Neckerchiefs

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, this thread is OLD - I was barely out of high school when this conversation began (it's funny to think that this site is old enough that I could have joined as a youth member had I been more inte

Our troop, that does not currently have an adopted neckerchief, is considering adopting a troop neckerchief.   Neckerchiefs, at least to me, are a great Scout uniform tradition. Scout units that w

Our troop has voted on black (custom made) neckerchiefs that we have embroidered with the BSA logo on back (we needed a written statement for the person that does our embroidering that we were not inf

"I am somewhat curious about the troops who present a neckerchief to the Scout upon achieving First Class or some other milestone such as an overnighter."

The probably took their lead from those karate schools that make you "earn" your white belt.

• 2 months later...

I know of a woman who makes custom neckerchiefs. She mostly does embroidered eagle neckerchiefs, but did some troop neckerchiefs for my cousin. The boys look so good in their scout shirts with red neckerchiefs. Each neckerchief has their name embroidered on it and the troop number and year.

They are unified and proud of their uniforms. I think she only charged $5 for each neckerchief.

She doesn't have a website up and running yet, but her phone number is 801-809-9264

and her email is cstromberg1@hotmail.com. On the packaging it had her home address in Centerville, UT, but I probably shouldn't give that out on the Web.

Good Luck!!

• 15 years later...
On 2/29/2004 at 7:10 PM, eagle90 said:

Our troop does have a custom neckerchief. We had a contest among our scouts, parents, and siblings to design the Logo. The neckerchief is black with orange piping. The Logo is a campfire in red, yellow, orange and brown, with "90" in the flames of the campfire.

We insist on neckerchief wear at COH's and other formal activities, and summer camp. They are not usually worn at regular meetings, except by me. I love neckerchiefs and have a collection of over 200 of them!

ANYONE WANT TO TRADE??

Yes. I want to trade.

On 3/4/2004 at 8:58 PM, Fat Old Guy said:

Being a card carrying member of the Uniform Police, I am required to point out that making a neckerchief other than the official size is a big no-no. That said, I am a scofflaw and wear one that is huge.

I wear the old national-issue full-squares . The ones from the 1930’s are soft as silk, cool, and so comfortable round the neck. Needless to say, they can only be worn over a tucked-in collar.

On 2/29/2004 at 7:24 PM, Bob White said:

We use a stock neckerchief that is given the scouts when they reach First Class. It is worn for COHs and special events. The scouts choose to wear it under an open collar. Other times the scouts can wear any neckerchief of their choice, or none. They may wear any slide they wish with any neckerchief.

Bob

That’s a super idea. When I was a scout, we wore a variety of neckerchiefs - camp,event, award, national issue troop color, vintage full-squares of various colors to troop meetings I. My buddy, who took me to my first troop meeting wore a huge, white, rayon, TMR full-square that I wanted to wear so badly.

Wow, this thread is OLD - I was barely out of high school when this conversation began (it's funny to think that this site is old enough that I could have joined as a youth member had I been more internet savvy then!). Anyway, as long as it's been resuscitated ...

1) Yes, we have a troop neckerchief 2) It's the stock black neckerchief with silver trim 3) It's worn by all the boys under the collar, except for one boy who wears a vintage uniform and so prefers to wear his over the collar to better fit the era of his attire 4) The black and silver go with their patrol emblem, which is a silver knight, and their patrol flag, which is black and white and silver. These are the official colors of our troop 5) They always wear their neckers, even when only the activity uniform is worn (black t-shirt and Scout shorts/socks/belts) 6) All the youth members wear neckers, but none of the adults do except for me (though I am a unit commissioner, so I suppose I am outside the parameters of this survey - but I feel naked without a necker no matter my position!)

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 3
  • 2 years later...
On 2/29/2004 at 7:10 PM, eagle90 said:

Our troop does have a custom neckerchief. We had a contest among our scouts, parents, and siblings to design the Logo. The neckerchief is black with orange piping. The Logo is a campfire in red, yellow, orange and brown, with "90" in the flames of the campfire.

We insist on neckerchief wear at COH's and other formal activities, and summer camp. They are not usually worn at regular meetings, except by me. I love neckerchiefs and have a collection of over 200 of them!

ANYONE WANT TO TRADE??

I also love neckerchiefs and have several hundred in my collection. I especially love the vintage full-squares. I have a lot of dupes and would gladly send them to a fellow neckerchief fan.

