Neckerchiefs

Our troop, that does not currently have an adopted neckerchief, is considering adopting a troop neckerchief.

Neckerchiefs, at least to me, are a great Scout uniform tradition. Scout units that wear them really look sharp. Back when I was a Scout, the neckerchief was required with the official uniform in our troop. We wor a red neckerchief with yellow edge bands and BSA logo. I still have mine.

BTW - before there a a bunch of comments on what is official, etc. There is nearly a full page of information in the Insignia Guide 2003-2005 on pages 6-7 that details what is authorized and how to wear them.

In the BSA catalog, there are three basic types of stock "official" Boy Scout neckerchiefs available:

Solid Color (5 different colors available) with white imprint BSA logo

Mostly solid Color (6 different colors available) with printed gold or black broad edge stripe

Solid Color (11 different colors available) with embroidered BSA logo.

My experience is that the printed logos wear off over time.

There is also a special Kente cloth neckerchief.

I would like to know if your Boy Scout Troop:

1. Has adopted a troop neckerchief?

2. If so, is it a official stock neckerchief or a custom neckerchief?

3. How is the neckerchief worn? (Under the shirt collar, shirt collar turned under) Do all unit member wear it the same way or may they opt for either under the collar or collar turned under on an individual basis?

4. Please describe the adopted neckerchief. What is the basic color? I am especially interested in hearing about custom neckerchiefs.

5. If your troop has adopted a neckerchief is and when is its wear required?

6. Do all members of the troop including adults wear the adopted neckerchief? If not, what if any do others wear? Some variations that I have seen are:

Each patrol has their own neckerchief

Each rank has a different neckerchief

Senior Patrol Leaders and Patrol Leaders wear a different neckerchief

Adults wear different neckerchiefs than the Scouts.

Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters wear a different neckerchief than other adults.

Accordng to the insignia guide this is not correct but might make sense from an identification standpoint.

Some units present new Scouts with a Troop Neckerchief (and sometimes the Handbook and other items). Does your troop do that?

Also, about neckerchief slides? If your troop wears neckerchiefs, do they wear the official Boy Scout Neckerchief Slide or do they wear custom made neckerchief slides or woggles? What are some of the custom slides that are worn.

Our troop is currently leaning towards one of the official stock neckerchiefs in a solid color with embroidered BSA logo. They could each wear at their option either the official BSA neckerchief slide or make a custom slide. Right now they are talking about the black neckerchief with silver embroidered logo. The adults would prefer something less somber, but it is up to the Scouts. We all, including adults, plan on wearing the same. We plan to wear them mostly for formal occasions (Courts of Honor, inspections, Scoutmaster Conferences, Boards of Review, visting other units, Opening and Dinner formations at Summer Camp, Camporee, etc.)

Does anyone out there use the Kente neckerchief? Does the whole unit wear it or is it for special purposes?

Also would like to hear about any special neckerchiefs that are out there.

Adults in our Troop who have completed Wood Badge do normally wear the Wood Badge neckerchief for special occasiions, and Eagles Scouts do the same with the Eagle Scout neckerchief.

I would appreciate all comments and opinions.

Thanks.

Owl62

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, this thread is OLD - I was barely out of high school when this conversation began (it's funny to think that this site is old enough that I could have joined as a youth member had I been more inte

Our troop, that does not currently have an adopted neckerchief, is considering adopting a troop neckerchief.   Neckerchiefs, at least to me, are a great Scout uniform tradition. Scout units that w

Our troop has voted on black (custom made) neckerchiefs that we have embroidered with the BSA logo on back (we needed a written statement for the person that does our embroidering that we were not inf

Our troop has voted on black (custom made) neckerchiefs that we have embroidered with the BSA logo on back (we needed a written statement for the person that does our embroidering that we were not infringing on a copyrighted symbol and had permission to use it!) and it has our troop number and city (gold lettering) on back too. The black background makes the gold BSA logo show up really nice. Besides, Black & Gold were my high school and college colors! (Hey, the color scheme was picked before my family was involved with the troop.)

Do all wear it? They should but we usually get 90% compliance and then it slowly drifts to about 50% and then with gentle reminders is creeps back up to 90% and then cycles through again.

How do we wear it? I told the boys "how" was not as important as having all of us wear it in a uniform fashion. On my own when representing our troop as B&Gs, district events, etc. I wear mine over the collar (collar rolled under) but the troop opted to wear the the neckerchief (moms, please don't call them scrarfs, or scarves?) under the collar. About half (skinny ones) button their top button, half leave it open on top.

