Should boy scouts wear uniform to cubscout...

The Cubmaster was new (not just to the position, but to Scouting also.)wearing a new "empty" uniform.

The unknown Scouter was also new and not familar to the Pack or CM.

The new CM is a very quiet (shy) person and was intimadated by this other man by both his actions and his uniform. (Much like a new private is bullied by a Drill SGT)

The Pack was confused as to what this unknown man's position was by his actions as well as his uniform (in addition to all his patches he wore "Silver" District Shoulder tabs, leftover from his previous Council).

Yes he would have caused problems even if he did not wear a uniform, but I think the uniform made things worse. Making it appear he was the authority not the Cub Master.

My point is what dsteel said: "What role are you playing...."

Dad or Scout Leader?

And as I said before: "What do you want to accomplish by wearing it?"

If it is to show support? Great!

But if it is to give your ego a boost by showing all the "Little Scouts" what a great Scouter you are? Leave it in the closet.

I would think that a Boy Scout in a room of Cub Scouts would be like moths to a flame. What great publicity for creating future Boy Scouts. If I was cub master I would maybe introduce him to the group and direct any questions they have about Boy Scouts to him. If he has lots of homework he would still probably attract a following once the cubs knew he was a boy scout. As long as he is kind to the Cubs I don't see a down side.

• 4 weeks later...

The boys in our pack LOVE when the Boy Scouts come to meetings. It started with one older sibling who is a Boy Scout and has begun helping one of the dens as Den Chief. He loves what he does, is always in full uniform, and so we have him involved in every pack meeting. That has led to my older son deciding to at first just go the pack meeting, but then to go and in his uniform. The following meeting, a third older Boy Scout sibling attended...in uniform. As they come in uniform, we always ask our Boy Scouts to come on up and give us a hand. They are actually looking forward to the next meeting! The really cool thing in all of this is that the Cubs are now seeing and getting to know Boy Scouts, and they are just in awe of these older boys. If they didn't come in uniform, noone would know they were Scouts. Also, two of the dads who recently became part of the troop at the CO come to the pack meetings now in uniform. There is no confusion as to who leads, but they are called up front to lend a hand too. Recently the 3 Scouts and 2 Scouters, all in uniform, provided guitar music and song leading; it was really neat. And no, they did not come as anything other than family, but they are proud of being in Scouts, and so they wear their uniform. It has been nothing but positive.

But Captainron, you still have not said what the "experienced Scouter" actually DID -- other than to sit there in a uniform with knots all over it.

In your second post you say he was wearing silver loops "leftover" from a previous council. If you mean that he does not currently hold a council or district-level position, that is a somewhat different story. His uniform should be consistent with his current position. This may imply that he was in fact TRYING to upstage the Cubmaster. But unless he actually DID something to upstage the Cubmaster, I don't see why the Cubmaster should have felt upstaged or intimidated. That is the product of inexperience.

"I don't see why the Cubmaster should have felt upstaged or intimidated"

Probably because he views Scouting as something that he does for that one hour a week and finds it strange that anyone would wear their uniform when they are not compelled to do so. I know many Scouters who shed their shirts as soon as the meeting is over, not to keep it clean but so no one will see them in it. They are as bad as some of the Scouts.

When I wear my uniform, I always meet interesting people. Little boys come up to me and announce, "I'm a Cub Scout" or adults will tell me that they are Scouters or Eagle Scouts. I once stopped at a country store on my way back from a Scouting event and stepped into the middle of an impromptu meeting of the local District Committee. They introduced themselves, bought me a soda, bought sodas for the scouts in my car and we passed some very pleasant time talking about this and that.

For the Boy Scout, absolutely. This is called showing the flag. A dear friend of mine was my 18 year old ASM when I was a very young SM. He had just moved into the area but told me about his previous Troop. He said that one time, they needed new members and he (and other boys) were invited to a Pack meeting to do recruiting. So he went in full Eagle Scout uniform, merit badge sash, medals, etc. and said "Join our Troop, work hard and you can look like me!" He got them all!

For the Cub Scout in the Boy Scout meeting: Probably. The only problem would come if some of the Boy Scouts (probably younger ones) would make fun of him for being a Cub Scout. You need to make sure that doesn't happen.

For you - For Cub Scout events or district/council events, absolutely. For Boy Scout events as a parent, probably not. Of course, if your are representing the Pack at a Boy Scout meeting, then in whatever uniform you choose.

• 2 weeks later...