• Upvote 1
On 3/1/2004 at 8:34 PM, Proud Eagle said:

My troop uses the official dark green neckerchief with embroidered logo and edges in red. To my knowledge every troop in my home town uses that same neckerchief. I don't really know why that developed that way, but it did.

New Scouts are usually presented a neckerchief during the bridge crossing ceremony, or their first troop meeting.

At one time every youth and adult was expected to wear the neckerchief at every meeting. Now it is only loosely encouraged.

Also, it is common to see other neck wear in use. This is especially true of the adult leaders. Many choose to wear bolo ties, or special neckerchiefs. Occasionally a youth member will also wear a bolo or other neckerchief.

Most people wear the neckerchief under the collar. I personally despise that method of wear and instead turn the collar under and wear the neckerchief over it. The troop has never really set a policy on this matter, to my knowledge.

I would never be without a neckerchief and I much prefer to wear mine over the collar.

On 3/2/2004 at 1:32 AM, Eamonn said:

The Scout Group in which I was a Scout and Venture Scout back in England had a really nice necker. No one seems to know how it came about, as we were one of the early Troops. The 17th Fulham (Pioneers) Neckerchief was black with a quarter inch white border and a patch which was black with a white rope border meeting in a reef knot inside the rope were two crossed axes.

The neckerchief was part of the offical Scout uniform so it was worn with the uniform. At the time the Scout shirt was a dark green.

I don't wear a necker very often but seem to have a lot. In fact I seen one from the 75 Jamboree selling for over $200.00 on e-bay. I have the full set from all the sub-camps.

The Lad who attended the last word jamboree gave me the necker from the English contingent. I have never counted how many. Some years back I got them out and OJ seen them, he was only a little fellow but he looked at me and said "Daddy when you die can I have all of them"

At least they will find a good home.

I'm not sure where I will be!!

Eamonn

You have a wonderful son.

On 2/29/2004 at 10:23 PM, Fuzzy Bear said:

One consideration for a practical neckerchief is to cut squares instead of triangles. I suggest making the adult neckerchief larger than the Scouts'. You may have the material cut to size, stitched or hemmed and have a color design sewn on.

You may consider having a troop contest for the choice of logo. You can use a stencil technique or silk screen with permanent ink for finishing the design yourself.

At one time, the neckerchief could be used for a head bandage, arm sling, or ankle support. The smaller triangle neckerchiefs can only be used for decoration and custom. The smaller neckerchiefs look good at ceremonies and inspection time and are generally cooler in warm weather but lack sufficient size for function.

FB

I love the old full-squares.

Hey @ScoutWithNecker a really neat function of the forum here is "Multiquote." 

You click the little plus sign next to the word "Quote" for all the posts you want to quote. 

Then you hit the button that says "Quote # Posts"

1 minute ago, ScoutWithNecker said:

I love the old full-squares.

6 minutes ago, ScoutWithNecker said:

You have a wonderful son.

8 minutes ago, ScoutWithNecker said:

I would never be without a neckerchief and I much prefer to wear mine over the collar.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2004 at 11:10 AM, Owl62 said:

1. Has adopted a troop neckerchief?  Yes

2. If so, is it a official stock neckerchief or a custom neckerchief? Custom

3. How is the neckerchief worn? (Under the shirt collar, shirt collar turned under) Do all unit member wear it the same way or may they opt for either under the collar or collar turned under on an individual basis? Over the collar and that was determined to be the uniform standard by the PLC

4. Please describe the adopted neckerchief. What is the basic color? I am especially interested in hearing about custom neckerchiefs. Three different units (Troop, Crew, Ship), each has had various color neckers and piping/trim  over the years, but all 3 have had custom unit log embroidered into the necker

5. If your troop has adopted a neckerchief is and when is its wear required? Troop wears neckers whenever they are in field uniforms. Crew and Ship wear neckers with field and activity uniforms, but not with activities where it might be a hazard or ruin the necker or would be problematic (backpack for example)

6. Do all members of the troop including adults wear the adopted neckerchief? If not, what if any do others wear? Some variations that I have seen are: Everyone has and wears the unit necker, but no one gets fussy if someone is wearing Wood Badge, Jambo, Philmont etc. In fact we have encouraged it as it raises questions and interest.