The switch from green to kahkai

I was an older scout when they made the switch. My friends and I groused about the "new" uniforms. However, many of us found the "new" uniforms under our Christmas trees and started wearing them right away. I had the chance to serve on camp staff the following summer and quickly had a full supply of the "new" uniforms.

It sure beat having your sox fall down if you happened to lose your garters ;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually John, I think your reading is a bit off. I don't claim to be an expert but if you look at Sec 771 it says that no one can wear a military uniform unless otherwise provided for in law. Sec 7

When I look into my Scouting closet, I see:

1)The uniform from when I was a Scout. (It has really shrunk although I was my current height at age 15.

2) My green exploring uniform from when I was an explorer

3) The khaki (tan?) uniforms from when I was first an adult leader and did my first Wood Badges.

4) The forest green (khaki?) uniform from when we had Leadership Corps wearing forest green at Wood Badge

5) The current uniforms.

6) A yellow uniform shirt I picked up by error (oops, forget that.)

Which do I like best? The forest green uniforms. I remember when I first saw the current uniforms what my thought were. They haven't changed :)

And when you write that the Troop uses the "old" uniforms, I might ask "Which old uniforms?" The 1910 uniforms, the 20s-30s uniforms? The 40s&50s uniforms? The 60s up to early 70s uniforms?

I even have some green and yellow garters. So if anyone needs some old uniform parts, I have plenty.

Through the 70s scouts wore knee socks that were held up by garter straps hidden by folding over the top of the sock. A tassle hung from the garter visbile below the cuff of the sock. A yellow tassle was worn by Cub Scouts, a green tassle by Boy Scouts, and a red tassle by Explorers.

Bob White is exactly correct. I should have said garter tabs.

This particular set of yellow garter tabs had great meaning to me because they were presented by Bob Untch, former Director of the Cub Scout Division at Philmont Training Center. Bob passed away last year and we lost a great Scouter.

"Ahhh..the tabs. Ok, I know what you are talking about now. Interesting how uniforms from yester-year and even street clothes from the past had so many more accessories than clothes of today."

I don't know about that . . . at least for men. Shoes, socks, belt, shirt, tie, pants, jacket. The big change since the 50s was the elimination of the hat for most men.

Women, on the other hand used to wear white gloves and a hat when they went to a department store.

I do think that most people dress like slobs today. Before Christmas, I went to see my daughter's "Winter Chorus Festival." I didn't wear a suit but I did wear a sweater and dress slacks. There were parents there in sweat pants and a t-shirt.

FOG, In the past, before the 50's, men also wore garters to keep their socks up. In the early 1900's men also wore gaiters over their shoes but under their pants as part of normal dress clotes. That's what I meant by yester-year, and accessories.

It is true though, we are not a country of class when it comes to clothing today. Sweat pants with the boy scout field shirt...ugghh I can't tell you how many times I have seen that. Growing up in my home, I was always taught to dress nice, not like a slob. Some scouts I see have no idea what it means to dress nice, or try to look spiffy in their Uniform. This goes for the general public as well.

FOG,

If we are going to look like any branch of the military, I prefer the Marines! I don't care for the Army's light green shirts at all. The Marines do wear a different shade of green pants, and a tan/khaki belt instead of green, but we are pretty close. Hey, we could go Navy and wear all white! How about some Dress Blues for COHs! We already have the campaign hats (covers).

• 1 month later...

"So if the BSA decides to adopt the current uniform of the US Army, they are free to do so."

Oh really, it says in the BSA rules and Regulations, Article X, Section 4, clause 4, b) Imitation of United States Army, Navy, or Marine Corps uniforms is phrohibited, in accordance with the provissions of the organization's Congressional Charter.

So I believe that you are wrong sir, and that whoever informed you of this is also wrong I mean no disrespect; however, that is what it says in the BSA rules and regulations and that is what is official.

YIS

S-nerd, what is imitation? If BSA changed the buttons on the green Army suit, would it be an "imitation"?

Right now, we're pretty close to imitating the Marines with a tan shirt and green pants. The colors aren't quite right but they're close enough.

FOG, I don't now exactly what National means by immitation however I believe that it means making the uniform of one or more of the armed forces and putting scot insignia on them to make it appear as though they are our own unique uniforms, however that in my opinion would be immitation.

YIS

Wow is this a hot topic. However, it is one that I have to chime in on.

First I need to say about uniforms in general. I have been a uniformed civilian employee of the Fed Gov for over 15 years, so wearing a uniform comes second nature. I joined scouts a year before the switch and thus wore both the new and older styles. As an adult, I continue to do the same, just bepends on my mood. However, I donot mix and match old with new. I go through great troubles to make sure that I have complete old style, tops, bottoms, tie and belt (including all matching materials ie wool with wool, cotton with cotton, ect). Its just my style, no more. I do like the new style uniforms, and wear them at council wide events. I think the problem is that I see to many scouters and scouts wearing it incorrectly (ie-not pressed, dirty too many patches or patches sewn on wrong, or may favorite, to small or too big.)

My advise to all scouters, if you wear the older style or the new, wear it proudly and correctly. The scouts will follow our lead.

I like the older styles because as a leader, I like to wear a uniform with a better cut (like officers in the military). The older poly wool green professional uniforms just look sharp, and when worn with a campaign hat and necktie, looks professional without looking like a soldier. Remember image is very important.

So next time you put on your scouter uniform, make sure it looks good.

Yours in Scouting,

BPwannabe