Can anyone tell in the policy on hats? When my son and I joined our troop we were informed that this troop was a hatless troop. As the years past I achieved the committee chair. This year we selected a new Scoutmaster. He made a statement that there is no such thing as a hatless troop. It is Boy Scout policy that full uniform is a hat. He then held an election as to what hat the boys want to wear. None of the boys want to vote on the hats he selected for voting on. It seems that they do not want to wear hats. I was told that the troop has the option of not have the hat as a mandatory item. Is this true?

There's the "official BSA Uniform" and then the individual troop variations of it. Many troops have variations that stray far (IMO, too far) from the standard. These include everything from camo pants to different patch placement schemes on shirts.

I don't have any problem with a troop being "hatless", at least as the "standard troop uniform". That does not mean that a boy cannot wear a hat, if he chooses to. Our troop, I assume, would be called "hatless". We don't require wearing an official BSA hat. A few boys have them, most of them don't. For most, the only time they wear hats are in the winter, and they tend to be non-BSA knit hats.

Another example - Our troop also has our "troop rope". It's a six foot rope we give each Scout on their first campout. We teach them how to tie it in a sinnet and hook it on a biner. While not "official BSA", it is part of our troop uniform. Boys are encouraged to always have their troop rope on them. It's great for teaching knots "on the fly", and could be useful in case of an emergency.

Bottom line, I believe the boys should decide. Whether it's the PLC or a troop-wide vote. I would first have a vote as to "hat" v. "no-hat". Then, if "hat" is chosen, let the boys choose from all available options. I don't believe the SM should overrule unless what they choose is inappropriate (too expensive, not official uniform, etc.).

My 2 cents.... good luck, and welcome to the forum!

From the BSA Boy Scout Uniform Inspection Sheet:

For headgear (hats) two styles are permissible: a visored cap or a campaign hat. All troop members must wear one of the headgear chosen by a vote of the troop.

Also note that "Uniform" is one of the eight methods of Scouting. That said, wearing the proper uniform should be the goal but it is not mandatory for maintaining BSA registration.

All,

I have been in discussion with my Distrect Executive n this vary subject.

Th offical BSA Policy is.

Any of the past headgear may be worn if you can find it.

Example: If your troop vote to use the Overseas hat, then use it, if you can get enough. Or the Berets is another good example.

A hatless troop is also fine. (I dont like the Idea personally because of sun burn etc.)

My troop is voting this month on there head gear. Options will include the following:

Berets, Baseball Cap (BSA style), basball cap (our style with BSA logo and such. The design has already been approved by my local council).

YIS SM41

I don't have a problem with a hatless troop. I personally don't care for the baseball cap and haven't worn one in years. Hats on the trail are another matter. The baseball hat is not very good for that purpose either.

If the boys vote to not have a hat as a standard uniform item, then that should be their prerogative. I disagree with other modifications to the uniform. Units should comply with the rules on insignia, etc., but if they don't want the hats, let them go bare headed.

The official uniform includes a hat, and there are two hats to choose from. (see acco40)

If a boy is to be "in uniform", that means he wears all the parts. It makes no more sense to vote away hats than it would to vote away pants or socks or neckerchief. What do you tell the boy that wants to wear a hat? You cannot tell a boy that he cannot wear any part of the official uniform. Troops do not have the authority to decide what they consider to be a uniform. If a boy chooses individually to skip the hat, so be it. But a troop cannot legislate that hats are not allowed.

I agree FS. When I said our troop was "hatless", I only meant that we don't require headgear. For example, when we have our official uniform inspection in a couple of weeks, headgear is not a requirement. And, when we take our "official" photo, no one will be wearing a hat.

With that said, some of our boys do wear headgear from time to time. I usually wear the campaign hat, except in the summer, when it is just too hot. I also sometimes wear a baseball cap.

Other than that, the official insignia guide prevails. Well, as I mentioned, we do have the "troop rope" hanging from their belt. ;-)

I do own a official uniform hat, but seldom wear it. I think it has hung on the rope in my room for two years now. I just dont like it mainly the mesh back.

I also own another ball cap with the "On my Honor-Timeless Values" logo on it. That I do wear some. I prefer it over the BSA hat.

I have a OD boonie hat which I feel is the best for backpacking, etc. I just dont like the fact that a bunch of scouts wearing those just wouldnt look as uniformed.

Finally, I also wear mostly my "Ranger Cap" which is a military patrol cap. Yes, it is in woodland camo, too. And it has a "Scout" tab on it. Kind of like the "Ranger" tab; just that it says "Scout" on it. That hat also has elastic sewn into the back so it will still fit no matter my hair length.

I would like to wear a beret for uniform wear, but I dont think many people in my troop would go for it.:(

Neckerchiefs and official BSA head gear are optional wear in Boy Scouts and Venturing. One formal situation it can be worn for is uniform inspections, if you are a youth member. the insignia guide 2003-2005 page 3 reminds us that the hat is not worn by adults in formal situations.

The activity uniform allows scouts to wear a customized troop or event hat.

"the insignia guide 2003-2005 page 3 reminds us that the hat is not worn by adults in formal situations." - Please explain. Does that imply that for a formal flag ceremony (is there any other kind?) that an adult Scouter should not wear his uniform hat? That seems ludicrous to me on the surface.

Our Troop chose to wear a cap made by a company in Seattle. It is thin nylon, wonderful in Summer, breahtes well, anddoesn't hold water or sweat. They match our uniform shirts (BSA) and are embroidered with our Troop name and town on the side. The Scouts seem to prefer it over the "offical" hat.

OOPS! Mia Culpa, Adult scouters do not wear a hat when in dress uniform. That refers to the suit and tie uniform.

Otherwise hats are optional to the uniform, bt may be worn for formal occassions.

BW

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

In my last Troop, a few Scouts wore the official visored cap, some wore no hat, and some wore whatever baseball cap they felt like wearing. I discussed with the PLC at a monthly meeting, and they agreed that we should standardize on something, whatever it was. After some discussion, they decided that because they didn't like the visored cap, they'd design their own, and if a Scout wanted to wear a cap, the Troop cap would be the one they wore. We got them made downtown, embroidered with their names, and provided the first one free. Replacements were $6. Worked out great, and they designed 'em, so they couldn't complain!

KS

Would it be correct to say that if a troop chooses the "no hat" option that it's members should be bareheaded? That is to say "no hat" means "NO HAT," not "wear any ol' hat you like"? Just wearing your favorite ball cap while in uniform isn't an option.