We wonder why we see scouts without the uniform pants or socks. I recently went to purchase my son a new uniform. He just graduated from Tigers. The lady at the scout shop stated wolfs only wear the belt up. I stated I wanted the complete official uniform. She stated she heard of a couple of packs trying to start that tradition. When I asked again for the pants, she said she would have to order them since they did not stock them. Since there is a council scout near my office I told her no thanks I will obtain them elsewhere.

So I go to the scout shop and they do have the pants, great. Then I ask for the socks. The scout shop lady responded, we do not carry the socks no one wears them. I then asked for shorts, again same answer.

(This message has been edited by Balding Eagle)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why there is a catalog. Scout shops cannot carry every item, so they choose. Call (800) 323-0732 and you can get everything in every size possible. And they will ship it out to you the same day. I usually get faster service that way than having the shop "special order" what I need.

Kids outgrow their uniforms fast. Start a recycling center for old uniforms in your unit. Call them "broken in" instead of used. The cost of a pair of Scout pants new at the store or catalogue is over $30. Tell your parents to try the thrift stores or military surplus stores if they want them cheaper- they frequently have uniforms.

You are all missing the point. Why would parent purchase or order or obtain an experienced uniform, for when they inquire about purchasing these items they are told no one wears them!

The first lady made it sound as if wearing a complete uniform was a quaint tradition that almost no one follows!

For a bit of clarification, the first place is a hobby shop selling scouting supplies. The second place is a satellite location for a neighboring council. Our council scout shop is very well supplied. However, its over an hours drive each way.

Unfortunately, the sales lady is correct. A lot of Scouts (Cub and Boy) don't wear a complete uniform. That is no excuse for not selling them however.

At summer camp this year, there was ONE single solitary troop that had and wore complete uniforms to dinner. The rest were in shirts or worse. Some had them untucked, some had them unbuttoned and some had them on with basketball shorts. We wouldn't leave our camp until they were tucked and buttoned......with much grumbling.

The one problem with ordering from National is that you can't actually purchase anything from them and have it delivered to you. You place the order and they deliver it to your scout shop where you have to go pick it up and pay for it. At least that is what they did to me.

The first lady made it sound as if wearing a complete uniform was a quaint tradition that almost no one follows!

Sadly, her observation is more true than not.  It would be a great customer service if National Supply Service would have web-enabled ordering with shipping direct to the customer.  The web site will let you generate a "shopping cart" but when it's time to check-out, you are told to print your list and take it to your nearest Scout Shop.  Unfortunately, our Council actively discourages buying from the catalog 800 number, because then they don't get their "cut".  They want all special orders to be placed via the Council Scout Shop.   

Balding Eagle, that is not a problem here -- getting the items, that is. This is true of the 2 scout shops each an hour away, the National Supply Division 15 minutes away, and the hobby store that is authorized to sell BSA uniforms about 30 minutes away. Quite frankly, there is no excuse in this area when it comes to availability. However, many units don't require socks and pants, instead encouraging khakis or jeans with the uniform shirt. This is a surprising practice to me, but I've now seen in many units. It is rare to come across one that has fully uniformed leaders or youth. In fact, the only people I've seen in full uniform are the commissioners and our DE. I am surprised that your scout shop doesn't stock the pants and sorry you ran into that particular problem. My parents placed an order through Scoutstuff.org and requested shipping, but I don't know if it was the council that shipped to them or National. They liked the service, but they thought the shipping was rather high--just an FYI. If you go to Scoutstuff.org, you can do a search by zip code to see if there are other stores that sell BSA that are local to you.(This message has been edited by Laurie)

Laurie no one in our pack wears a full uniform besides the unit commissioner. I am planning on leading by example. I was able to find everything I need, including knee socks, to be fully uniformed.

I will find everything I need for my son to have a complete uniform. There are several places nearby. I was hoping to do so before we went to camping this weekend.

I am not worried about myself but for other parents who will not make the effort especially seeing the example in our pack being reinforced at the stores.

BaldingEagle you are so correct.

I too lead by example and wear complete uniform-including knee socks (and garters with tabs if I am in 1970's style). My son is also in complete cub uniform. However, people just don;t like being told what to wear. For example, our pack has pack tee shirts for activity wear. I told parents not to have the kids wear them to the meetings. They do anyway. Then, they don't even wear the darm t shirts camping!!!

I think they do that to drive me crazy.

Just like I tell them, if you are too cheep to buy blue cub pants (mind you money is no problem for our pack), then at least wear dark blue jeans. Every one owns them right!! Well they still wear orange sweat pants with the scout shirt and a belt wrapped around the waist. I wonder whey the kids don;t know any better . Then I look at the parents. You know, the Dads who go to the kids graduation or first communion wearing a t shirt.

Help me--please, help ...---...

I recently visited a half-uniformed Troop. By closing time, the Troop leader began yelling that they could not have a proper closing unless their shirt was tucked into their jeans, etc. They recited the Scout Law and then he began yelling and made them do it all over after they tucked their shirts.

He was their CC and was fully uniformed, highly decorated, fully trained, wore the WB beads, and was also the District Commissioner.

I was fully baffled, bewildered and bemused and still am.

FB

My Troop only requires the uniform shirt for the Scouts. We also have a Troop neckerchief. We do require full uniform for the adults. And since the BSA doesn't require a uniform at all, each unit can do what they want!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10