Poly/Wool uniforms

Ok folks, Its that time of the decade, to shell out the dough for a new boy scout uniform.

I have a choice to make the BSA has given me options in uniforming material, Poly/cotton blend, Cotton, or Poly/Wool. I don't want cotton because of wrinkles, Poly/cotton is good, but want I is Poly/Wool. Does anyone wear a Poly/Wool shirt and pants. Is it worth the little extra, do they hold up as well, are they comfortable? I have heard good things from a few people, but I want your opinions.

Thank you,

Florida Scout(This message has been edited by FloridaScout)

I prefer the poly/wool. They hold a press well -- although you'd better like it when you have it pressed. It stays pressed the way the original presser planned. If you take it to a dry cleaner for the first pressing, specify that you don't want a military press. If you don't you'll end up with a pressed crease down the center of the blouse for the career of it.

They specify dry clean only, but I toss mine in the washer and iron with medium heat. I seem to go through them more quickly than the cotton or the poly/cotton, but the shaper look is worth it. Perhaps dry cleaning would extend the life. I don't know. I've never tried it.

If you want a uniform that looks sharp and feels comfortable under any circumstance, go with the poly/wool. It's definately worth the money.

DS

" If you take it to a dry cleaner for the first pressing, specify that you don't want a military press. If you don't you'll end up with a pressed crease down the center of the blouse for the career of it."

Whatsamatta wid dat? I like the military creases.

In our Troop, one ASM did a military crease in his blouse, and the kids thought it was so cool, almost all of us do it now. We used it as a teaching lesson. A few of the moms complained about doing the extra step, so we taught the boys how to do it themselves. From what I hear, we have about 8 guys now doing their own ironing (at least of their own uniforms).

We've been trying to tactfully let it slip to other moms to quit doing the military crease in their son's uniforms, in order to get the Scout to start ironing himself.

I know the trousers came in a poly / wool blend, but I din't know the shirt did. I may need to investigate...

Mark

Forgive me for asking, what is a military press? I have herd of it but what is it, how would one go about making a military press in a shirt?

Florida Scout

P.S. Yes the shirts come in a Poly/wool. check the leaders section of www.scoutstuff.org, go to uniforms. Near the bottom of the page there is a section for uniform shirts, and click the box that says material.(This message has been edited by FloridaScout)

A military crease or "press" (military press is also a weight lifting method) consists of vertical creases that go through the centers of the pockets in the front. The back has three creases: one in the center, one on either side of the center crease that line up with the ones in front. In a shirt with a yoke, the creases stop at the yoke.

Look at any Marine and you'll see military creases.

BTW, they only add about five minutes to the time that it takes to iron a shirt.

All the shirts I have are poly/cotton, largely because I didn't know to look and just grabbed what ever was on the rack. I have one long sleeve shirt I save for nicer occasions and would have probably gotten it in cotton if I had known the difference.

I've posted before about how much I like the pair of wool pants I have. They are just like a regular pair of men's dress pants -- no elastic bands, flaps or cargo pockets. They seem to be of a more comfortable cut for the over 12-years-old crowd, if you know what I mean. But they are nice pants. I don't wear them on outings, just pack meetings, roundtables and such. I have a pair of the regular pants and a couple pairs of shorts for outdoor stuff.

Ah! I get it. Thursdays the ROTC wear their uniforms at school and I see what you mean.

VenturescoutNY the reason that they are not for youth is the price look at the diffrence but what I don't get is why they don't offer them in Venturing green and grey.

F.S.(This message has been edited by FloridaScout)