Can official Boy Scout Spats/leggings still be worn with the current Uniform? I know from Mike Waltons site( http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/hats.htm ), things like hats and neckerchiefs can still be worn.

But what about spats? I have a few pairs (dug out of an old chest from my grandmothers house) and did wear them camping years ago with my uniform. Most of the scouts had no idea what were around my ankles! My SM gave me time at a meeting to explain them; when they were worn, by whom etc...

Anyway, can they still be worn?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Full White Uniform for sea scouts once included white spats, do they still?

And how about this...Gray spats for Venturers, to match the pants! I thought those white spats mathcing the white explorer belts looked spiffy!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lots of old names in this thread, back when Scouter.com was a lot more "interesting"...I know Old Grey Eagle is now with the Great Master of all Scouts.  I miss the old days.  

Been looking to form an honor guard for parades and courts of honor. Been looking at getting some old BSA issue leggings. Saw the discussion on spats and leggings. Regardless of "Uniform Police" comme

I think they would look more "squared away" if they were all wearing matching footwear.  With different colored sneakers, it doesn't look that good.

Posted Images

It is my understanding, although my understandings have been wrong before, that a scout/scouter may wear any Uniform piece that was ever part of the "official" uniform as long as it is still in "good" condition. Such as the overseas/envelope hat, the red beret, the old cotton twill green shirt, and that of course would include the spats. Now, I think grey spats with the grey pants would be spiffy as well for Ventures.

Being a member of the uniform police I have to point out that there is a difference between spats and leggings.

I believe that leggings are prohibited by one of the many BSA publications. Unfortunately, my Insignia Guide and G2SS have both grown legs. A for legality of uniform items, with the exception of the has, you cannot mix and match uniform items from different uniforms. So you shouldn't wear your 1960s vintage leggings with your Oscar de la Hoya designed pants.

I find it interesting that leggings are banned when they are such a practical item for wear in the woods. Heck, that's why the Army and Marine Corps used them until the combat boot was developed.

I read things that say, "tuck your pants into your socks." Why not just wear leggings or gaiters and blouse your pants?

FOG says:

A for legality of uniform items, with the exception of the has, you cannot mix and match uniform items from different uniforms. So you shouldn't wear your 1960s vintage leggings with your Oscar de la Hoya designed pants.

That has always been my understanding, old uniforms are ok but not part old and part new. What I did not understand is that Oscar de la Hoya, in addition to being a welterweight boxing champion, also designed BSA uniforms. You have to admire such versatility. :)

But seriously, I have noticed in my son's troop that someone(s) seem(s) to have gotten ahold of some 1970's-style position-patches with the bright green background (which was the "new" style introduced while I was a Boy Scout) and that some of the boys wear them (with the current style of shirt.) I asked a Scout once if the patch he was wearing had been his father's or another relative's, and he said no, it had been given to him by the troop. It's technically a no-no, I guess.

Apologies to NJ Dude, I can never remember if it was Oscar de la Hoya or Dino De Laurentis who designed the current stylish but useless BSA uniform.

As for the position patches, that's a good question. They are insignia and not uniform items so I don't know how they fall. I would assume that it is okay to wear an old uniform with current CSPs and other patches. So, does it follow that one may wear old badges on a current uniform?

What if a Scout had earned First Class with the old green uniform and then bought a new uniform? Would he be required to get a new 1st class badge?

FOG, to my understanding, and I may be wrong, but I have always been under the impression that you can NOT wear new Insignia with an older uniform. If you wear a complete old uniform the insgnia on it must also be from that time period. My former Scoutmaster wears a Vintage uniform, with all vintage insignia, which he is always on an endless search for. Is insignia not a uniform item?

NJCubScouter, officially I do not think that a scout can wear older patches with the current uniform. But again, we need to find an official source to be sure.

FOG, I would assume that scout would need to attain a new first class badge. ..

For those of you who were scouts during the Uniform change, from green to kahaki... Did you all buy new Uniforms, or trade in uniforms, or insignia?

How long after the Uniform change did it take for the Kahkai to be in regualr Circulation?

Venturing Dude, "NJCubScouter, officially I do not think that a scout can wear older patches with the current uniform."

What about the thousand variations of patches since the de la Hoya uniform was adopted?

One of the Eisely Brothers wrote, "White spats also used to be part of the uniform for Explorers who wore a forest green uniform."

Leggings! Puttees! Maybe even gaiters but NOT spats.

"Has FOG changed his meds or something? He seems almost calm."

Ppppppbbbbbbbhhhhhh!

Spats were popular in the early part of the last century. Like white sidewalls on tires, they served to tell the world that you had the money to keep them clean. Spats cover the ankle, legging cover the calf.

http://www.dancecatalog.com/accessories/b&wspats.jpg

The leggings that Venture Dude is talking about look like this

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/image/4/46406.JPG

I don't know if Oscar desgined the current generation of yucky pants but he designed the the khaki/green uniform and the yellow/blue uniform for women Cub Scouters. In my collection of uniform items, I have a yellow blouse that has Oscar's name on the tag.