The Uniform Police and uniforming errors

You don't have to be British or even English to belong to the Royal Navy or the RAF. In fact many of those that serve don't come from the UK.Some hold British citizenship as they are members of the Commonwealth. Unless of course they were born in Ireland before 1933. In which case they are Irish and do not belong to the Commonwealth. Still they would be kind of old.

Eamonn

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

November 10, 1775 is the birthday of the United States Marine Corps. Recruiting started in Philadelphia at Tunn Tavern.

As for proper appearence in uniform and patch placement, when a boy joins scouting an adult leader should show him the handbook inside covers so he knows were to place the patches. I also insist that the boys sew on their own patches and merit badges. It doesn't hurt a boy to learn to sew.

USN-Ret.

The 2003-2005 BSA Insignia Guide is very clear on services stars on page 42:

"Service stars may be worn by all youth and adult members who have at least one year tenure with the Boy Scouts of America. The stars are worn with the appriopriate color background for the phase of Scouting in which the service was rendered. If an individual's primary registration is in one phase of Scouting and later in another, separate stars with the appropriate background and numerals may be worn simultaneously. Or, leaders may combine youth and adult tenure into one or two stars with blue background."

Based on this it is proper for an registered adult Scout leader to wear any or all services stars for service rendered, at their option - including those earned as a youth member - as long as the stars are displayed properly on the uniform.

I can find very little in the 2003-2005 Insignia Guide as to what constitutes an official "complete" uniform. Many of the insignia are optional or the wearer "may" wear the items.

Some references to what must be worn are:

Page 1. "No alteration" means to me, that if the US Flag insignia is sewn on the uniform shirt, it should not be removed - same for the Boy Scouts of America strip - etc.

Page 7: Cub Scouts wear the offical Cub Scout navy blue web belt with metal buckle and Cub Scout Emblem. Boy Scout wear the offical olive web belt with the metal Boy Scout Buckle (may wear the leather camp belt with offical BSA buckles as a option. This at least implies that a belt must be worn with uniforms.

I can't really find anything in the guide that REQUIRES wear of much else in the way of insignia. Although I may have missed something or misinterpreted the written word. There are references in the guide where in my opinion that the required wear of certain insignia is at least implied.

There are illustrations that show where insignia are to be worn if worn.

I find no REQUIREMENT to wear colored shoulder loops, Council shoulder patches, positon or rank insignia, etc. in most cases.

There may be other publications that dictate some requirements. And admittedly, I have not read every single word in the guide.

I think a lot of uniforming, in addition to the official rules, should be based on common sense. After all, not everyone is priviledged to wear the Scout uniform. Registered members should strive to wear the official uniform properly and to wear insignia items that at least identify their registered status and at least some accomplishments. (A Scout is... Loyal....)

I encourage all members to wear the uniform as correctly as possible. And not just correctly but clean and neat. I am saddened to see members wearing wrinkled, soiled, or torn uniforms. (A Scout is... Clean...) I think of that as not showing respect for the uniform, the organization, or it's members. I try to make uniform corrections to others quietly and privately (A Scout is. Courteous; Kind...)

Personally I wear little on my uniform other than the Flag patch, BSA strip, council patch, unit numbers, position patch, trained patch, OA lodge insignia. For special occasions I may add my WB beads, neckerchief and woggle, service stars, and a few others.

I do however tend to wear from my left shirt pocket button, one of the many friendship knots given me. They are some of my most cherished Scout "awards". I can find no reference to friendship knots in the guide. But, "A Scout is....Friendly...."