As for "requirements", most know that a uniform is not required for the BSA but it is one of the methods. Therefore, I would not say we require it for anything but our troop desires it for all troop meetings, COHs, traveling on outings, etc. During the summer months, the boys sometimes choose (and seek my approval) to wear an activity uniform to troop meetings. I usually give it my blessing after their patrol can sucessfully complete a uniform inspection.

I've worn my McLaren(?) tartan neckerchief once or twice and most have no clue what it symbolizes. Same for cream colored WB neckerchief.(This message has been edited by acco40)

• Upvote 1

Owl162,

I, too, am quite attached to the wearing of the neckerchief. As you point out they are both traditional and look sharp. In answer to your queries.

1. Yes, we have adopted a troop neckerchief.

2. We wear a custom neckerchief.

3. We wear our neckerchief under the collar. No one has asked or wanted to wear it with collar turned under.

4. Our neckerchief is red with black piping and embroidered with our troop logo. We purchase the blank neckerchiefs and have them embroidered locally.

5. Boys and adults wear the same troop neckerchief. We present new scouts with the neckerchief, troop hat and handbook. Our chartering organization has recently started to purchase our neckerchiefs. As for slides, some wear the official, some don't. Some wear wooden slides, some leather, a few have worn old slides that their fathers have let them wear. I make turk's heads out of leather that I occasionally give out. Some of our boys are just now starting to build small collections of slides and other things. Our troop was started just over a year and a half ago and none of our boys have been in boy scouting longer than that. Some of us adults who were in as boys will wear a variety of slides and neckerchiefs from time to time so the scouts can get a tastes of other things.

I will wear my troop neckerchief, Philmont, Brownsea 22, 51 and 85 jambo and lodge neckerchief. I have a few slides I like to wear, all custom made by myself or others, a black leather turk's head, an old stlye fleur de lis, a Baden Powell slide, a carved scout sign given to me by a great scouter some 20 years ago and a brass arrowhead given to me nearly 25 years ago by another grand old scouter.

We wear our neckerchief any time we wear the field uniform.

Many units our area have custom troop neckerchiefs, most I have notices are embroidered. I prefer the embroidered option, they are more expensive but they look better and tend to wear longer.

As to the color that your troop is considering, while I tend to like darker colors, black is not a color I would choose to go with the scout uniform, I like a bit more color with the tan shirt. Our red with black is a great combination, distinctive and easily recognizable. My only suggestion would be to choose the colors carefully, you'll have to live with them for a long time. I've seen some really nice neckerchiefs and some that really looked, well, not so good.

• Like 1

Troop I'm with:

1. Yes

2-4. Custom Neckerchief. We got a custom patch from national (Eagle head with flag in background. Bottom of path says "Troop 5 Scott AFB"

Patch is sewn on gold neckerchief. The neckerchief if worn under to collar.

5. Required at Court of Honors.

6. Boys and adults are given a neckerchief, only a few wear it meetings other than COH.

Our troop does have a custom neckerchief. We had a contest among our scouts, parents, and siblings to design the Logo. The neckerchief is black with orange piping. The Logo is a campfire in red, yellow, orange and brown, with "90" in the flames of the campfire.

We insist on neckerchief wear at COH's and other formal activities, and summer camp. They are not usually worn at regular meetings, except by me. I love neckerchiefs and have a collection of over 200 of them!

ANYONE WANT TO TRADE??

• Like 1

We use a stock neckerchief that is given the scouts when they reach First Class. It is worn for COHs and special events. The scouts choose to wear it under an open collar. Other times the scouts can wear any neckerchief of their choice, or none. They may wear any slide they wish with any neckerchief.

Bob

• Upvote 1

We wear a custom neckerchief. It is Green with Gold piping and the troop logo screened on it. We also wear troop hats and have a troop slide that we had made up. It it in the shape of the lower half of Michigan with a Fluer De Ley in the center with the troop number at the top. It is also green with gold. The scouts have to have to wear all three at every meeting and when traveling to events. We give them to them when they crossover into or join the troop.

One consideration for a practical neckerchief is to cut squares instead of triangles. I suggest making the adult neckerchief larger than the Scouts'. You may have the material cut to size, stitched or hemmed and have a color design sewn on.

You may consider having a troop contest for the choice of logo. You can use a stencil technique or silk screen with permanent ink for finishing the design yourself.

At one time, the neckerchief could be used for a head bandage, arm sling, or ankle support. The smaller triangle neckerchiefs can only be used for decoration and custom. The smaller neckerchiefs look good at ceremonies and inspection time and are generally cooler in warm weather but lack sufficient size for function.

