The switch from green to kahkai

Perhaps it good that its too late for me to start a serious search but if I', not mistaken Khaki at one time referred to the fabric & not the colour. Nope not misspelled this time -- just ask Eamonn.

The point being that I think the discussion is centered on the green and/or tan. But my father would be pleased that I dragged that bit of trivia up.

Anyone have a really good online dictionary?

Bob

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually John, I think your reading is a bit off. I don't claim to be an expert but if you look at Sec 771 it says that no one can wear a military uniform unless otherwise provided for in law. Sec 7

You are mistaken. Khaki has always referred to the color, that is un Dockers and the Gap got into the act. Khaki comes from the Urdu word for dusty. Khakis have been made of wool, cotton, poly/cotton and probably even linen.

Khaki has run the gamut of shades from pinkish beige to greenish tan. Navy khaki is different from Army khaki which was different than Air Force khaki.

Recently, marketeers for Dockers and Gap have started calling any pants made of twill "khakis," which allows them to sell "blue khakis."

As I promised I did find a reference

BTW FOG... Dad died over 10 years ago & I'm guessing that we discussed Khaki when I was in scouting in the 70's or when the uniform changed. I'll check Bugle Boy's date of incorporation if you like...

http://open-dictionary.com/Khaki

Khaki

From open-dictionary.com - the free dictionary.

(English)

Pronunciation

IPA: /'kkiː/

Noun

(1) a dull, yellowish-brown colour, the colour of dust.

(2) a strong cloth of wool or cotton, often used for military uniforms.

khaki

khaki (kk, kk) noun

1. Color. A light olive brown to moderate or light yellowish brown.

2. a. A sturdy cloth of this color. b. khakis. A uniform made of this cloth.

Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Getting back to the original question...

I made the change last week. I have returned to uniformed participation with my Tiger, soon to be Wolf, son.

I have not worn a uniform since the spring of 1984. I was home from college and attended a troop meeting. Sad thing is, that was one of the last meetings for the troop. It folded a few months later.

My old uniform is like a museum. The troop no longer exists, the council no longer exists and the OA lodge no longer exists.

I hope I exist for a little while longer. ;)

(This message has been edited by Balding Eagle)

The article said, "Black is no longer useful on the uniform because it is not a color commonly found in nature. The drawback to black is that its color immediately catches the eye, he added. "

Does that mean that black was once useful and once black was removed from nature it ceased to be useful?

I don't know about the rest of you but I really don't like pockets on my sleeves. I hope that BSA doesn't go that way.