In general rule is, if it is not BSA it cant be worn officially. Even some pins and patches that are BSA issue are not allowed for uniform use (mothers pins, BSA Lifeguard, Mile Swim to name a few). The religious awards are the only ones that come to mind that are not BSA issue that are allowed on the uniform, there may be others. The most often one I seen worn that is not official for the uniform is the NRA shooting medals.

I found this at Mike Walton's web site,

"Someone else wrote me concerning NRA (National Rifle Association) medals. Yes, they can STILL be worn FORMALLY with that same five medal restriction. The NRA used to have a formalized rifle marksmanship program leading to some nice medals for Scouts to wear on the uniform, and the BSA at that time permitted them to be worn. That permission has not went away, because some Councils still use the NRA's program (although they don't like to yell it out very loudly that they do!) as part of their marksmanship program at camp."

Mike may be the only person on Earth who has a better understanding of Scout rules and regulations than Bobo Blanco AND he is never arrogant nor pedantic and he NEVER thumps the book.

If you send him an email, it is likely that he'll send you chapter and verse on the issue. Remember there are many things that are approved that never make it into the book and are written of in double secret memos that only SEs read.

Maybe it's just me, but the "Is it allowed?" juxtaposed against a "9/11 remembrance pin" does not seem in harmony with the aims of Scouting.(Citizenship?)

I would focus more on the fact that the Scout was wearing a uniform shirt and congratualte him (or her, since Ventureres were mentioned also) on that, rather than looking to criticize one "illegal" pin.

(This message has been edited by Marty_Doyle)

VentureScoutNY is asking is it allowed to wear 9-11 pins on Scout uniform. The answer is no unless it is a BSA approved and the only way that a 9-11 remembrance could be worn officially is a temporary patch, CSP or OA Lodge Flap created for some purpose.

Now would someone asks some one to take 9-11 pin off, maybe, maybe not, but according to the rules it should not be worn.

FOG,

I know you think Mike Walton has inside information that no one else seems to have. I just look to what BSA publishes: The general rule is that badges awarded by organization other than the Boy Scouts of America may not be worn on an official uniform. This includes military medals and service ribbons. There are, however, notable exceptions. Among these are religious emblems and those special badges approved by local councils in conjunction with the nation Program Group committee such as Historic Trails medals. p. 3

This makes no mention of the NRA medals and there is no mention of them any were else in Insignia Guide.

"I know you think Mike Walton has inside information that no one else seems to have."

The reality of the situation is that he does and your own example hoists you as if it was a petard. It says that there are exceptions and it says "Among these are . . ." which means that the list is not complete.

You have failed to prove your point.(This message has been edited by Fat Old Guy)

Why does BSA provide the option for temporary patches and not temporary pins?

I have seen patches in the plastic flap that were not officially BSA. For example, one that says West Point NY. That is not a BSA patch but does fit in the plastic flap, and a scout could have bought it at West Point on a Scouting trip. Is that allowed?

along the same lines as the NRA medal, what's the deal with the US Heritage Awards. Our council really pushed them through Webelos Resident camp last year, but looking at the Insignia Guide, there is no mention of the award. My understanding was that the Heritage program has the same standing as the religious emblems. What's the deal?

• 1 month later...

There are all kinds of exceptions out there. For instance, you can wear the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal on your Scout uniform.

I too have been wondering about the US Heritage awards as they are not a BSA award.