I realize that they arent allowed, but I do NOT plan to remove the pins I have. They mean too much to me, sorry.

On one side, flap of collar;), I have a 911 pin that is in the shape of a pentagon with the towers as the 11

On the other side, I have an Air Force pin that I was given at Klondike by a scout from Scott Air Force Base.

Herms, see my above post where I quote the Insignia Guide. It specifically prohibits the wearing of military medals. So I would say pre published BSA material not unverified web rumor it is not authorized for you to wear Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal on your uniform.

Back in the day I earned two NRA medals at summer camp and wore them on my uniform. I also have the West Point patch and neckerchief for that matter ;). I know the neckerchief has camporee on it and if I remember correctly the patch does too.

Ill have to check my old offical BSA red jacket with patches on it *GASP* tonight when I get home.

NWScouter,

I specifically called National on this issue, speaking with the Relationships Division as I have three members of my reserve unit with this "military" medal. I was told the ARE allowed to wear this medal as long as it represents his service to scouts. Additionally, they are also allowed to wear the new Community Organization Award knot, again as long as the medal was awarded for service to Scouting. The result is two are allowed, one is not (received it for his volunteer firefighting work).

My pleasure. The medal has been given by the DOD since 1996. The associated award knot is probably not in the guide yet because it was only recently authorized for other organizations in January 2004. It has been used only for the Daniel Carter Beard Masonic Scouter Award for a few years, but last year other organizations applied for consideration so BSA expanded the award knot to include the other groups like the DOD, Elks, VFW and Legion who have always been big supporters of scouting. When I was talking to the Relationships Division people they said that the Lion's Club has also applied, so you Lion's out there keep your eye out!

• 2 weeks later...