Maybe I am getting a little ahead of myself but, when does a Tiger start to wear the blue Cub Scout uniform. My son should earn his Bobcat no later then May. Would he then switch to the blue Cub Scout uniform for the summer activities or wait until September?

Our pack has a crossover ceremony for Tigers in May. The boys wear their new blue shirts under their orange tee-shirt. They cross the bridge and rip off the orange to reveal their Cubbie Blues. They love it.

Best line from a past crossover, a Tiger Dad said "I'm glad to be moving to the tan uniform, I'm tired of looking like a traffic cone!".

I do not think our pack has a crossover ceremony for Tigers.

Anyway from your responses he CAN switch for the summer activities, but does he HAVE TO switch? Can he still wear his Tiger uniform over the summer?

Since he is growing by leaps and bounds Im thinking of waiting as long as possible until making the switch.

Don't encourage them to buy it too big. I see too many parents buy a kid that should be in a Youth Small and Adult Small so "he can grow into it." The poor kid swims in it.

Encourage them to buy one size large and swap shirts with someone else when their kids outgrows his.

I thought Tigers remained Tigers and continued to wear the Orange t-shirt until the end of first grade or the Pack's bridging ceremony where everybody is moved up to their next rank. Earning Bobcat isn't the same as bridging over because Wolf is the rank for 2nd graders, whereas Bobcat is for everybody. Then he would be a Wolf and would wear the blue shirt to the Summertime activies as that is the proper uniform for his new status.

Wolf is a program for second graders or who are 8 yr. old, Tiger a 1st grade program or for boys who are 7 yr. old*. I've never seen any BSA literature that defines school years explicitly (Sept-Sept?, June-June?). For example, it is July and a boy has finished the 1st grade but has not yet started the second grade. Is he considered a first grader (Tiger) or second grader (Wolf eligible)? Hopefully, most units stay active in the summer. Traditionally, I've seen most units consider the boys to be in the higher grade level (i.e. Wolf in the above example and entitiled to all privileges that comes with it). I've taken boys who have completed the third grade but not yet started the fourth grade on a Webelos Woodlands camping outing. However, I also allowed a boy to finish up a Bear reqirement one summer with the stipulation that he finish up before classes start in the fall.

(*All for non-LDS units).(This message has been edited by acco40)

• 1 month later...

If your boy wants to start wearing the blue uniform (and you are willing to buy it) let him start now!

As of August 1st (after a rare "official" announcement from National) all new Tigers will be in the blue uniform. The orange tee shirts are gone!

Actually, I just got done looking at a council sponsored on-line Tiger Cub presentation. It appears that the orange shirts will remain, but that Tiger Cubs will have the option of wearing the blue uniform if they choose to do so.

Can anyone clarify this?

Unc.

According to BSA, once a uniform always a uniform. So technically, the current orange t-shirt Tiger uniform will always be an official uniform. However, as of Aug 1, 2004, the official Tiger uniform will be the blue shirt & pants with Tiger hat, belt, socks, & necker. From what I have been hearing, the boys can wear the orange t-shirt as an activity shirt and the adults can still wear the adult orange shirts as their Tiger Partner shirts.