FB

• Thanks 1

Yes, we have a troop neckerchief. It is official stock. We wear the neckerchief with the collar turned under. All Scouts who have participated in an overnight campout with the unit is awarded the neckerchief and slide. Our neckerchief is Maroon and Gold with a Gold BSA print logo.

We are planning our own custom neckerchiefs for all leaders. It will be Maroon with Gold Embroidered Logo with our Charter name and troop number.

Each of our Scouts may wear any slide that they desire. One of our Scouts has a bronze arrowhead slide from his father. Some wear slides that they carved during camp.

We wear neckerchiefs during inspections, COH, BOR, and District events. Our Eagle Scouts wear their Eagle neckerchiefs and WoodBadgers wear their WB neckerchief for COH or District presentations.

Matua

1. Yes

2. Official stock.

3. Under the shirt collar.

4. Navy with silver embroidery.

5. We expect it to be worn at all times the uniform is worn, with one exception - when they are told not to. We normally wear uniforms to all troop meetings (unless activities dictate otherwise), COHs, and special events. Normally, when we leave for a campout, we meet in uniform, but without the neckerchiefs. The boys tend to lose their slides when we're camping. Plus, they are not that comfortable if it's hot. Same thing with Summer Camp, we report to dinner each night in uniform, but we leave the neckerchiefs off. Just too hot in July.

6. All youth and adults wear the neckerchief. I don't have a problem with a scout wearing a different neckerchief from time-to-time. But I would want him to wear the official troop neckerchief for COHs or when we're in public together.

We have a troop neckerchief, screened with the logo of our CO. We haven't had any longevity problems with the screened neckerchiefs.

We haven't been too happy with our current supplier so we've been looking at other options. The Scout Shop is out because they want us to buy a minimum of 108.

We're looking at some other options like Stadri Emblems (www.stadriemblems.com) and a company in the UK found at http://www.scoutneckers.com

We wear it under the collar (when the Scouts remember to wear it. For some reason they lose them).

We allow other neckers such as Eagle or OA neckers at troop meetings but not when we go someplace as a unit.

Slides are just about anything. Official BSA, film canisters, camp projects, etc..

We do present the new Scouts with cap, book and necker at crossover but the parents pay for it.

When boys cross over to our Troop, we give them a stock, two color neckerchief that is maroon and gold. At the first COH after they make 1st Class, we have a pretty serious cermeony where a younger Scout takes that neckerchief off, and an older Scout puts on his permanent Troop neckerchief, which is red with white piping, and embroidered with an owls on a log, and our Troop number and city. My wife and I make the neckerchiefs, and then we pay to have them embroidered. Lots of 24 cost $128.00 now that the artwork has been done.

The stock neckerchiefs look pretty ratty by the time a boy earns his Troop neckerchief. Washing them really takes a lot out of them.

All our boys wear their neckerchief under the collar, but no one knows how or when that started.

Neckerchiefs are worn at all meetings between Sept. and May, when the SPL usually declares full uniforms optional. Slides are 90% the stock metal slide, but we have a couple of guys who have made their own, and wear them proudly. My son is trying to get his Patrol to make a Patrol slide, but cooperation has been lacking (see other thread).

Adults in our Troop do not wear neckerchiefs. We are either open collar, or wear the green tie. Except for one guy who wears a red stripped tie with a BSA emblem with his uniform, whick looks silly, but he means well, I guess.

Mark

1. Yes

2. Custom neckerchief

3. We wear it under the shirt Collar, a few of the old rocking chair patrol (adults) wear them over their collar.

4. Our Neckerchief is blue with an Indian Head on it, with a camp fire in the back round with smoke. Do not know how or when it was adopted for the troop.

5. The neckerchief is required at all events when the Uniform is being worn.

6. All the Troop members wear it.

Uniformity when wearing the Neckerchief is important. Everyone in the Troop should wear them the same way. But what is nice to see, is a variation in Neckerchief Slides. We motivate scouts to create their own so that it can be something that is unique to them and they can be proud of.

VentureScoutNY

1. Yes

2. Custom neckerchief

3. We wear it under the shirt Collar, a few of the old rocking chair patrol (adults) wear them over their collar.

4. Our Neckerchief is blue with an Indian Head on it, with a camp fire in the back round with smoke. Do not know how or when it was adopted for the troop.

Uniformity when wearing the Neckerchief is important. Everyone in the Troop should wear them the same way. But what is nice to see, is a variation in Neckerchief Slides. We motivate scouts to create their own so that it can be something that is unique to them and they can be proud of.

VentureScoutNY

1. Yes

2. Custom neckerchief

VentureScoutNY