Do Patrol Emblems have to be embroidered to be official?

Do you mean, iron it onto the uniform, or iron it onto the patrol medallion?

Forget about rugged enough. the Field Uniform is a dress shirt it is not designed to be rugged.

Other ways to use the iron on transfer would be on for an activity polo, t-shirt or jacket. It also makes good patrol flags.

• 1 month later...

Okay... Been there done that with all kinds of patches. And with fun results.

One patrol used the typical markers mentioned before to draw their design. Worked fine and was certainly unique!

Another time we painted on the design. Used acrylic craft paints from good ol walmart. Those worked fine too. I was surpised they held up in the wash - but they did.

We also have gone the route of the iron-on thing. A design was found (cool funny frog) and done up on the computer.

A bit of experimenting got it to the right size. We printed the correct size and ironed onto the blank patch - which was then sewn on the uniform.

This worked fine after a little trial and error. We found that you need to use just the tip of the iron and apply heat only to the transfer. If you let the iron sit over the edges of the patch too long the threads melt and backing material melt together. But just using the tip worked fine. Just took a bit of diligence. And the iron-ons lasted just fine.. in fact I think DS still has one on a spare shirt (3 years later)

The upside of this was that we were also able to enlarge the design for use on patrol t-shirts. :D

Have fun with it. Afterall part of the pupose of the patch is for the boys to develop an identity to take pride in.

This post reminds me of a laugh we all had in my troop one night. I was the SPL, and held frequent uniform inspections, because our troop was a little slow when it came to wearing the full unifrom.

After patrol elections, the first ever in my troop, my best friend was elected a patrol leader. We used a point system uniform inspection sheet, and the more points the entire patrol had went to earning a bead for thier patrol flag at the end of the month. The most beads would earn the patrol some kind of award; snacks, movie tickets ect...

My best friend though would never sew on his patrol leader patch for many reasons; he was lazy, wasn't crazy about being in scouts in the first place, did not like the responsibility of being a leader ect... His patrol would lose out on a few points every meeting since he would not wear his patch, this lead to one less bead at the end of the month where another patrol would win.

One night, as I was doing a surprise unifrom inspection, I looked at his sleeve from a far and saw his patch on. I was surprised, couldn't believe he finally put it there after so many months. But as he got closer the patch looked a little strange. It was a piece of oak tag paper cut into a circle, with the 2 stripes colored in green marker!

The troop was hysterical the whole night, and I granted his patrol some extra credit points for creativity!

You ask if an Eagle Board would reject or think badly about a boy with a creative patrol patch. As a chair for such a committe here's my two cents worth.

We as a whole are usually the guys that can quote chapter and verse on rules. There is nothing in the guidelines on this topic. So "offically" nothing should happen.

Now as for the question of "Would these scouts be penalized for being creative?" Not at my board, in fact, he would be built up. Even if, the patch was so distorted you could no longer tell what was there other than "something." Scouts is about personal challenge. Scouts is about performance, and about getting outside of your comfort zone. And now you bring a young man to a board that has that for a patrol patch. I'd make a point of letting him know what I think.

Have fun with it, but do the hard thing. Let them figure out how to make it a reality, as best you can.